Re: diesel/ wood gas power losses

  • gareth_woolley
    Message 1 of 86 , May 14, 2012
      so what are you saying stuart? is that a thumbs up for the diesel swap? O.K. my v8 needs some serious feeding and regularly. I get something like 8miles to a 60L tub of wood chunks and i can only fit 2.5 tubs in there, from empty. I also thought that the reduction of swept volume would contribute to making the cut wood last further in the gasifier....
      Cheers

      --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Perkins <perkins.stuart@...> wrote:

      > The already high compression of the diesel most likely contributes...as
      > well as the designed lower rpm. Gasoline engines tend to be rated at
      > higher rpm, which is beyond the peak performance of the slower flame
      > front of woodgas.
      >
      > On Mon, 14 May 2012 08:08:44 -0400 (EDT)
      > sabbadess@... wrote:
      >

      > > Gareth,
      > >
      > > I'm with Ron. The APL 6hp Lister is capable of 4474W of shaft work.
      > > Attached to a 65% efficient genhead(typical number) it should make
      > > 2908W of electricity. It made 2750W. That means as far as shaft
      > > work goes, the derating was only about 6%, not the typical 40% for a
      > > spark engine.
      > >
      > > Stephen

    • arvid
      Message 86 of 86 , May 25, 2012
        I hear ya there Mike, the world has gotten truly stupid.

        I drove big trucks for a while... went from only needed my smile and a birth cert to need a fast pass to i think a pass port now...

        As much as i would have loved to have gone to Argos, i dread the thought of crossing the boarder.

        Atleast we can exchange ideas here.... so far....

        Peace

        --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "Mike LaRosa" <ook187@...> wrote:

        > Arvid, I'd have to throw piles and piles of crap out of my truck to cross that border. It used to be where you could bring anything into Canada and would get hassled on the way back into the US. Now I hear it is about the same either way. I don't even smoke weed etc but I do usually have a g_n and many medications that I might need to survive but don't have all the original bottles they came in. Can you imagine me getting arrested for 20 doxycycline tablets in a baggie or a single zanex etc etc etc etc .. I'd have to have 20 bottles with current labels so I might as well forget to wear pants and strap the bottles on .. It just pisses me off to remember a time of freedom and to look at how fast our people accepted the state we are in now .. I just worry a bit about some cocky cop busting my chops about transporting firewood across state lines .. I would have brought less wood to Indiana but there was an element of pending stuff when the eclipse took place so I figured I'd better have enough fuel to get back home. I came home with the same amount of sacks I left home with but got back with three filled with Ron's wood. I kept 2 of them on the back easy to grab spots in case I got stopped so that I could show we had dimensional lumber in them. I'd hate to lose my cherry wood. It is my favorite .. Mike
        >

        > --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "A. Olson" <tritowns@> wrote:
        > >
        > > its all good Mike.
        > >
        > > I agree with you... id try to keep my redline under 3000 on my pickup truck too. 2200 rpm is what i'd design for on my pickup.
        > >
        > > 3600 would be for gen sets...
        > >
        > > if a meet ever happens up here we'll let you know... would be nice to meet you too.

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)