Re: chipper knife

  • Bruce
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2013
      Hi Ron, Andy, John,
      Youse are forcing me out into the cold to get the camera from the UP camp. I gotta take a picture of this thing. Its got slots and I was told that they clamp the heck out of it. I don't think it would come out right if I tried changing its shape.
      Good point about the onions. You know this knife is like a cheap pencil sharpener that you twirl the pencil in, same shape blade.
      I suppose the most sucessful and most likely to get built type of chunker would be to build a shear like a paper cutter. Thats about my speed technically. It definitely would work in this weather. Then I could slice up tires too.

      Andy I was looking at your photos...did that "bridge free" hopper work out to be bridge free? I ask because I have the same thing and its not bridge free. Is that barrel thing on the ranger, a settling barrel? Gosh all your stuff looks like all my stuff. Is this convergent evolution, like the Tazmanian Tiger and the wolf?
      I bet that producer works great in the cold weather like this!
      Anyhow, I gotta get out there and move some frozen water.
      BPJ

      --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, ron ohler wrote:

      > Hi Bruce,
      > I presume there are mounting holes in it. What is the spacing? I might have a drum from a chipper that it fits.
      > Best,
      > RonO

    • Mike LaRosa
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2013
        Hi Bruce, Looks like you finally have a computer on the home front. Are you plugging into a cell phone ?? I would think you could do that at your place on top of the hill. I can not do it here in the valley. It is still 8 below zero here and windy at 10 AM .. I plan to shower at lunch time to use up a tank of PV hot water. I have around 650 watts of PV going to a 6 gallon tank ahead of the regular tank. It will do 3 tanks a day if we use it. Requires modifications on the thermostats for the DC.
        Wayne's chunker has a tapered blade cut out of the drum and fixed anvil to work against that really does the job. I wonder if he has had to make any changes or repairs to it since I saw it in 2010. I will ask him next time we talk. We usually talk once a week or so. I chunked up a few sacks just for grins when I was there last time. I can't think that big but I know you can.
        Regards to Ben and Charlie .. I'm looking forward to seeing you all again ... Maybe trek south of the bridge and catch the gang in Argos Indiana in May ?? They are all old enough to remember now and if they see a dozen other wood things, they will realize you are not off your rocker .... or alone in this ...
        Mike

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2013
          Hi Mike,
          You've surmized correctly. I just signed up for a two year contract with Verizon and bought a Jetpack 4G system. $106 out the door. Mail in rebate for $50 and it'll be $80 or so a month. I am cancelling the ATT phone.
          Verizon let us borrow the Jetpack for a night. I was able to track down several generator manuals and a head gasket kit for the C335 IH engine. That sold me. I have been struggling for the last 18 months trying to get things locally. Trouble is, all the fellows who knew anything about the stuff I have are all dead or drooling in wheel chairs.
          As far as travel goes...well I won't rule it out but...perhaps I am getting less adventurious. Or maybe just scared about how decrepit my road vehicles are. The truck we use today has no inner fender wells, the battery is strapped to a plank, wedged against the head light basket and the heater fan. The thing works good for going to town because there isn't any salt from here to town. After that I would be scared that the salt would simply destroy the FI wiring.
          I do have a lovely summer suburban I can use but it won't be ready by may. I have to change the engine and trans mission. They actually cracked the bell housing around the whole thing, starting it with ether. South Dakota body, no rust though.
          I bet it would be minus 8 here except the lake is busily dumping snow on us really really steadily. Ben reports its 6F and going about a half inch an hour with squalls of an inch an hour.
          I have been using the blower truck. Yesterday I apparently ruined the auger sprocket as the chain won't go over it anymore. So now I am going to have to use the hand blower. Would you beleive the snow is already a$$ deep on the land and it just started snowing last week.
          anyhow,
          BPJ

          --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "Mike LaRosa" wrote:

          > Hi Bruce, Looks like you finally have a computer on the home front. Are you plugging into a cell phone ?? I would think you could do that at your place on top of the hill. I can not do it here in the valley. It is still 8 below zero here and windy at 10 AM .. I plan to shower at lunch time to use up a tank of PV hot water. I have around 650 watts of PV going to a 6 gallon tank ahead of the regular tank. It will do 3 tanks a day if we use it. Requires modifications on the thermostats for the DC.
          > Wayne's chunker has a tapered blade cut out of the drum and fixed anvil to work against that really does the job. I wonder if he has had to make any changes or repairs to it since I saw it in 2010. I will ask him next time we talk. We usually talk once a week or so. I chunked up a few sacks just for grins when I was there last time. I can't think that big but I know you can.
          > Regards to Ben and Charlie .. I'm looking forward to seeing you all again ... Maybe trek south of the bridge and catch the gang in Argos Indiana in May ?? They are all old enough to remember now and if they see a dozen other wood things, they will realize you are not off your rocker .... or alone in this ...
          > Mike
          >

          > --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Ron, Andy, John,
          > > Youse are forcing me out into the cold to get the camera from the UP camp. I gotta take a picture of this thing. Its got slots and I was told that they clamp the heck out of it. I don't think it would come out right if I tried changing its shape.
          > > Good point about the onions. You know this knife is like a cheap pencil sharpener that you twirl the pencil in, same shape blade.
          > > I suppose the most sucessful and most likely to get built type of chunker would be to build a shear like a paper cutter. Thats about my speed technically. It definitely would work in this weather. Then I could slice up tires too.
          > >
          > > Andy I was looking at your photos...did that "bridge free" hopper work out to be bridge free? I ask because I have the same thing and its not bridge free. Is that barrel thing on the ranger, a settling barrel? Gosh all your stuff looks like all my stuff. Is this convergent evolution, like the Tazmanian Tiger and the wolf?
          > > I bet that producer works great in the cold weather like this!
          > > Anyhow, I gotta get out there and move some frozen water.
          > > BPJ
          > >

          > > --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, ron ohler wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Bruce,
          > > > I presume there are mounting holes in it. What is the spacing? I might have a drum from a chipper that it fits.
          > > > Best,
          > > > RonO

        • glrf30
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2013
            Bruce,

            Jaws like a tree-shear? Now you are talking!
            Bridge-less especially if you drive over bumps.

            Big char gets caught in the bottom of the gasifier, smaller lumps get caught in the barrel (not going to be using barrels anymore), cyclone collects dry powder, packed bed filter catches tiny powder.

            Andy

          • reoair
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 9, 2013
              Hi Bruce,
              I finally figured out how to get photos off of my phone. I uploaded some photos of the drum and feed chute from a drum chipper that I have. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WoodGas/photos/album/1645112812/pic/list
              Best,
              RonO

              --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "glrf30" wrote:

              > Bruce,
              >
              > Jaws like a tree-shear? Now you are talking!
              > Bridge-less especially if you drive over bumps.
              >
              > Big char gets caught in the bottom of the gasifier, smaller lumps get caught in the barrel (not going to be using barrels anymore), cyclone collects dry powder, packed bed filter catches tiny powder.
              >
              > Andy
              >
              > --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Ron, Andy, John,
              > > Youse are forcing me out into the cold to get the camera from the UP camp. I gotta take a picture of this thing. Its got slots and I was told that they clamp the heck out of it. I don't think it would come out right if I tried changing its shape.
              > > Good point about the onions. You know this knife is like a cheap pencil sharpener that you twirl the pencil in, same shape blade.
              > > I suppose the most sucessful and most likely to get built type of chunker would be to build a shear like a paper cutter. Thats about my speed technically. It definitely would work in this weather. Then I could slice up tires too.
              > >
              > > Andy I was looking at your photos...did that "bridge free" hopper work out to be bridge free? I ask because I have the same thing and its not bridge free. Is that barrel thing on the ranger, a settling barrel? Gosh all your stuff looks like all my stuff. Is this convergent evolution, like the Tazmanian Tiger and the wolf?
              > > I bet that producer works great in the cold weather like this!
              > > Anyhow, I gotta get out there and move some frozen water.
              > > BPJ
              > >

              > > --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, ron ohler wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Bruce,
              > > > I presume there are mounting holes in it. What is the spacing? I might have a drum from a chipper that it fits.
              > > > Best,
              > > > RonO

            • sergio loddi
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 9, 2013
                Serius machine Ron
                sergio

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 10, 2013
                  Ron,
                  Looks like some nice potential equipment there. Thats funny, I am reduced to using an old cell phone for a camera too. Gotta charge it every time you take a picture.
                  BPJ