Re: MrTeslonian

  • dave_mucha
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 24, 2013
      It is simple. a firebox with dozens of 1/2 inch holes on the top, dozens on the bottom and an after burner on the stack.

      nothing special, he gasifies wood by injecting air at different points of the burn.

      the video is an hour and 14 minutes. yikes!
      after 10 you see the firebox with the holes.

      and no, it is not possible to create gasoline by burning wood alone.

      Dave

      --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "Mike LaRosa" <ook187@...> wrote:

      > Can't watch youtube videos here right now so don't have a clue .. Mike

    • sabbadess
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 24, 2013
        Dave,

        Victoria runs a 13hp engine with four .269 holes. Any more than that and the blast rate falls apart and she turns into a combustor.  What do you run with dozens of 1/2" holes?  A locomotive?

        Stephen
        It is simple. a firebox with dozens of 1/2 inch holes on the top, dozens on the bottom and an after burner on the stack.

        nothing special, he gasifies wood by injecting air at different points of the burn.

        the video is an hour and 14 minutes. yikes!
        after 10 you see the firebox with the holes.

        and no, it is not possible to create gasoline by burning wood alone.

        Dave

        --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "Mike LaRosa" <ook187@...> wrote:

        > Can't watch youtube videos here right now so don't have a clue .. Mike

      • Bruce
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 25, 2013
          Hey,
          I have been skipping ahead on this video...the guy is running a retort and collecting tar.
          So in reality he is making some sort of liquid fuel from wood, and wood fire.
          If you listen to the guy's spiel, he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about, but....what he is doing is heating up some sort of very dry wood (creosote bush?, dunno, he is in the desert) and condensing the distillate.
          yep he is in Arizona. Distilling Creosote bush and juniper.

          I am afraid I couldn't watch all of it...its hogging toooo much data.

          The upshot is he is making some fuel by distilling the wood to tar, then cracking the tar, by heating it. Its doable.

          BUT....tar is tar, and if there is carryover into the engine, well Tom C has seen what that does, and Mike carrys extra push rods too.
          Overall if you want to learn something from what the guy is doing, shut off the sound, so you can't be misled by all the prattle.
          His rig is demonstrating how they originally cracked crude oil into gasoline, using coal.
          It wood also work with tires, and plastic, or all three at once.
          BPJ

          --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, sabbadess@... wrote:

          > Dave,
          >
          > Victoria runs a 13hp engine with four .269 holes. Any more than that and the blast rate falls apart and she turns into a combustor. What do you run with dozens of 1/2" holes? A locomotive?
          >
          > Stephen

        • chuck potts
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 25, 2013
            I saw part of this guys video a few weeks ago but couldn't make sense of it.  I have a book that is written by some Dr. and he says you need a catalyst to make liquid gas out of singas I haven't had the time to really pour over it yet, so I don't know the particulars but I know it takes a lot more then this guy is doing.
                                                 Chuck

            To: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
            From: bpjackso@...
            Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:29:41 +0000

            Hey,
            I have been skipping ahead on this video...the guy is running a retort and collecting tar.
            So in reality he is making some sort of liquid fuel from wood, and wood fire.
            If you listen to the guy's spiel, he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about, but....what he is doing is heating up some sort of very dry wood (creosote bush?, dunno, he is in the desert) and condensing the distillate.
            yep he is in Arizona. Distilling Creosote bush and juniper.

            I am afraid I couldn't watch all of it...its hogging toooo much data.

            The upshot is he is making some fuel by distilling the wood to tar, then cracking the tar, by heating it. Its doable.

            BUT....tar is tar, and if there is carryover into the engine, well Tom C has seen what that does, and Mike carrys extra push rods too.
            Overall if you want to learn something from what the guy is doing, shut off the sound, so you can't be misled by all the prattle.
            His rig is demonstrating how they originally cracked crude oil into gasoline, using coal.
            It wood also work with tires, and plastic, or all three at once.
            BPJ

            --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, sabbadess@... wrote:

            > Dave,
            >
            > Victoria runs a 13hp engine with four .269 holes. Any more than that and the blast rate falls apart and she turns into a combustor. What do you run with dozens of 1/2" holes? A locomotive?
            >
            > Stephen

          • A. Olson
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 25, 2013

              My understanding is you can use destructive distillation to make methanol.

              Not really sure what this guy is doing, but any question i have ever asked went un answered and removed.

              To: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
              From: bpjackso@...
              Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:29:41 +0000

              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 25, 2013
                Has he ever run an engine on this process?  That would be the proof.

                To: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                From: tritowns@...
                Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:06:20 -0700

                To: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                From: bpjackso@...
                Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:29:41 +0000

                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 25, 2013
                  Dear Chuck,
                  Be careful asking to run an engine on distilled tar. There are problems. Lindsey Books, used to sell a phamplet about a guy's experience running a five hp Briggs on the distillate from a retort (which is what this guy is doing), every time he wanted to use the engine again, he had to take the head off and free the tarred up valves.
                  The system he uses is totally different from making producer gas. He is not making "syngas". He is destructively distilling creosote bush and juniper. He is not pyrolizing and reducing the wood and using that gas to make a liquid.
                  He uses a lot of technical jargon, but its not actually describing what he is doing. 92000 people wanted to see it though.
                  One reason his idea works so well is that he is in the desert and the fuel has an extremely low moisture content. His rig would never work here on the island.
                  I know I am carrying on, debunking things, but I do like the idea behind what he is doing. Destructively, distilling, and pyrolizing wood, plastic and rubber, then condenscing the distillate, and perhaps cracking it, is a facinating process, I'd like to try this summer.
                  BPJ

                  --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, chuck potts <chuckpallen@...> wrote:

                  > Has he ever run an engine on this process? That would be the proof.
                  >

                  > To: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: tritowns@...
                  > Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:06:20 -0700
                  > Subject: RE: [WoodGas] Re: MrTeslonian
                  >

                  > My understanding is you can use destructive distillation to make methanol.
                  >
                  > Not really sure what this guy is doing, but any question i have ever asked went un answered and removed.

                • kerry keel
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 25, 2013
                    Cracking the condensed distillates of wood and plastics and other sources named, would the process used for oil work? From what I know of it, the oil is heated to about 600 degrees F, devoid of air, and pumped at high pressure into the bottom of a distillation tower, where it is sprayed against broken brick. This is the basics of oil cracking.

                    This Message is from Mr. Kerry Keel. It has been checked by AVG, and is Virus free.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 25, 2013
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q5fQHzZaZY
                      Here is another retort, distilling tires. You tube is full of these videos...
                      BPJ

                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 25, 2013
                        Hay Bruce not my engine, his. lol Mine only gets very clean Wood gas, last filter is a foam filter.  Chuck

                        To: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                        From: bpjackso@...
                        Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 17:15:26 +0000

                        Dear Chuck,
                        Be careful asking to run an engine on distilled tar. There are problems. Lindsey Books, used to sell a phamplet about a guy's experience running a five hp Briggs on the distillate from a retort (which is what this guy is doing), every time he wanted to use the engine again, he had to take the head off and free the tarred up valves.
                        The system he uses is totally different from making producer gas. He is not making "syngas". He is destructively distilling creosote bush and juniper. He is not pyrolizing and reducing the wood and using that gas to make a liquid.
                        He uses a lot of technical jargon, but its not actually describing what he is doing. 92000 people wanted to see it though.
                        One reason his idea works so well is that he is in the desert and the fuel has an extremely low moisture content. His rig would never work here on the island.
                        I know I am carrying on, debunking things, but I do like the idea behind what he is doing. Destructively, distilling, and pyrolizing wood, plastic and rubber, then condenscing the distillate, and perhaps cracking it, is a facinating process, I'd like to try this summer.
                        BPJ

                        --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, chuck potts <chuckpallen@...> wrote:

                        > Has he ever run an engine on this process? That would be the proof.
                        >

                        > To: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: tritowns@...
                        > Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:06:20 -0700
                        > Subject: RE: [WoodGas] Re: MrTeslonian
                        >

                        > My understanding is you can use destructive distillation to make methanol.
                        >
                        > Not really sure what this guy is doing, but any question i have ever asked went un answered and removed.

                      • madflower69
                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 25, 2013
                          --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <bpjackso@...> wrote:

                          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q5fQHzZaZY
                          > Here is another retort, distilling tires. You tube is full of these videos...

                          I believe you need a permit from the EPA to do it. I think the manufacture of distillates is regulated. There was too much groundwater leaching from the spilled oil and people were using plastics with chlorine in it which creates dioxins which are -very very- nasty. I think they also changed the engines so they won't work, well with the distillates. A large part of that was emissions, and efficiency. In otherwords, we are going to make gas more efficient with fewer emissions rather then deal with the cost of superfund style cleanups.

                          I think the ban started in 68 with the advent of the EPA. I think it came with a 10 year grace period that ended around '78.

                          Most of the videos are from other countries. It isn't impossible, just cost prohibitive. Most people don't want the feds on their property. :)

                          Wood gas actually skips the oil storage problem. Just using it directly more energy efficient, then trying to boil the oil out of the wood.
                        • Terry Houston
                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 26, 2013
                            Hello Stephan,
                            I find him to be a fascinating individual because he's into so many things and he actually builds them to see what's what. It's not necessarily what he's doing per se, but with the knowledge that we have in woodgas, to me, it gets my brain working. I can't help it, I really like creative people. While watching him try to start his truck I found my self wanting to yell out, ADVANCE YOUR TIMING,ADVANCE YOUR TIMING! Hahahaha!
                            TJ

                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 26, 2013
                              --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, Terry Houston <enoch4444@...> wrote:

                              > Hello Stephan,
                              > I find him to be a fascinating individual because he's into so many things and he actually builds them to see what's what. It's not necessarily what he's doing per se, but with the knowledge that we have in woodgas, to me, it gets my brain working. I can't help it, I really like creative people. While watching him try to start his truck I found my self wanting to yell out, ADVANCE YOUR TIMING,ADVANCE YOUR TIMING! Hahahaha!

                              LOL you need to be on video yelling that waving a wrench in your hand.

                              I actually find him pretty neat too. He doesn't always get it quite accurate, but close enough especially for people with not much background knowledge. He usually has a good demo. Which may or may not really work, but the process itself that he is trying to demonstrate usually works.
                            • madflower69
                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 27, 2013
                                --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, chuck potts <chuckpallen@...> wrote:

                                > I saw part of this guys video a few weeks ago but couldn't make sense of it. I have a book that is written by some Dr. and he says you need a catalyst to make liquid gas out of singas I haven't had the time to really pour over it yet, so I don't know the particulars but I know it takes a lot more then this guy is doing.

                                He mentioned a number of catalysts. He was trying to crack the tar/oil and then do the Fisher-tropsch reaction/process to get the gasoline. I think it actually -could- work like that since at the minimum, you need 150C and 1 atmosphere of pressure, but the yields will be really low.
                              • Kevin
                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 27, 2013
                                  Dear Chuck

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Mar 27, 2013
                                    ' If he did capture it, it would have too much tar, too much soot, too much ash'
                                    # majority of which can be captured in a cyclone. My real concern is wastage of fuel and the risk of explosion.
                                    I only watched for about 5 minutes before my connection got caught off.

                                    Clem
                                    From: "Kevin" <kchisholm@...>
                                    Sender: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:26:18 -0300
                                    To: <WoodGas@yahoogroups.com>
                                    ReplyTo: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com

                                    Dear Chuck

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 27, 2013
                                      Keven & Clem;
                                            Sort of off topic but maybe not; have you heard of an idea of compressing wood gas in a tank with some propane to liquefy it to use as a fuel for a car.  Just saw something on it but no results were given sounds very dangerous to me.
                                                  Chuck

                                      To: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com

                                      From: "Kevin" <kchisholm@...>
                                      Sender: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                                      Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:26:18 -0300
                                      To: <WoodGas@yahoogroups.com>
                                      ReplyTo: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com

                                      Dear Chuck

                                      > I saw part of this guys video a few weeks ago but couldn't make sense of it. I have a book that is written by some Dr. and he says you need a catalyst to make liquid gas out of singas I haven't had the time to really pour over it yet, so I don't know the particulars but I know it takes a lot more then this guy is doing.

                                      He mentioned a number of catalysts. He was trying to crack the tar/oil and then do the Fisher-tropsch reaction/process to get the gasoline. I think it actually -could- work like that since at the minimum, you need 150C and 1 atmosphere of pressure, but the yields will be really low.
                                      Just what can we see when we look at the "Mr. Theslonian Vid"?
                                      1: We see a very enthusiastic person who is an excent communicator making some interesting claims.
                                      2: He claims to have a stove, but what he displays it as a fire place that vents flame. He does not show it working in a "stove mode."
                                      3: He claims to be producing "syngas" but what he is producing is not "syngas." If he did capture it, it would have too much tar, too much soot, too much ash and too much nitrogen to serve as a feedstock for making anything.
                                      What do you think the system he shows is actually good for? What does it do well? What can you conclude from the "evidence" he presents?
                                      Best wishes,
                                      Kevin

                                    • workinman_43
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Mar 27, 2013
                                        This guy has allot of videos and this one he runs you thourgh a Chevy Luv Gasifier Build which I found very informative and easy to follow.

                                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=X3KipK49v7g

                                        --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, chuck potts <chuckpallen@...> wrote:

                                        > Keven & Clem;
                                        > Sort of off topic but maybe not; have you heard of an idea of compressing wood gas in a tank with some propane to liquefy it to use as a fuel for a car. Just saw something on it but no results were given sounds very dangerous to me.
                                        > Chuck
                                        >

                                        > To: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                                        > From: revicaig@...
                                        > Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 15:03:47 +0000
                                        > Subject: Re: [WoodGas] Re: MrTeslonian
                                        >

                                        > ' If he did capture it, it would have too much tar, too much soot, too much ash'
                                        > # majority of which can be captured in a cyclone. My real concern is wastage of fuel and the risk of explosion.
                                        > I only watched for about 5 minutes before my connection got caught off.
                                        >
                                        > Clem
                                        >

                                        > From: "Kevin" <kchisholm@...>
                                        > Sender: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                                        > Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:26:18 -0300
                                        > To: <WoodGas@yahoogroups.com>
                                        > ReplyTo: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                                        > Subject: Re: [WoodGas] Re: MrTeslonian
                                        >

                                        > Dear Chuck

                                      • Kevin
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Mar 27, 2013
                                          Dear Chuck
                                                Sort of off topic but maybe not; have you heard of an idea of compressing wood gas in a tank with some propane to liquefy it to use as a fuel for a car.  Just saw something on it but no results were given sounds very dangerous to me.
                                                      Chuck
                                          # Recent discussions covered the significant disadvantages of compressing woodgas alone. propane characteristics are such that it can be readily compressed and easily liquified at normal ambient temperatures and at reasonable pressures.

                                          # For the mixture of 'woodgas + Propane" to be liquified, the propane would have to react with the woodgas, in a way to produce different compounds that were easily liquified at normal ambient temperatures and reasonable pressures. In general, I would not consider compressing such a mixture, until I fully understood the reactions that would take place.

                                          Best wishes,

                                          Kevin

                                          To: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com

                                          From: "Kevin" <kchisholm@...>
                                          Sender: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                                          Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:26:18 -0300
                                          To: <WoodGas@yahoogroups.com>

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Mar 27, 2013
                                            Dear Chuck,
                                            The question of whether this idea is doable, or if its another "free energy" scheme, can be answered by looking at a table of soluablity for liquid propane and CO. There just isn't any way to compress CO and make it a liquid, BUT, like Acetelyene and Acetone(sp) it might be possible to dissolve CO into Propane. If you can't find a soluability table then google the two molecules and look at their relative sizes. If CO is smaller then Propane, a certain quantity will fit in between the Propane molecules.
                                            Another interesting question is whether CO will react with propane, and whether its an exothermic reaction. CO is not a complete molecule, it still wants a couple of electrons, and the easiest ones to pick off are the ones hydrogen has. Its a very interesting question.
                                            BPJ
                                            --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, chuck potts <chuckpallen@...> wrote:

                                            > Keven & Clem;
                                            > Sort of off topic but maybe not; have you heard of an idea of compressing wood gas in a tank with some propane to liquefy it to use as a fuel for a car. Just saw something on it but no results were given sounds very dangerous to me.
                                            > Chuck
                                            >

                                            > To: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                                            > From: revicaig@...
                                            > Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 15:03:47 +0000
                                            > Subject: Re: [WoodGas] Re: MrTeslonian
                                            >

                                            > ' If he did capture it, it would have too much tar, too much soot, too much ash'
                                            > # majority of which can be captured in a cyclone. My real concern is wastage of fuel and the risk of explosion.
                                            > I only watched for about 5 minutes before my connection got caught off.
                                            >
                                            > Clem
                                            >

                                            > From: "Kevin" <kchisholm@...>
                                            > Sender: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                                            > Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:26:18 -0300
                                            > To: <WoodGas@yahoogroups.com>
                                            > ReplyTo: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                                            > Subject: Re: [WoodGas] Re: MrTeslonian
                                            >

                                            > Dear Chuck

                                          • chuck potts
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Mar 27, 2013
                                              I was just thinking out loud and was looking for another way to use my home gasser to power my truck as well without building another one to go in the back and having to pull over and refuel all the time. May be another pipe dream. If it is to good to be true....
                                                                Chuck

                                              To: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: bpjackso@...
                                              Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 16:31:00 +0000

                                              Dear Chuck,
                                              The question of whether this idea is doable, or if its another "free energy" scheme, can be answered by looking at a table of soluablity for liquid propane and CO. There just isn't any way to compress CO and make it a liquid, BUT, like Acetelyene and Acetone(sp) it might be possible to dissolve CO into Propane. If you can't find a soluability table then google the two molecules and look at their relative sizes. If CO is smaller then Propane, a certain quantity will fit in between the Propane molecules.
                                              Another interesting question is whether CO will react with propane, and whether its an exothermic reaction. CO is not a complete molecule, it still wants a couple of electrons, and the easiest ones to pick off are the ones hydrogen has. Its a very interesting question.
                                              BPJ
                                              --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, chuck potts <chuckpallen@...> wrote:

                                              > Keven & Clem;
                                              > Sort of off topic but maybe not; have you heard of an idea of compressing wood gas in a tank with some propane to liquefy it to use as a fuel for a car. Just saw something on it but no results were given sounds very dangerous to me.
                                              > Chuck
                                              >

                                              > To: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                                              > From: revicaig@...
                                              > Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 15:03:47 +0000
                                              > Subject: Re: [WoodGas] Re: MrTeslonian
                                              >

                                              > ' If he did capture it, it would have too much tar, too much soot, too much ash'
                                              > # majority of which can be captured in a cyclone. My real concern is wastage of fuel and the risk of explosion.
                                              > I only watched for about 5 minutes before my connection got caught off.
                                              >
                                              > Clem
                                              >

                                              > From: "Kevin" <kchisholm@...>
                                              > Sender: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                                              > Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:26:18 -0300
                                              > To: <WoodGas@yahoogroups.com>
                                              > ReplyTo: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
                                              > Subject: Re: [WoodGas] Re: MrTeslonian
                                              >

                                              > Dear Chuck

                                            • dave_mucha
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Mar 27, 2013
                                                liquify the wood gas, pour off the liquid and vent the co to reduce total volume ??

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Mar 28, 2013
                                                  Dear Dave,
                                                  Thanks for the opportunity to allow me to work on my people skills.
                                                  I would like you to consider your statement comparing it to what we know about woodgas. The origin of "Woodgas" in the sense that this group is using, comes from a gas producer, or gasifier. I'm sure you remember that woodgas is actually a product of first combustion and then reduction. The result of that reduction are two gases of any consequence for use as fuel, namely Hydrogen and Carbon Monoxide. Neither of these gases can be liquified practically using our duct-tape engineering.

                                                  Now, correct me here, but I think what you want to liquify are the distillates (products of destructive distillation) from a retort. This process uses neither combustion (flames) nor reduction (carbon stripping oxygens off of everything they encounter), but rather it uses heat in the abscence of oxygen, to break the carbon-carbon bonds, making short chain lighter molecules from longer chain more complex molecules.
                                                  Just to clarify any confusement about destructive distillation, compared to what Stephen is doing with his alcohol...the only similarity is the idea of condensing the gases as they come out. What goes on in the pot is completely different for the two processes.
                                                  BPJ

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Mar 29, 2013
                                                    --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <bpjackso@...> wrote:

                                                    <snip>
                                                    > Now, correct me here, but I think what you want to liquify are the distillates (products of destructive distillation) from a retort. This process uses neither combustion (flames) nor reduction (carbon stripping oxygens off of everything they encounter), but rather it uses heat in the abscence of oxygen, to break the carbon-carbon bonds, making short chain lighter molecules from longer chain more complex molecules.
                                                    <snip>

                                                    Thank you! I was trying to remember how they banned production. The Feds were calling destructive distillation, a 'still' which was illegal to even have in possession at the time.(they later also went on a rampage having multimillion dollar "drug" busts claiming old hemp fields, were really marijuana fields.) What goes in the pot is completely different. However there is some methanol, and maybe a little bit of ethanol that comes out.

                                                    I was thinking it was the EPA, but it was really the ATF.

                                                    The laws have changed quite a bit since the 70s. (You weren't actually allowed to have a still in possession, and now you can.) Does anyone know if you are required to have a distillers license for this? Or is it enough to just not have mash in the pot now?