So, What's "Objectivism"?

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2013
      Randist Bo7b aka Bob Wynman WWP Email Member (bobalou@...) For those unfamiliar with Objectivism, prior to calling for fumigation, here's a brief description by its creator (BTW, while I've studied Rand's work since 1966, as well as that of many who influenced her and whom she influenced, I'm not really an Objectivist, since I've graduated beyond the belief in the need of the State and have never really understood Rand's esthetics. However, the other three branches of her philosophy, Metaphysics, epistemology and ethics are all valid and rational:

      "At a sales conference at Random House, preceding the publication of Atlas Shrugged, one of the book salesmen asked me whether I could present the essence of my philosophy while standing on one foot. I did as follows:
      1.. Metaphysics: Objective Reality
      2.. Epistemology: Reason
      3.. Ethics: Self-interest
      4.. Politics: Capitalism
      If you want this translated into simple language, it would read: 1. “Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed” or “Wishing won’t make it so.” 2. “You can’t eat your cake and have it, too.” 3. “Man is an end in himself.” 4. “Give me liberty or give me death.”

      If you held these concepts with total consistency, as the base of your convictions, you would have a full philosophical system to guide the course of your life. But to hold them with total consistency—to understand, to define, to prove and to apply them—requires volumes of thought. Which is why philosophy cannot be discussed while standing on one foot—nor while standing on two feet on both sides of every fence. This last is the predominant philosophical position today, particularly in the field of politics.

      My philosophy, Objectivism, holds that:

      1.. Reality exists as an objective absolute—facts are facts, independent of man’s feelings, wishes, hopes or fears.

      2.. Reason (the faculty which identifies and integrates the material provided by man’s senses) is man’s only means of perceiving reality, his only source of knowledge, his only guide to action, and his basic means of survival.

      3.. Man—every man—is an end in himself, not the means to the ends of others. He must exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. The pursuit of his own rational self-interest and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life.

      4.. The ideal political-economic system is laissez-faire capitalism. It is a system where men deal with one another, not as victims and executioners, nor as masters and slaves, but as traders, by free, voluntary exchange to mutual benefit. It is a system where no man may obtain any values from others by resorting to physical force, and no man may initiate the use of physical force against others. The government acts only as a policeman that protects man’s rights; it uses physical force only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use, such as criminals or foreign invaders. In a system of full capitalism, there should be (but, historically, has not yet been) a complete separation of state and economics, in the same way and for the same reasons as the separation of state and church.

      “Introducing Objectivism,”
      The Objectivist Newsletter, Aug. 1962, 35 "

      --bob & lou

      MARK CARPENTER WWP Poster designated a girly man by Ducky (carpbear@...) Oh, sweet Jebus.

      ANOTHER xxxxxxx Objectivist.

      Would someone call Pest Control and send them out to fumigate the list?
    • Algae5636@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 20, 2013
        Al J WWP Email Member and Baha'i(Algae5636@... ) Lol.
        The only men who are an end unto themselves are those who have no offspring.
        The ones who have offspring don't get to exist for their own sake alone. They have to raise the children.

        In your 4th point, you begin by saying capitalism is a political-economic system, and end it by saying that in full capitalism there would be a separation of the state and economics.
        Make up your mind.
        :-)

        Randist Bo7b aka Bob Wynman WWP Email Member (bobalou@...) For those unfamiliar with Objectivism, prior to calling for fumigation, here's a brief description by its creator (BTW, while I've studied Rand's work since 1966, as well as that of many who influenced her and whom she influenced, I'm not really an Objectivist, since I've graduated beyond the belief in the need of the State and have never really understood Rand's esthetics. However, the other three branches of her philosophy, Metaphysics, epistemology and ethics are all valid and rational:

        "At a sales conference at Random House, preceding the publication of Atlas Shrugged, one of the book salesmen asked me whether I could present the essence of my philosophy while standing on one foot. I did as follows:

        Metaphysics: Objective Reality

        Epistemology: Reason

        Ethics: Self-interest

      • audiolaw@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 20, 2013
          Automatic Lie a lying looney liberal lawyer divorced from reality(AudioLaw@...)
          Randist Bo7b aka Bob Wynman WWP Email Member (bobalou@...)

          Objectivism, holds that:
          1. Reality exists as an objective absolute—facts are facts,
          independent of man’s feelings, wishes, hopes or fears. Of course, identifying what
          the fact are remains a problem. Objectivists have as many feelings, wishes,
          hopes and fears as anyone, and such feeling routinely lead to denying
          facts that they don't like.
          2. Reason (the faculty which identifies and integrates the material
          provided by man’s senses) is man’s only means of perceiving reality, his
          only source of knowledge, his only guide to action, and his basic means of
          survival. Like "facts," "reason" is often in the eye of the beholder.
          Defining "reason" as the faculty which identifies and integrates the material
          presented by man's senses allows Objectivists to exclude from "reason"
          anything that the decide that they have not "identified" or "integrated" into
          their senses. The most common things not "identified" or "integrated" are
          facts that the Objectivists don't like, or that undemine Objectivists'
          predetermined conclusions.
          3. Man—every man—is an end in himself, not the means to the ends of
          others. He must exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to
          others nor sacrificing others to himself. The pursuit of his own rational
          self-interest and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life.
          The concept that man exists only for his own sake isn't a fact, it's a
          wish or feeling of Objectivists. It is a conclusion, crafted to justify
          selfish action. It is equally odd to cast this wish or feeling in terms of
          "moral purpose", in a philosophy that defines personal greed as the only
          "moral" thing.
          4. The ideal political-economic system is laissez-faire capitalism.
          It is a system where men deal with one another, not as victims and
          executioners, nor as masters and slaves, but as traders, by free, voluntary exchange
          to mutual benefit. It is a system where no man may obtain any values from
          others by resorting to physical force, and no man may initiate the use of
          physical force against others. The government acts only as a policeman that
          protects man’s rights; it uses physical force only in retaliation and only
          against those who initiate its use, such as criminals or foreign invaders.
          In a system of full capitalism, there should be (but, historically, has not
          yet been) a complete separation of state and economics, in the same way
          and for the same reasons as the separation of state and church. The focus on
          "physical force" is a central theme in Objectivism. Objectivists hold
          that any kind of intellectual force, particularly lying, concealing truths,
          and misleading people, are legitimate (even necessary) tools of pure
          capitalism. Because lying is at the heart of Objectivist concepts of "Voluntary"
          business transactions, it is only force that they find objectionable. It
          the real world, governments exist to protect people from snakeoil
          salesmen, Bernie Madoff wannabees and ponzi scheme promoters as well as from
          foreign invaders.