Re: New to the group and I have a few questions

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
      Sorry for the lack of clarity in my questions/answers, I'm not the best at putting my thoughts on paper. When I said pallets I didn't mean whole pallets. What I meant was more along the lines of stuff you could find laying around and process into smaller chunks/pieces with a hand saw. I didn't want to depend on having to process each piece of wood into small wood chips, I was hoping for something that could handle wood in various sizes (say 2-5 inch chunks?). This maybe a silly questions but what happens if you build one that done produce an excess of tar and other contaminates? Does it just plug every thing up more often?, Or does it do internal damage to the engine? or a gas that wont burn? Again I apologize if I'm not clear

      --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "A. Olson" wrote:

      > in a bug out/survival situation... where will you get pallets?
      >
      > you can chip wood with an ax. if it was important to me that's what i'd be doing. and i'm sure you can find a gas power chipper that you could hook a gasifier up to.
      >
      > again, I didn't see an answer as to how  you were going to process the pallets... it would take one big gasifier to use them whole.
      >
      > chips and small chunks are easy to make... and you can design a  gasifier around them that will work well. but you do need to decide what you're going to run,  for how long and how often. until you know that you can't even begin to design something... just my 25 cents... you can take them for what they are.
      >
      > Lots of people here that are very willing to help, just need to know what you really want/need

    • sabbadess
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
        Roy,

        If your fuel is too big you run the risk of weak gas.  If you have too much tar, you run the risk of sticking the intake valves of your engine.

        2-5" chunks are usable in a gasifier but I would stay more toward the 2-3" range.  You can't have nails or debris either.  The nails will furnace weld together. and everything will stop flowing.

        Stephen
        Sorry for the lack of clarity in my questions/answers, I'm not the best at putting my thoughts on paper. When I said pallets I didn't mean whole pallets. What I meant was more along the lines of stuff you could find laying around and process into smaller chunks/pieces with a hand saw. I didn't want to depend on having to process each piece of wood into small wood chips, I was hoping for something that could handle wood in various sizes (say 2-5 inch chunks?). This maybe a silly questions but what happens if you build one that done produce an excess of tar and other contaminates? Does it just plug every thing up more often?, Or does it do internal damage to the engine? or a gas that wont burn? Again I apologize if I'm not clear

        --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "A. Olson" wrote:

        > in a bug out/survival situation... where will you get pallets?
        >
        > you can chip wood with an ax. if it was important to me that's what i'd be doing. and i'm sure you can find a gas power chipper that you could hook a gasifier up to.
        >
        > again, I didn't see an answer as to how  you were going to process the pallets... it would take one big gasifier to use them whole.
        >
        > chips and small chunks are easy to make... and you can design a  gasifier around them that will work well. but you do need to decide what you're going to run,  for how long and how often. until you know that you can't even begin to design something... just my 25 cents... you can take them for what they are.
        >
        > Lots of people here that are very willing to help, just need to know what you really want/need

      • Roy
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
          Is that because you don't reach the right temperatures?

        • sabbadess
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
            Roy,

            I'm not sure of the question....gasifiers need to be built for the specific fuel you are going to run.  The larger the fuel, the larger the nozzle ring diameter you need.  If you go too big, tar can go down the centerline of the machine and out.  If you are way outside the 60 degree flow cone you may clinker in front of the nozzles.
            You also need to flow enough to keep the gasifier stoked up and get the heavy tars to burn.  Some people like to think of it as running hot enough to crack the tars.  Take your pick, it's functionally the same.

            Did I answer the question?

            Stephen
            Is that because you don't reach the right temperatures?

            --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, sabbadess@... wrote:

            > Roy,
            >
            > If your fuel is too big you run the risk of weak gas. If you have too much tar, you run the risk of sticking the intake valves of your engine.
            >
            > 2-5" chunks are usable in a gasifier but I would stay more toward the 2-3" range. You can't have nails or debris either. The nails will furnace weld together. and everything will stop flowing.
            >
            > Stephen

          • Roy
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
              Yes you answered thank you for the help