Re: OT-ON - Hawkwind Review

  • Cinnie Morgan
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1 10:34 AM
      For the sake of decency and decorum, I would request that Hawkwind
      and the Strawbs no longer be mentioned in the same posts.
      Thank you.

      Cinnie/SoPhi

      --- In Witchwood@yahoogroups.com, Pete Bradley <pancentricism@...>
      wrote:

      > As far as I know, not many members of Hawkwind left to join
      Fairport,;I haven't yet tracked down the legendary Hawkwind
      album "Blue Angel", featuring Mary Hopkin; the Ukulele Orchestra of
      Great Britain have never covered "Lay Down"; "I Only Want My Love to
      Grow in You" almost certainly wasn't inspired by Moorcock short
      story and sadly, the times when the Strawbs have been accompanied by
      topless go-go dancers has been far too few.

      > I would therefore suggest that the most likely connection between
      the Strawbs and Hawkwind is the White Bear. Maybe an early version of
      Hawkwind dueted there?

      > Calli reckons that Hawkwind and the Strawbs both played at the
      Cardiff music festival together in 1976 and that in 1971, Hawkwind
      and Fairport were at Glastonbury and in 1970 Hawkwind and Fairport
      both played at the Bath festival.

      > Do we win the pint?

      Strawbs
      > and the Hawks have in common (not the new Triton that will be
      unveiled at the
      > next Electric Strawbs tour of N. America---[hows that goin Chas?] )
      > Anyone know? It's worth a free pint for the 1st correct answer.
      >
      > bsnyc
      >

      > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video
      on AOL
      > Home.
      > (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?
      video=15&ncid=aolhom00030000000001)

      digest@yahoogroups.com

      > <BR>
      > Witchwood does not accommodate any discussion regarding the
      pirating of copyrighted and commercially available music.<BR>
      > <BR>Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mike Barker
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1 11:08 AM
        I'm rather taken by the image of DC delivering Sonic Attack, 10
        seconds of forever etc in the style of his Round & Round spoken
        bit ...

        --- In Witchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Cinnie Morgan" <romany_soup@...>

      • stewartbas@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1 12:10 PM
          In a message dated 4/1/2008 1:41:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          romany_soup@... writes:

          <For the sake of decency and decorum, I would request that Hawkwind
          <and the Strawbs no longer be mentioned in the same posts.
          <Thank you.

          <Cinnie/SoPhi

          What took ya so long???? ;))

          Home.

        • s.j.pritchards488@ntlworld.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1 2:44 PM
            Cali is indeed correct Hawks & Strawbs did appear on the same bill at Cardiff Castle along with Budgie, Curved Air & Status Quo - I know I was there!!

            Steve P

            > From: Pete Bradley <pancentricism@...>
            > Date: 2008/04/01 Tue AM 05:59:59 GMT
            > To: Witchwood@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [Witchwood] OT-ON - Hawkwind Review
            >
            > As far as I know, not many members of Hawkwind left to join Fairport,;I haven't yet tracked down the legendary Hawkwind album "Blue Angel", featuring Mary Hopkin; the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain have never covered "Lay Down"; "I Only Want My Love to Grow in You" almost certainly wasn't inspired by Moorcock short story and sadly, the times when the Strawbs have been accompanied by topless go-go dancers has been far too few.
            >
            > I would therefore suggest that the most likely connection between the Strawbs and Hawkwind is the White Bear. Maybe an early version of Hawkwind dueted there?
            >
            > Calli reckons that Hawkwind and the Strawbs both played at the Cardiff music festival together in 1976 and that in 1971, Hawkwind and Fairport were at Glastonbury and in 1970 Hawkwind and Fairport both played at the Bath festival.
            >
            > Do we win the pint?

          • redwolf81068
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1 7:41 PM
              Could be interesting; I'm also trying to picture DC, TH and Ron
              Chesterman busking beneath the Westway Flyover in Hammersmith. Or
              Dave Brock singing "Where is This Dream of Your Youth?" Hmmm...

              Bill F.

              > I'm rather taken by the image of DC delivering Sonic Attack, 10
              > seconds of forever etc in the style of his Round & Round spoken
              > bit ...
              >
              > --- In Witchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Cinnie Morgan" <romany_soup@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > For the sake of decency and decorum, I would request that
              Hawkwind
              > > and the Strawbs no longer be mentioned in the same posts.
              > > Thank you.
              > >
              > > Cinnie/SoPhi

            • Dick Greener
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 2 2:00 AM
                One of my other favourite bands - the 7-piece Ukelele Orchestra of Great
                Britain does a version of Hawkwind's Silver Macine arranged for ukelele -
                has to be seen to be believed. They were, IMHO, the surprise hit of
                Croperdy 2006.

                At 18:08 1.4.08 -0000, you wrote:
                >I'm rather taken by the image of DC delivering Sonic Attack, 10
                >seconds of forever etc in the style of his Round & Round spoken
                >bit ...
                >
                >--- In Witchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Cinnie Morgan" <romany_soup@...>
                >wrote:
                >>
                >> For the sake of decency and decorum, I would request that Hawkwind
                >> and the Strawbs no longer be mentioned in the same posts.
                >> Thank you.
                >>
                >> Cinnie/SoPhi
                >>
                >> --- In Witchwood@yahoogroups.com, Pete Bradley <pancentricism@>
                >> wrote:
                >> >
                >> > As far as I know, not many members of Hawkwind left to join
                >> Fairport,;I haven't yet tracked down the legendary Hawkwind
                >> album "Blue Angel", featuring Mary Hopkin; the Ukulele Orchestra of
                >> Great Britain have never covered "Lay Down"; "I Only Want My Love
                >> Grow in You" almost certainly wasn't inspired by Moorcock short
                >> story and sadly, the times when the Strawbs have been accompanied
                >by
                >> topless go-go dancers has been far too few.
                >> >
                >> > I would therefore suggest that the most likely connection between
                >> the Strawbs and Hawkwind is the White Bear. Maybe an early version
                >of
                >> Hawkwind dueted there?
                >> >
                >> > Calli reckons that Hawkwind and the Strawbs both played at the
                >> Cardiff music festival together in 1976 and that in 1971, Hawkwind
                >> and Fairport were at Glastonbury and in 1970 Hawkwind and Fairport
                >> both played at the Bath festival.
                >> >
                >> > Do we win the pint?

                DICK GREENER
                London, UK
                e-mail: dgreener@...
                STRAWBSWEB - www.strawbsweb.co.uk
                "You'll scarcely believe all the pleasures inside"
              • chris parkins
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 2 2:08 AM
                  Me too!

                  Chris

                  --- In Witchwood@yahoogroups.com, <s.j.pritchards488@...> wrote:

                  > Cali is indeed correct Hawks & Strawbs did appear on the same bill at
                  Cardiff Castle along with Budgie, Curved Air & Status Quo - I know I was
                  there!!

                  > Steve P

                • lasorrell1234
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2 2:50 AM
                    I wasn't :( I think I must have been abroad at the time. I visited
                    Cardiff Castle a few years ago though - I bet it was a fantastic
                    concert, the grounds looked lovely. Loads of peacocks wandwering
                    around everywhere too I remember, which I suppose was in keeping with
                    Budgie and Hawkwind.

                    Lindsay

                    --- In Witchwood@yahoogroups.com, "chris parkins" <chrisparkins2@...>

                  • jgc.hall@tiscali.co.uk
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2 2:46 PM

                      Not for all of us;)
                      Jon.

                      Get up to 33% off Norton Security from Tiscali - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/securepc
                    • redwolf81068
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 2 5:15 PM
                        --- In Witchwood@yahoogroups.com, Dick Greener <dgreener@...> wrote:

                        > One of my other favourite bands - the 7-piece Ukelele Orchestra of
                        Great
                        > Britain does a version of Hawkwind's Silver Macine arranged for
                        ukelele -
                        > has to be seen to be believed. They were, IMHO, the surprise hit of
                        > Croperdy 2006.

                        Or here's something that might be fun--Those Darn Accordions doing
                        arrangements of "Silver Machine" and "Lay Down." (Heard them on XM
                        Deep Tracks last night doing the theme to the old "Perry Mason" TV show-
                        -actually worked rather well!)

                        Bill F.
                      • Adrian the Rock
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 3 12:45 PM
                          Sgt Pilchards wrote:

                          >Cali is indeed correct Hawks & Strawbs did appear on the same bill at
                          >Cardiff Castle along with Budgie, Curved Air & Status Quo - I know I
                          >was there!!

                          Linz bemoaned:

                          >I wasn't :( I think I must have been abroad at the time. I visited
                          >Cardiff Castle a few years ago though - I bet it was a fantastic
                          >concert, the grounds looked lovely. Loads of peacocks wandwering around
                          >everywhere too I remember, which I suppose was in keeping with Budgie
                          >and Hawkwind.

                          Well, I was there too, but don't remember any peacocks. Do remember DC
                          saying how great it was to be back in England again, then having to
                          apologise to the crowd after the howls of derisive laughter.

                          Though I was also well into Curved Air at the time, the only Hawkwind song
                          I'd really heard before was Silver Machine. We didn't stay for Status Quo -
                          neither my friend nor I were heavy metal fans back then.

                          Funny thing, I was standing opposite the castle again only last week - I'm
                          currently doing some work in Wales and we had a meeting at the Hilton
                          which is right opposite it.

                          Adie

                          "Thou art God!" - Robert Heinlein
                          Adrian the Rock <adrian@...>
                          Horsham, Sussex <http://www.roscalen.com>
                          <http://www.myspace.com/roscalen>
                        • redwolf81068
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 4 4:27 PM
                            > Though I was also well into Curved Air at the time, the only Hawkwind
                            song
                            > I'd really heard before was Silver Machine. We didn't stay for
                            Status Quo -
                            > neither my friend nor I were heavy metal fans back then.

                            Status Quo heavy metal? Maybe I haven't heard enough of their
                            material, but very little of what I recall of theirs seems to qualify
                            as heavy metal ("Pictures of Matchstick Men" certainly isn't--more in
                            the vein of 1968 psychedelic-lite--and of the few other SQ tracks I've
                            heard, most seem to just be straight-ahead rockers). But that's just
                            my observation...

                            Bill F.
                          • Doug LeBlanc
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 4 10:36 PM
                              Absolutely, Bill! Status Quo were a straight ahead
                              rock band. Good, but average, IMHO. Doug.

                              --- redwolf81068 <crowandwolfmusic@...> wrote:

                              > > Though I was also well into Curved Air at the
                              > time, the only Hawkwind
                              > song
                              > > I'd really heard before was Silver Machine. We
                              > didn't stay for
                              > Status Quo -
                              > > neither my friend nor I were heavy metal fans back
                              > then.
                              > >
                              > Status Quo heavy metal? Maybe I haven't heard
                              > enough of their
                              > material, but very little of what I recall of theirs
                              > seems to qualify
                              > as heavy metal ("Pictures of Matchstick Men"
                              > certainly isn't--more in
                              > the vein of 1968 psychedelic-lite--and of the few
                              > other SQ tracks I've
                              > heard, most seem to just be straight-ahead rockers).
                              > But that's just
                              > my observation...
                              >
                              > Bill F.

                              Doug LeBlanc
                              Canadian Progressive Music Society
                              http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/canprog/
                              Read my writing at:
                              http://Writing.Com/authors/starlake

                            • Adrian the Rock
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 5 1:58 AM
                                Bill F wrote:

                                >Status Quo heavy metal? Maybe I haven't heard enough of their
                                >material, but very little of what I recall of theirs seems to qualify as
                                >heavy metal ("Pictures of Matchstick Men" certainly isn't--more in the
                                >vein of 1968 psychedelic-lite--and of the few other SQ tracks I've
                                >heard, most seem to just be straight-ahead rockers)...

                                You have to remember this was 1976. Back in those days there were far
                                fewer genre classifications that we have nowadays, and heavy metal was the
                                term used for anything loud and raucous. Deep Purple were another
                                example. Remember this was pre-punk!

                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 5 3:59 AM
                                  Whad'd'ya mean, were a straight ahead rock band?

                                  You guys must be in the US/Canada, I'm aware they never 'broke' over
                                  there, but in the UK they were very big indeed, masses of chart hits in
                                  the 70's (Paper Plane, Caroline, Down Down, Rocking all over the World,
                                  etc. etc.), big-selling albums, and an army of fans (the 'quo army' in
                                  fact) in acres of blue denim.

                                  Band-Aid and Live-Aid in the 80's gave them another burst of hit
                                  records, and although they haven't really had any more hit records since
                                  then (Radio 1 famously decided they weren't going to play them any more
                                  in the 90's), they continue to tour every year, filling very
                                  respectably big venues.

                                  Check out any of their early 70's albums (Piledriver, Hello, Quo in
                                  particular), really excellent, unpretentious rock/R&B/12 bar boogie.

                                  That Cardiff castle gig - Quo, Hawkwind and the Strawbs - 3 of my top 5
                                  bands on the same bill - never been bettered for me.

                                  Chris

                                  --- In Witchwood@yahoogroups.com, Doug LeBlanc <fraiswe@...> wrote:

                                  > Absolutely, Bill! Status Quo were a straight ahead
                                  > rock band. Good, but average, IMHO. Doug.
                                  >
                                  > --- redwolf81068 crowandwolfmusic@... wrote:
                                  We
                                  > > didn't stay for
                                  > > Status Quo -
                                  > > > neither my friend nor I were heavy metal fans back
                                  > > then.
                                  > > >
                                  > > Status Quo heavy metal? Maybe I haven't heard
                                  > > enough of their
                                  > > material, but very little of what I recall of theirs
                                  > > seems to qualify
                                  > > as heavy metal ("Pictures of Matchstick Men"
                                  > > certainly isn't--more in
                                  > > the vein of 1968 psychedelic-lite--and of the few
                                  > > other SQ tracks I've
                                  > > heard, most seem to just be straight-ahead rockers).
                                  > > But that's just
                                  > > my observation...

                                • chris parkins
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 5 4:01 AM
                                    That should read,

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 5 10:28 AM
                                      I mean what I said. They were just a straight ahead
                                      rock band. That does not refer to their success, or
                                      lack thereof, but to their music. They did not play
                                      progressive music in any way, shape, or form. There's
                                      nothing wrong with that, of course. I like them
                                      myself. CCR were a straight ahead rock band, and they
                                      were one of my favourites.
                                      Status Quo were (are) an excelelnt band. Kiss also
                                      play straight ahead rock, and they suck. They were so
                                      bad they had to decorate their stupid music with heavy
                                      theatrics just to get people to pay attention to them.
                                      BTW, there was a rumour that KISS stood for Knights
                                      In Satan's Service. No one in Kiss had the
                                      intelligence to create an acronym, but if they did, it
                                      should stand for Kooks In Silly Suits. Just my
                                      opinion, of course. As a great man once said, your
                                      mileage may vary. Doug.

                                    • progprinter2@mchsi.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 5 11:37 AM
                                        In high school, a friend of mine was a Quo freak. AllI had heard up until 1974 was the classic "pictures
                                        of matchstick men" which I still have on 45. He turned me onto the album "QUO?" and I thought it was a
                                        great album of rockin' kinda spacey type rock ( kinda like early Purple)

                                        Anyway, that's how I remember it. Bear in mind I smoked a lot of pot in those daze, so as Doug said,
                                        my mileage may vary! LOL!

                                        Lew

                                        --
                                        ---In the end, all one can ask for is a good
                                        day.
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 5 3:55 PM
                                          Doug I'm with you all the way about KISS.. some of the most annoying crap
                                          ever. I saw the original Fleet Wood Mac in the about 1972. KISS opened for
                                          them and I remember laughing saying., God, these guys suck. They're going
                                          now where. Well, the joke is on me. A year later they're on the cover of TIME
                                          mag etc.
                                          I still can't handle that crap. Oddly, Ace Frehley's solo, "Back In The New
                                          York Groove" I thought was quite listenable. I remember hearing the first
                                          two Frampton solo albums and thinking it was quite good but I didn't see what
                                          the big deal was.. boom.. 2 years later ..Frampton Comes Alive ( but I
                                          really like Frampton) Well, back to my day job... ha,ha,. I'll take Dave and The
                                          Boyz any day of the week... all the time!! Yeah!
                                          Very few things get me going faster than hearing the opening of "Lay Down".

                                          Cheers, Ken/NY

                                        • redwolf81068
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 5 5:35 PM
                                            > >Status Quo heavy metal? Maybe I haven't heard enough of their
                                            > >material, but very little of what I recall of theirs seems to
                                            qualify as
                                            > >heavy metal ("Pictures of Matchstick Men" certainly isn't--more in
                                            the
                                            > >vein of 1968 psychedelic-lite--and of the few other SQ tracks I've
                                            > >heard, most seem to just be straight-ahead rockers)...
                                            >
                                            > You have to remember this was 1976. Back in those days there were
                                            far
                                            > fewer genre classifications that we have nowadays, and heavy metal
                                            was the
                                            > term used for anything loud and raucous. Deep Purple were another
                                            > example. Remember this was pre-punk!

                                            Point taken, Adie...it's just that, when I think of heavy metal circa
                                            1976, Deep Purple seem a more fitting example, as did Black Sabbath
                                            and Led Zeppelin. Most of the rest would have just been what you
                                            Brits often refer to as "heavy music," which could also pertain to
                                            psychedelia. Even Bad Company, who never struck me as a heavy metal
                                            band; in fact, Blue Oyster Cult would have been closer even then
                                            (certainly moreso than they were later on!).

                                            Bill F.
                                          • redwolf81068
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 5 5:45 PM
                                              > I mean what I said. They were just a straight ahead
                                              > rock band. That does not refer to their success, or
                                              > lack thereof, but to their music. They did not play
                                              > progressive music in any way, shape, or form. There's
                                              > nothing wrong with that, of course. I like them
                                              > myself. CCR were a straight ahead rock band, and they
                                              > were one of my favourites.
                                              > Status Quo were (are) an excelelnt band. Kiss also
                                              > play straight ahead rock, and they suck. They were so
                                              > bad they had to decorate their stupid music with heavy
                                              > theatrics just to get people to pay attention to them.
                                              > BTW, there was a rumour that KISS stood for Knights
                                              > In Satan's Service. No one in Kiss had the
                                              > intelligence to create an acronym, but if they did, it
                                              > should stand for Kooks In Silly Suits. Just my
                                              > opinion, of course. As a great man once said, your
                                              > mileage may vary. Doug.

                                              LOL, Doug! Like your assessment of Kiss as "Kooks in Silly Suits,"
                                              and their music was little more than pedestrian party-rock--a less
                                              charitable term would be "cock-rock," and just as fitting. I also
                                              recall hearing that the SS in their logo, shaped as they were like
                                              lightning bolts, indicated the band were somehow connected with the
                                              Nazis (an utterly foolish and baseless claim, when you consider that
                                              Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley--Kiss' two stalwarts from beginning to
                                              end--were both Jewish, as were a couple of later members).
                                              While Status Quo have never been too well-known in the States--
                                              remember that their best-known song here is "Pictures of Matchstick
                                              Men," covered in the early '90s by Camper Van Beethoven--IMO, they're
                                              a much better band. I do recall seeing them, I think, in Live Aid
                                              and perhaps one other big concert that was broadcast on MTV years ago
                                              (before MTV became the great and awful joke that it has been
                                              since "The Real World" debuted as the first reality show).

                                              Bill F.
                                            • wbhs76
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 10 1:39 PM
                                                In a message dated 4/5/2008 6:56:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                                Knst456@... writes:

                                                << Doug I'm with you all the way about KISS.. some of the most
                                                annoying crap
                                                ever. I saw the original Fleet Wood Mac in the about 1972. KISS
                                                opened for
                                                them and I remember laughing saying., God, these guys suck.
                                                They're going
                                                now where. Well, the joke is on me. A year later they're on the
                                                cover of TIME
                                                mag etc. >>

                                                Ken,
                                                I loved Kiss first album. It was hard intensive rock. I was in the
                                                10th grade when they came out. Mott the Hoople were out there. Other
                                                bands like that. Kiss first album was great their second album sucked
                                                except for their title song to their album "Hotter then Hell"....\\

                                                Gene Simmons has his own show now on A&E on Sunday nights around
                                                10 pm called "Gene Simmons Family Jeweles" Its pretty funny. Its has
                                                him and him family in it ....Something like the Osbournes..

                                                Cheers,
                                                Tom/Ohio