Why Written Contracts?

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26, 2013
      Randist Bo7b aka Bob Wynman WWP Email Member (bobalou@...) Well, Dennis, I've not backed out of any oral or written agreement in the last six decades, but, if you like, I'll make an exception in your case. Where did you get the idea that I might renege on a contract, Dennis??

      Generally, a handshake is all that I need when dealing with folks whose reputation I know & use written agreements mainly in case one of the parties involved becomes dead, missing, disabled or whatever, resulting in the remaining party(s) needing to deal with a relative, heir, or, worse yet, a lawyer.

      --bob
      Dennis Helbig WWP Member Baha'i investigator and carpenter (helbigdennis@...) Some people still believe the businessman's agreement is bond. That it is indeed more binding than a written contract. I'm surprised you ignore that, Bob. Somehow, I now wonder of your intent in business. Will you agree to an exchange orally and then back out of it? For some reason I now think you might.

      On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM, Bob Wynman <bobalou@...> wrote:

      Tom, for the purposes of teaching Volitional Science, I think that Galambos defined "contract" as:

      ""A voluntary agreement between two or more people who have property which they are desirous of exchanging the use and control thereof.""

      But no special definition of "contract" is needed here, Tom. It's pretty simple (OneLook Dictionary sez "a written legal agreement between two people or businesses that says what each must do for the other or ...". Obviously, if only one party signs, it's not a valid "contract". Would you honor a contract 'twixt you & Floyd that obligates you to pay Floyd $10K/week in perpetuity in return for a one time gift of a package of Twinkies from Floyd ... & that only Floyd has signed?

      Tom, Volitional Science is no more a religion than is Physical Science or Biological Science. While we realize that your use of the term is only for button-pushing and the irritation factor, it does detract from your dwindling credibility here.
    • Dennis Helbig

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27, 2013
            Dennis Helbig WWP Member Baha'i investigator and carpenter (helbigdennis@...) Honorable men always remember.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 27, 2013
              Randist Bo7b aka Bob Wynman WWP Email Member (bobalou@...) Honorability does not create infallibility, Dennis.

              While honorable men INTEND to remember accurately, Honorable men sometimes forget. Honorable men sometimes make errors. Honorable men, with noble intent, can do great evil if they don't know what they're doing. People, even honorable ones, do not know what they're doing when they act on beliefs based on imagination, faith, rather than on observation (Scientific Method).

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 27, 2013
                Dennis Helbig WWP Member Baha'i investigator and carpenter (helbigdennis@...) I think the concept of honor might be a foreign thing. See, it involves
                living what you say and saying what you live. If you keep to only that, how
                can you go wrong? You say all men are equal and yet do what it takes to
                have more than your equal. It's the Marano way to do the opposite. Do you
                enjoy being Marano? I don't.

              • audiolaw@...
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 27, 2013
                  Automatic Lie, a liberty loathing loony lowdown larcenous litigious little'ol LA living lying lightfooted liberal lawyer lacking legitimacy (AudioLaw@...) Bob Wynman:

                  What are the point of written contracts when you are against having
                  any neutral structure to enforce them?

                  Randist Bo7b aka Bob Wynman WWP Email Member (bobalou@...) Dennis, written communication, including contracts, has some advantages, specifically, it's an excellent method for reinforcing memory. It's more difficult to "forget" what was intended by an agreement, for example.

                  Dennis Helbig WWP Member Baha'i investigator and carpenter (helbigdennis@...) Because you emphasized written contract from the substandard dictionary you quoted. That, sir, is how definitions get altered and why substandard dictionaries come into existence. Attention to details.
                • J. Keen Holland