Re: Pellets to Dry?

  • dave_cahoon
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
      Greg,

      Yes its possible! And I (think i) can find out,
      there made 15 miles from here.

      I always thought the lignins under hydraulic
      stress was what was binding the stuff together.

      The stove insert holds many pounds of pellets not
      so with chips and I defiantly get more heat from
      far less mass using chips.

      Even chips can be to dry and not produce as much
      heat. I used a spray bottle on them while still
      on the floor, just before i let them slide into
      the insert. No packing or it will bridge.

      I will dig up a photo of the insert and a diagram
      with a graph of house temp trying various
      configurations to burn wood shredder chips in my
      wood stove..

      If anyone out there knows how to digest them
      (chips/shred) to methane please let me know.

      Dave

      --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Manning" <a31ford@...> wrote:

      > Dave...
      >
      > Is it possible, that the pellets you are using have a clay binder instead of
      > cornstarch ? I find that many commercial pellets have clay binders. (cost I
      > would assume)
      >
      > That small amount of clay will really really upset the burn, and remember,
      > most people would not know the difference simply because they have no access
      > to chips...
      >
      > moisture from the air is generally enough to cause a water/gas shift of
      > enough amount in a wood burn, however, add the clay... and poof, the burn
      > goes too cold.
      >
      > Greg

    • david nichols
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
        hey guys just an idea,,,lol,,if you are considering the pellets are too dry,,just run them for half a load or two,,then shut the gasifier down with some still left,,,

        you will be cleaning the muddy water soaked mess wishin they were still dry!!! lol,,, hahaha,,,youll have all the water you need hahahaha,,,,,

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
          --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "dave_cahoon" <dave_cahoon@...> wrote:

          > If anyone out there knows how to digest them
          > (chips/shred) to methane please let me know.
          >
          > Dave

          dave,
          do you mean digesting them in a anaerobic digester?
          roger
        • dave_cahoon
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2009
            Group,

            To finish the thread;
            I called the mill where I purchase my pellets.
            The pellets I'm using are extruded there is no
            binding agent used, just pressure.

            They leave the mill at 4-7% moisture.

            I offered them a semi load of shred, and first
            thing I was asked "do you think there is any
            bark in there???" There is and I was thanked for
            the offer.

            I know I need more than 7% H2O. Now Must make an
            Imbert type gasser with a nozzle ring for
            no-pressure steam injection.

            X drips over Y time into a hot place.

            A solenoid valve or a big fuel injector
            for the water drip control.

            I can run the thin water line through one of the
            coolent lines from in the house to keep it liquid
            during the freezing season.

            Dave