Re: [WoodGas] Re: Stirling run by focused solar energy

  • Louie Pelletier
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2005
      i saw a show on tv last week on submarines ans they were
      using stirling engines in the subs and i find it amazing that
      they would use an engine that is only 1% to 2 % efficeient.
      Louis

      I must advise the list that the low temperature difference Stirling engine
      is really only capable of about 1% to 2% conversion rate from solar energy
      into mechanical energy.

      If it were any better than that, it would have been exploited years ago and
      used as an alternative to photovoltaic solar cells.

      The largest I have seen, was in a German University and had a collection
      surface of about 6 square metres, and was capable of about 120W ( 1/6
      hp).

      Ken - dispelling the Stirling Engine Myth since 1990

      .
    • Ken Boak
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2005
        List,

        There are many types of Stirling engine, and those used by the Swedish Navy in their submariness are approaching 40% efficient - as good as the best diesel, and rated at 100kW per engine. An extra section is welded into the hull of the sub that contains several of these 100kW Stirling engine generators.

        The low temperature difference engines, have evolved to use plastic materials and low grade heat. They are clearly not the same engine, but the principle of producing work from expanding and contracting air by heating and cooling is the same.

        There is boundless information on the web concerning Stirling engines including history, principles of operation and applications.

        The most attractive aspect of the Stirling engine to the Wood Gas list is that it requires external heating, and this could be done by burning woodgas in a burner or other suitable combustion chamber.

        Because the gas does not actually burn inside the engine, it does not require the cleaning and cooling stages - required when you want to use an IC engine.

        Small Stirling engine generators designed for home heat and power are being developed in Europe.

        Stirlings were applied to cars, trucks and buses as far back as the 1960's. They were not particularly successful when coupled to a conventional automotive transmission, because of their characteristic as a near constant speed engine (no rev range). They are more efficient when used as part of a hybrid electric drive train - as pioneered by Stir-Lec 1 in 1967!

        Ken

      • George Mogiljansky
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2005
          <http://www.stirlingenergy.com/solar_overview.htm>
          Stirling-solar combo is most efficient using a
          parabolic set-up.
          George

          --- Louie Pelletier <jbunny@...> wrote:

          > i saw a show on tv last week on submarines ans they
          > were
          > using stirling engines in the subs and i find it
          > amazing that
          > they would use an engine that is only 1% to 2 %
          > efficeient.
          > Louis
          >

          > I must advise the list that the low temperature
          > difference Stirling engine
          > is really only capable of about 1% to 2% conversion
          > rate from solar energy
          > into mechanical energy.
          >
          > If it were any better than that, it would have been
          > exploited years ago and
          > used as an alternative to photovoltaic solar cells.
          >
          > The largest I have seen, was in a German University
          > and had a collection
          > surface of about 6 square metres, and was capable of
          > about 120W ( 1/6
          > hp).
          >

          > Ken - dispelling the Stirling Engine Myth since
          > 1990
          >
          > .

          George (Canada)
          http://www.geocities.com/mogiljan/SustainableFuture.html