Swiss money flight prelate talks to investigators

  • insubria87
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2013

      Swiss money flight prelate talks to investigators

      Scarano linked to money-laundering scheme

      08 July, 19:38

      (ANSA) - Rome, July 8 - Msgr Nunzio Scarano, the disgraced prelate at the centre of a money-laundering scandal, has been cooperating with prosecutors, officials said Monday.

      They added Scarano, who was questioned for about three hours on Monday, has provided information that could be helpful in other probes.

      The prelate was arrested last month on suspicion of planning to elude customs with 20 million euros in cash. He has denied charges that he conspired with a former Italian spy and a financial broker to try to secretly repatriate 20 million euros of laundered money from Switzerland to Italy.

      At the same time, authorities also arrested Giovanni Maria Zito, an agent in the AISI intelligence agency, and Rome broker Giovanni Carenzio.

      Police said Scarano and Zito got a private jet to fly back from Switzerland to Italy 20 million euros in cash for a family who were friends with Scarano.

      Zito is suspected of getting 400,000 euros for arranging cover for the flight.

      Scarano has been named in a separate probe into receiving money in Salerno near Naples.

      The arrests have been linked by the Italian media to past probes into alleged irregularities at the Vatican Bank, IOR.

      http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/english/2013/07/08/Swiss-money-flight-prelate-talks-investigators_8994638.html
    • handreadered
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2013
        Ed Campbell WWP Email Member (shes@...) I just received the following from a friend in SE Asia. He had been badly injured in a cycle accident. There are ways to provide affordable health care in the world. He thought he had fractured his pelvis.

        Hi,

        I went to the large French Hospital this afternoon. Doctor examined my right arm, shoulder and collar. No x-ray was needed here, all in working order, not enough pain for fracture.

        As for the hip and pelvis. I had a full pelvis x-ray done, no fractures of breaks, only bruised muscles. The doctor didn't think it was fractured, because I was still able to walk. I Mshould be better with 2-3 days bed rest, probably the weekend. I need to put ice packs on sore areas, 20 minutes each, a few times per day. Medications I was on from Bangkok were appropriate, but since didn't stop the pain, doctor switched to 4 other meds. Need to stretch, physical therapy, at home, once pain stops.

        Doctor visit and x-ray only $19, meds extra.