Re: Midge Modifications

  • LarenCorie
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9, 2005
      "wootres4" <chriswootres@...> wrote;
      To: <WoodGas@yahoogroups.com>

      > It's definatly something I'll give serious thought to.
      > Thanks.
      >
      > My first impression is that a cone may increase
      > the BTU output near the end of the burn.

      I agree. This is some of that fresh different
      angle thinking, that I hoped would come
      forward, when I started this group. This
      is definitely an idea worth giving a try.

      -Laren Corie-
      Integral Solar Building Design Since 1975

      - LittleHouses-
      Everything To Do With Little Houses
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LittleHouses
    • LarenCorie
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2005
        : "wootres4" <chriswootres@...> wrote;

        >how does anyone
        > suggest tying the funnel together?

        Hi Chris It seems that when you cut the
        hardware cloth, that it will leave little bits
        of wire sticking out, which can bend into
        hooks, to wrap around the wire on the
        other side of the connection.

        -Laren-
      • wootres4
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2005
          It's definatly something I'll give serious thought to. Thanks.

          My first impression is that a cone may increase the BTU output near
          the end of the burn.

          CHRIS

          --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "Jkirk3279" <Jkirk3279@b...> wrote:

          > Hi.
          >
          > I haven't built a MIDGE yet, but I have a suggestion. Your
          latest mod is adding a 1/4 inch
          > mesh of hardware cloth to the bottom for fuel support?
          >

          > Have you thought of using a funnel of hardware cloth in the bottom?
          >
          > I recently made a sifter for cleaning corn to put in my corn stove
          and it was simple
          > enough. I used a funnel of hardware cloth in the bottom of a
          plastic bucket with some
          > holes drilled in it.
          >
          > A couple of twists and the corn spins back and forth while the
          dust sifts out through the
          > holes in the bottom of the bucket.
          >
          > While your stove won't be spinning (hopefully), a cone has some
          advantage for your needs,
          > as it has more surface area/fuel ratio than a flat circle does to
          draw air through.

          > More of the fuel will be exposed to air with a cone-shaped mesh
          than a flat circle mesh.

          > I keep thinking that it's like the old designs for solid fuel
          rocket nozzles. You could make
          > one from a firecracker just by unrolling it and re-packing the
          powder with a cone-shaped
          > nozzle.
        • wootres4
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 10, 2005
            > I agree. This is some of that fresh different
            > angle thinking, that I hoped would come
            > forward, when I started this group. This
            > is definitely an idea worth giving a try.
            >
            > -Laren Corie-

            I'll be working on it soonest. Qestion though, how does anyone
            suggest tying the funnel together? There is very little I have
            around the house that could take the kind of heat produced at the
            pyrolisis zone.

            CHRIS
          • William Kelly MacInnis
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 10, 2005
              You could sew it together with some light (#26) gage motor winding wire. You
              could also make interlocking folds and crimp it with a press using a couple
              of steal plates as a die;-}

              > I agree. This is some of that fresh different
              > angle thinking, that I hoped would come
              > forward, when I started this group. This
              > is definitely an idea worth giving a try.
              >
              > -Laren Corie-

              I'll be working on it soonest. Qestion though, how does anyone
              suggest tying the funnel together? There is very little I have
              around the house that could take the kind of heat produced at the
              pyrolisis zone.

              CHRIS

              Yahoo! Groups Links