2125crewel embroidery

  • weasel2008
    Jan 13, 2014
       I have started having an interest in crewel embroidery. I am looking to make a pillow (12"x12" or 14x14" square) size to start off with. I am familiar with embroidery already but not crewel. many modern examples that I have seen  of crewel work is done in cross stitch.

      my questions.

      1. is cross stitch period? or rather, was it a stitch used?

      2. was cross stitch found in crewel embroidery?  can I get away with using cross stitch in a medieval motif ?

      what stitches are best suited for crewel work if I make a pillow or something that will be used?

      what stitches would be better suited for a hanging tapestry?

      I dont want to spend an arm and a leg getting into crewel. Is there anywhere that I could purchase less expensive crewel wool?

      thanks for letting me pick your brain!

      Ingunn Halldorsdottir
      Aethelmearc
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic