Re: [WoodGas] Gasifier for a generator, 8HP Kohler

  • A. Olson
    Message 1 of 70 , Nov 1, 2012
      its all good, and i do understand where you're coming from.

      my point is... I get just over 2 hours on the hopper load of softwood chips i'm currently working with. my hopper is under 2 cubic feet.

      its fine to build a gasifier but it makes sense to build around some minimums and a 2 hour run time was one of my personal design criteria

      if i build a char coal gasifier, how big of a hopper will I need to get around the same kind of a run time as char is a lot less dense that the wood it came from.

      From: Kevin <kchisholm@...>
      To: WoodGas@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 9:13 PM

      Dear A

      1 pound of bone dry wood contains about 8,640 BTU; 16 lbs = 138,240 BTU

      Charcoal contains about 13,000 BTU/Lb, so 10.6 pounds of charcoal has about the same energy content as 16 pounds of bone dry wood.

      This is not necessarily the figure you are looking for... charcoal gas will have a somewhat different gas analysis, and somewhat different burning characteristics. However, it is a darn good starting point!! :-)

      For round numbers... 11 pounds Charcoal = 1 US Gallon of gasoline

      Best wishes,

      Kevin

      From: Nick DePaolo <n_depaol o@...>
      To: "WoodGas@yahoogroups.com" <WoodGas@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 5:23 PM

      Hello Ben, thanks for the video of your charcoal gasifier. I see that you are using commercialy produced charcoal. I am a serious novice when it comes to gasification, all of my knowledge is questions Ive asked and things I have read. The individual who turned me on to charcoal gasification has stated that he only uses charcoal he makes, and not to use comercialy produced charcoal. So my question to you is, how many hours of engine run time on comercial charcaol does your unit have. How is the tar build up on comercial charcoal, and if I were to use comercial charcoal is there a species or specific type that you would recomend? Thank you and nice build my freind!

      Message 70 of 70 , Dec 6, 2012
        Re: [WoodGas] Gasifier for a generator, 8HP Kohler We’re in southern WV

        We’d love a chance to showcase your organization using our
        EDRi™ photography. (IT BLOWS THE DOORS OFF REGULAR PHOTOGRAPHY)

        Here is an A:B comparison of our EDRi™ process versus standard photography.
        http://bit.ly/photo-comparison
        Just pass your mouse over the two options under the photo on this page to toggle the view.

        More EDRi shots:
        http://bit.ly/EDRi-photos

        Standard Photography:
        http://bit.ly/standard-photos

        From: Doug Simpson <veewee77@...>
        Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 08:14:34 -0600
        To: <WoodGas@yahoogroups.com>

           We are in De Queen, AR USA.

         And you?

         Doug

         On 12/3/2012 1:01 PM, Timothy Luce wrote:

         Doug, I wish you well.  This has been my motivation as well, as I have an 8 YO with cerebral palsy, depending on a 24hr a day feeding pump, and sometimes an oxygen concentrator.

         Were are you located?

        From: Doug <veewee77@...>
         Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 14:19:51 -0000
         To: <WoodGas@yahoogroups.com>
         Subject: [WoodGas] Gasifier for a generator, 8HP Kohler

         Good day guys!

         I am very interested in wood gasifiers. Made one one time. . .just with crap I had laying around the yard. It got almost to the gas-flame point and due to the fact that I didn't completely know what I was doing at that time, (there was too much air leakage) . . .BOOM!!!. . . and there was gasifier parts scattered all over the yard, as well as hot metal and hotter coals scattered everywhere! It was fun as heqq!

         So. . . after reading many posts from the people on this list, I realize that my construction skills are pretty seriously lacking. . .

         Fast-forward to today. . .

         My son is on dialysis and we do it here at home. Hemodialysis. . . yeah, the kind where the blood goes through the machine. . . 5 days a week. . .

         Needless to say we are pretty dependent on electricity around here. . .

         If the power goes out, and there is no gasoline to a) get to the nearest dialysis center which is over an hour's drive, or b) run a generator to keep his equipment running, we're pretty much dead in the water, and he could be dead altogether. . . He worries about this a lot. He questions what we would do in the event of a catastrophe sufficient enough to knock out the power for days or weeks.

         So, my question is this. . . Is there anyone who would be willing to build or at least help me to build a gasifier suitable enough to run a 3KW 8HP Kohler generator on a fairly constant basis? I could help or do assembly or something. . . I picked up the genset at a yard sale the other day for $80. It runs great. Needs some adjustment in the governor department. It looks to be one from a motorhome or something. The crankcase has a large expanded reservior with cooling fins on it and the cooling fan is set up to suck air through the cooling system and blow it down through the bottom instead of the usual fan-on-the-flywheel thing. I can post a photo of it.

         His treatments run between 3 to 4 hours per day, 5 days a week, so it would be run a LOT if there was no grid power available. The generator would also be used to power required items in the house as well if the power failed.

         Thank for any assistance or help to get this project accomplished! Have a great day!

         Doug