Fire Pistons

  • LarenCorie
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
    • arthurcnoll
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2005
        ---
        Yes, I've found this idea fascinating, too. Have tried to make one
        and failed. Found I was driving air through an inch of hard maple.
        In frustration that it didn't work and wondering why, I put some
        soapy water on the end of the maple wood cylinder and could see it
        bubble. Tried to seal the pores with with wax, but that didn't work
        and I gave up for the moment. Later found that maple is not
        considered a good wood to use for just this reason, too porous. My
        piston may have been absorbing air, too. I intend to try again with
        better materials sometime.
        People say that driving the piston hard and fast is important,
        makes sense. I have wondered about putting one in a strong bow,
        (archery bow) should drive the piston faster than you can by hand and
        possibly compensate for materials and seals that are less than
        perfect.
        Lighting a wood gas stove with a fire piston would be a neat thing
        to do...
        Arthur
        In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "LarenCorie" <larencorie@a...> wrote:
        > Not WoodGas, but interesting, and pyrotechnic
        >
        > http://www.firepistons.com/index.html
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/System/5102/
        >
        > http://www.onagocag.com/piston.html
        >
        > http://wmuma.com/tracker/skills/fire/firepiston/index.html
        >
        > http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/acatalog/Fire_Lighting.html
      • P. Bartlett
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2005
          No need to use a bow. just give the thing a good rap with the palm of your hand and voila
          Yes, I've found this idea fascinating, too. Have tried to make one
          and failed. Found I was driving air through an inch of hard maple.
          In frustration that it didn't work and wondering why, I put some
          soapy water on the end of the maple wood cylinder and could see it
          bubble. Tried to seal the pores with with wax, but that didn't work
          and I gave up for the moment. Later found that maple is not
          considered a good wood to use for just this reason, too porous. My
          piston may have been absorbing air, too. I intend to try again with
          better materials sometime.
          People say that driving the piston hard and fast is important,
          makes sense. I have wondered about putting one in a strong bow,
          (archery bow) should drive the piston faster than you can by hand and
          possibly compensate for materials and seals that are less than
          perfect.
          Lighting a wood gas stove with a fire piston would be a neat thing
          to do...
          Arthur
          In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "LarenCorie" <larencorie@a...> wrote:
          > Not WoodGas, but interesting, and pyrotechnic
          >
          > http://www.firepistons.com/index.html
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/System/5102/
          >
          > http://www.onagocag.com/piston.html
          >
          > http://wmuma.com/tracker/skills/fire/firepiston/index.html
          >
          > http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/acatalog/Fire_Lighting.html

        • Louie Pelletier
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2005
            i bet you that mister Deisel probably heard about theses
            fire pistonns and thats where he got the idea for the deisel engine.
            of course ther was no deisel fuel so the first engine ran on peanut
            oil.
            Louis
          • Andre' Blanchard
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 7, 2005
              His first engine used coal dust.

              __________

              Andre' B.

              --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "Louie Pelletier" <jbunny@g...> wrote:

              > i bet you that mister Deisel probably heard about theses

              > fire pistonns and thats where he got the idea for the deisel engine.

              > of course ther was no deisel fuel so the first engine ran on peanut

              > oil.

              > Louis
            • Hakan Falk
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 7, 2005
                His job was to make an engine for coal dust, but he never succeeded in
                making one. As a result he developed an engine, but it could only run on
                vegetable oil and it first demonstrations was with peanut oil.

                Hakan