Good News and Bad News from Syria

  • kurt31416
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2013
      Kurt Pi WWP Member [kurt31416@...] First the bad news, (and don't get your hopes up too much on the
      good news, ain't a whole lot of good news to be found in Syria these

      The Bad News: The Sarin wasn't random, it was used in a key
      strategic battle, and it worked and gave Assad a huge victory that may
      have turned the tide of the war…for now.

      An excellent article, with lots of links….

      "On Wednesday Syrian tanks and soldiers overran a strategic town
      east of Damascus that for months has served as a critical supply route
      for arms funneled from Jordan
      3-2> .

      "The disaster has struck, the army entered Otaiba," a fighter from the
      town told Reuters
      RE93N0RB20130424> via Skype
      <http://www.businessinsider.com/blackboard/skype> . "The regime has
      managed to turn off the weapons tap."

      Rebels pulled out of Otaiba after more than five weeks of fighting,
      during which they accused the government of using chemical weapons
      against them on March 19
      <http://www.businessinsider.com/chemical-attacks-in-syria-2013-3> and
      April 9
      ical-weapons-probe-live> …

      A couple things they leave out, at least explicitly, it's the
      "moderate" insurgents we are supporting that were attacked, and
      the arms route is the arms coming from Jordan that everyone is talking
      about, our way of counterbalancing Al-Qaeda. They used it on our guys
      and it worked like a charm.

      And Israel/UK/France weren't specific on where it occurred, but the
      dates, April 9 and March 19 match…For Instance…

      ."To the best of our professional understanding, the regime used lethal
      chemical weapons against the militants in a series of incidents over the
      past months, including the relatively famous incident of March 19," Brun
      said. "Shrunken pupils, foaming at the mouth and other signs indicate,
      in our view, that lethal chemical weapons were used."

      He said sarin, a lethal nerve agent, was probably used..

      So, the bad news is Assad and the Alawites have started using the
      Chemical Weapons if they have plausible deniability and it's a key
      battle. And it works. And no one will do anything about it, unless
      it's blatant and everyone, including Assad, now knows it.

      My recommendation? Stay out, focus on what prevents the WMD leaving the
      country and falling into the hands of Al-Qaeda etc. A horror to
      contemplate, and all kinds of drawbacks, and not saying we should
      support it, but worth noting, Assad staying in power accomplishes both.

      The Good News: Hezbollah and Al-Qaeda are in a fight to the death.

      Al Qaeda threaten to set Beirut on fire over Hezbollah fighters in Syria

      The al-Qaeda affiliated Al Nusra Front on Wednesday warned Lebanese
      Michel Suleiman to withdraw Hezbollah forces from Syria or Beirut will
      "He must take immediate measures to prevent Hezbollah interference in
      internal affairs of Syria, or Beirut will be set on fire within the next
      hours", the extremist group said in a communique published on jihadist

      Hezbollah Prepares for Attacks by Jabhat al-Nusra in Lebanon

      The latest statement released by Jabhat al-Nusra threatening to launch
      strikes against Hezbollah, in Beirut in the city's southern suburb and
      Lebanon, is being taken seriously at the national security level and by

      It can no longer be denied that Jabhat al-Nusra has found fertile ground
      in the
      Palestinian refugee camps in the country, among the nearly one million
      refugees there, as well as in Lebanese Sunni areas, especially in
      ​​northern Lebanon near the Syrian border.

      According to sources close to Hezbollah, there are several possible
      that Jabhat al-Nusra might implement in Lebanon in response to the
      participation in battles to protect the Sayyida Zeinab shrine in
      Damascus and
      expel the Syrian opposition from the strategic city of al-Qusayr and its

      One scenario involves suicide bombers in public squares in Beirut's
      suburbs, a predominantly Shiite area and a Hezbollah popular and
      stronghold. Hezbollah recently ordered strict, yet low-key protective
      around mosques, hussainias and public markets in the southern suburbs.
      include Hezbollah security members conducting night patrols in most
      neighborhoods accompanied by dogs trained to detect explosives….

      Ok, not much for good news, plenty ways for that to go terribly wrong,
      including all those WMD laying around, Lebanon and who knows who else
      getting sucked in, Al-Qaeda with massive numbers of new recruits, and so
      on. But we knew that regardless. Look on the bright side Al-Qaeda and
      Hezbollah in a blood fued? It don't get no better than that.