DISCO MODS

  • garret
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
      As you guys know my Discovery 3.9 V8 has been off
      the road for some time.
      I finally have an engine for it now.
      As you suggested the 3.9 L was a little slow and was not
      really suited for Wood Gas.

      This motor has
      Carbon break valves
      10.5 : 1 Compression
      Bored to 95mm and stroked to 96 mm
      that works out about 5.5 L around 335 Cubic Inches now.
      A higher lift cam was installed

      Bottom end has a 1/4 " Chrome Molly plate water cut to
      fit the block to stop it cracking the block as I had to remove some of
      the block to swing the crank from 71 mm stroke to 96 mm stroke

      I left tabs to fold over the mains to stop them rattling loose.

      I have decked the block by 2mm and turned the pistons down by about 8mm
      off the top making them almost flat.

      The motor weighs just under 130 Kgs dry and I expect around 300-400 HP
      but Monster torque.

      It's an all Alloy V8.
      I have started scrounging for a manual to bolt up to it.
      All told I expect to spend around 7.5K on the mods.
      When this is finally on the road ..

      The Multi-Cyclone / Cooler / Pre-heater will be built.

      I turned the engine over by hand today and nothing hit anything.
      Couple more weeks and I'll post some youtube vids of the beast ...
      this is the first v8 I have built.. fingers crossed.

      Garret
    • carson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
        --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, garret <ozykiss@...> wrote

        > The Multi-Cyclone / Cooler / Pre-heater will be built.

        Hey Garret,

        Did you ever complete and post those multi-cyclone drawings ?

        thanks
        carson
      • garret
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009
          No Sorry I have not.
          But I do have a very clear picture of what to draw and how to build it /
          them.

          Time is my enemy at the moment with 3 AM starts .

          Garret