Re: [WoodGas] Re: OT - UK Weather

  • Ken Boak
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
      John, List,

      Today's weather just goes to show how fragile our infrastructure is, and how
      unprepared we are for anything out of the ordinary. Suburban Europeans are
      over reliant on transport systems, communications and utilities functioning
      normally.

      Our international airports have been closed because the runways were not
      snow-ploughed or gritted yesterday. However, most of the breakdown in
      public transport, has been because drivers and othere essential workers have
      not been able, or willing to travel into work.

      With most schools closed, most parents will have been faced with child care
      logistic problems - reinforcing the desire of most of the working population
      to stay at home.

      I went out at 9:30 to clear the 6" layer of snow from my van. I'm going to
      need it tomorrow and don't want to have it freeze overnight. Our street is
      not ploughed or gritted/salted, and even the main highway is treacherous.
      As this kind of weather is so atypical and infrequent, most folks have no
      experience of driving in snow, nor do we have the need for snow-tyres. The
      roads just turn to chaos.

      I have tried to break free from this cycle of vunerability. I have a back
      up generator in my shed capable of heating and powering the house, and my
      gasifier experiments will allow greater flexability and freedom from fossil
      fuels. I have a woodstove with back-boiler in the living room which is
      capable of heating most of the house.

      The snow has stopped for now, but weathermen are predicting more later
      today.

      Ken
    • r-m-ohler@triton.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
        HI Ken,
        :-) 4 inches ehh.... Believe it or not - here in Michigan that much snow
        "might" result in some school closings. We've had winter totals so far of
        98" here in the central part of the lower peninsula. Over on the shores of
        Lake Michigan they have snow fall totals for this winter of around 120" so
        far. We have at least another month to go. 1-2" of snow expected for today
        and 2-3" for tomorrow. It was warm yesterday. It got to 38degF.
        Temperatures are around 20degF now and an expected high of 16degF tomorrow
        and colder (low of 3degF)Wedneday. Takes a lot of wood to keep the house
        warm at this rate. I cut down an dead elm a bit over a week ago on
        Saturday. It had been dead just long enough for the bark to peel off. 3ft
        above the ground it measured an average of 14.5" in diameter. I cut up
        every piece including the smallest branches. Hauled it home and put it in
        the basement with a 20" fan blow drying it. With the heat from the stove
        warming the air the wood starts dry cracking in about 12 hours. The bigger
        pieces were stacked against and in front of the stove to dry faster.
        Started burning the smaller stuff first along with some dry stuff that
        been in the basement for a few weeks. Actually scorched some of the large
        blocks in front of the stove. Within 4 days the large wood was so dry that
        the cracks no longer got larger or more plentiful. Many cracks are large
        enough to pass a pencil body into. I've had to split off the sides of
        about 5 pieces to get them to fit through the 14x15" door opening. We also
        burned a stack of smaller 3'-5"stuff that was about 4ft wide 2ft deep and
        2.5ft high. It will be all gone by tomorrow morning. I try to keep the
        house temperature in the living room 62-65degF. Other rooms are cooler.
        Kind of sad that a tree that takes decades to grow is consumed so rapidly
        providing heat for ones home.
        Ron Ohler

        > List,
        >
        > The UK is currently experiencing cold weather blown across from Siberia.
        >
        > I often read on this list about some of you guys who have been snow bound
        > for months with temperatures in the low fahrenheits.
        >
        > Last night, the London area got about 4" of snow - and it has brought the
        > city to a standstill. International airports closed, commuter trains
        > cancelled, freeways blocked by jacknifed trucks, schools closed, the
        > entire
        > London bus network cancelled. It's chaos out there - and people have been
        > advised to stay indoors.
        >
        > Admittedly this is the worst snow this region has had for 18 years, and
        > clearly our authorities and population are not prepared for it.
        >
        > Meanwhile our powerplant and oil-refinery workers are staging industrial
        > action - in one of the coldest snaps for years.
        >
        > It just goes to show that it doesn't take much to bring a nation into
        > crisis.
        >
        > For those of you up to your waists in snow and 20F temperatures - have a
        > little chuckle at us useless Brits! ;-)
        >
        > With a day off work and meetings cancelled, I can get on with some
        > gasification activities.
        >

        > Ken

      • Benjamin Bof
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
          Friends ; in 1977 we visit Scotland and there we ask to an guy "good
          whether?" .
          He says "not", well then "good whether?"
          "Oh .no,no british whether" answer to me
          Remembering
          Ben

          On 2/2/09, r-m-ohler@... <r-m-ohler@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > city to a standstill. International airports closed, commuter trains
          > > cancelled, freeways blocked by jacknifed trucks, schools closed, the
          > > entire
          > > London bus network cancelled. It's chaos out there - and people have been
          > > advised to stay indoors.
          > >
          > > Admittedly this is the worst snow this region has had for 18 years, and
          > > clearly our authorities and population are not prepared for it.
          > >
          > > Meanwhile our powerplant and oil-refinery workers are staging industrial
          > > action - in one of the coldest snaps for years.
          > >
          > > It just goes to show that it doesn't take much to bring a nation into
          > > crisis.
          > >
          > > For those of you up to your waists in snow and 20F temperatures - have a
          > > little chuckle at us useless Brits! ;-)
          > >
          > > With a day off work and meetings cancelled, I can get on with some

        • Mike LaRosa
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
            Hi Ken, I had heard reports that there were concerns that many folks
            would be staying up late to watch our superbowl. Looks like it worked
            out for some of them to stay home and sleep in ?? Mike

            --- In WoodGas@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Boak" <ken.boak@...> wrote:

            > John, List,
            >
            > Today's weather just goes to show how fragile our infrastructure is,
            and how
            > unprepared we are for anything out of the ordinary. Suburban
            Europeans are
            > over reliant on transport systems, communications and utilities
            functioning
            > normally.
            >
            > Our international airports have been closed because the runways were
            not
            > snow-ploughed or gritted yesterday. However, most of the breakdown in
            > public transport, has been because drivers and othere essential
            workers have
            > not been able, or willing to travel into work.
            >
            > With most schools closed, most parents will have been faced with
            child care
            > logistic problems - reinforcing the desire of most of the working
            population
            > to stay at home.
            >
            > I went out at 9:30 to clear the 6" layer of snow from my van. I'm
            going to
            > need it tomorrow and don't want to have it freeze overnight. Our
            street is
            > not ploughed or gritted/salted, and even the main highway is
            treacherous.
            > As this kind of weather is so atypical and infrequent, most folks
            have no
            > experience of driving in snow, nor do we have the need for
            snow-tyres. The
            > roads just turn to chaos.
            >
            > I have tried to break free from this cycle of vunerability. I have
            a back
            > up generator in my shed capable of heating and powering the house,
            and my
            > gasifier experiments will allow greater flexability and freedom from
            fossil
            > fuels. I have a woodstove with back-boiler in the living room which is
            > capable of heating most of the house.
            >
            > The snow has stopped for now, but weathermen are predicting more later
            > today.
            >

            > Ken

          • Robin Dumpleton
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
              I know that the global warming debate goes on, but they really have no idea about what is going on. Meteorologists are predicting warmer wetter winters for the UK and drier summers. However Global warmalists? are predicting that ocean currents will weaken. The UK is given it's fairly benign climate by the North Atlantic drift. Glasgow is further north than Moscow, so a weakening of the NAD, should lead to winters somewhat Siberian with 100" of snow being the norm, with summers being decidedly chilly, though dry.
              Not to be a conspiracy theorist, are the meteorologists just telling us what the government want us to hear. The thing is now is the time to prepare for a severe and prolonged siberian climate. The global warming theory is just that....still and "scientists have absolutly no idea what will happen until it does. By the time they have removed their craniums from their collected sphincters, the world could have gone to pot

              Robin

> [...]

              > city to a standstill. International airports closed, commuter trains
              > cancelled, freeways blocked by jacknifed trucks, schools closed, the
              > entire
              > London bus network cancelled. It's chaos out there - and people have been
              > advised to stay indoors.
              >
              > Admittedly this is the worst snow this region has had for 18 years, and
              > clearly our authorities and population are not prepared for it.
              >
              > Meanwhile our powerplant and oil-refinery workers are staging industrial
              > action - in one of the coldest snaps for years.
              >
              > It just goes to show that it doesn't take much to bring a nation into
              > crisis.
              >
              > For those of you up to your waists in snow and 20F temperatures - have a
              > little chuckle at us useless Brits! ;-)
              >
              > With a day off work and meetings cancelled, I can get on with some

            • Kevin Chisholm
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
                Dear Robin
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
                  Funny. My daughter got a two-day "ice" vacation from school...spent it
                  cutting and delivering firewood with her boyfriend...her muscles are
                  sore now.

                  The last two days have been 50's and near 60 F...I spent it under my
                  being built home shoring up the inadequate support put in by a
                  contractor I hired. I'm batting 1000...four contractors have done
                  little bits, and all four of them I have had to go around behind and
                  fix. I think I'll do the rest myself. Should be less work.

                  Now to find time to start my woodgas project...

                  On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 09:39 +0000, Ken Boak wrote:
                  > List,
                  >
                  > The UK is currently experiencing cold weather blown across from Siberia.
                  >
                  > I often read on this list about some of you guys who have been snow bound
                  > for months with temperatures in the low fahrenheits.
                  >
                  > Last night, the London area got about 4" of snow - and it has brought the
                  > city to a standstill. International airports closed, commuter trains
                  > cancelled, freeways blocked by jacknifed trucks, schools closed, the entire
                  > London bus network cancelled. It's chaos out there - and people have been
                  > advised to stay indoors.
                  >
                  > Admittedly this is the worst snow this region has had for 18 years, and
                  > clearly our authorities and population are not prepared for it.
                  >
                  > Meanwhile our powerplant and oil-refinery workers are staging industrial
                  > action - in one of the coldest snaps for years.
                  >
                  > It just goes to show that it doesn't take much to bring a nation into
                  > crisis.
                  >
                  > For those of you up to your waists in snow and 20F temperatures - have a
                  > little chuckle at us useless Brits! ;-)
                  >
                  > With a day off work and meetings cancelled, I can get on with some
                  > gasification activities.
                  >

                  > Ken

                • Stuart Perkins
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
                    600 odd "scientists" believe global warming is both real and man-made.

                    I know of at least 3000 who think otherwise.

                    If government is involved, things are not what they are presented as,
                    that you can be certain of.

                  • Terry Houston
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
                      Here's the news article I found. Sounds like you're not in the clear yet.
                      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090202/wl_nm/us_weather_europe
                      TJ

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 4, 2009
                        Dear Stuart
                        600 odd "scientists" believe global warming is both real and man-made.

                        * Did you perhaps mean to say:

                        600 "odd" scientists believe global warming is both real and man-made.

                        * They would have to be odd Scientists indeed to think that fact and truth can be determined by vote rather than data and fact. The term "Consensus Science" is an oxymoron: if you need a Consensus, it is not Science. The term Global Warming is misleading to the point of being meaningless. For example, if the Northern Hemisphere temperature decreased by 5 degrees, and the Southern Hemisphere increased by 5 degrees, the global average temperature would be unchanged.

                        I know of at least 3000 who think otherwise.

                        If government is involved, things are not what they are presented as,
                        that you can be certain of.

                        * But what about the Special Interest Groups that manipulate the Gummint, so they can make an absolute potful of money through "carbon control?" Don't leave them out... they deserve most of the credit. :-)

                        Best wishes,

                        Kevin

                      • Stuart Perkins
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 4, 2009
                          "Special Interest" groups? That is what government is. The "Special
                          Interest" groups we are aware of are nothing more than for our
                          entertainment and distraction...except that the environmental groups are
                          used by the power and control groups to funnel more power and control
                          into the pockets of those who really run things. This is also known as
                          "mercantilism", which was the real reason behind the American
                          revolution...not to stop it, but to change the pockets.

                          As long as you provide them with bread and circuses, there is no end to
                          the atrocities you can impose on the people. - a paraphrase of a
                          statement attributed to Nero.