Re: Taliesin

  • Suzanne Maxim
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2000
      Hi Astarte/Tim!

      > >Does anyone here have any thoughts on the bard Taliesin, and also the
      > lore
      > >about his grave beneath a particular tree, where if one were to sleep
      > upon
      > >it, one would wake insane or a poet ?

      I haven't heard of the sleeping beneath the tree bit ...

      > I think there are two forms Taliesin takes, one as a physical person
      > who was a bard and the other as a god who is pursued by the goddess
      > Cerridwen.
      >
      > The story of Taliesin and Cerridwen deals with the cycle of year using
      > symbolic animal totems of each season. It describes a type of shape-
      > shifting which was later adopted by some witches in the chain or
      > meeting dance and celebrated at the sabbats.
      >
      > There's also a version of the myth preserved in the folk song the "The
      > Twa (Two) Magicians", or other renderings under the title "The coal
      > Blacksmith". Interestingly, these folk songs invert the original order
      > of the transformations.
      >
      > Robert Graves in his classic work "The White Goddess" makes some
      > references and deals with the sacred/mythic alphabet. He quotes from
      > the Taliesin myth -
      >
      > "A primary chief bard am I to Elphin who was in stocks
      > and fetters for a year and a day. At first I was little
      > Gwion and obtained my inspiration from the cauldron of
      > the hag Cerridwen. Then for nine months almost I was in
      > Cerridwen's belly. At length I became Taliesin..."
      >
      > This portion of the story, although doesn't describe the transform-
      > ations, refers to Gwion before he became the fabled Taliesin after
      > tasting inspiration from the goddess's cauldron and later being reborn
      > from her. A truly great myth isn't it.

      Yes it is a great myth ... I see this myth as basically symbolising divine
      transformation, "the seed of spirit born in the womb of matter" ... divine
      transformation or enlightenment is a very common theme in myths ... the Norse
      legend or Odin who hangs from the Tree of Life, is also a very powerful metaphor
      for the experience of enlightenment and of particular interest to me at the moment
      as I am making a set of runes.

      ~*#BB#*~
      Suzanne
    • George/Suzanne
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2000
        I would wish to find the tree myself. I have long searched and been intrigued by the Merlin of many names.
        I have not heard of the tale which attributes madness or poetry talent to one who would sleep beneath the tree of Taliesin; where is it to be found.
        Perhaps going on the end result we may perceive that one who find Taliesin's tree will find the tree which grew in fabled Eden, the Tree of life or better known as the Tree of Knowledge and Truth. If this is true then by nature, the trees vibrations would send the truth of its very being to one who lies against it in the receptive conscious state.
        By our anatomical nature, all life exists by vibration of atoms and their interaction with their surrounding molecules.

        Druidic teaching from what I have learned believe this vibration is the means for us to attune to plants and animals. It is not really that silly. We talk of tuning into anothers feelings. Isn't that merely feeling the vibrations they send out that change the very atmosphere around them and us?

        Getting back to Taliesin's Tree. If it is indeed the tree in which he was encased then his infinitive knowledge would be there also, transferred to the living tree and then to those in contact with it. We know humans only use a small percentage of their brain and if suddenly they were filled to the brim then mentally they would be unable to initially accept the reality of their gift and so go mad. This madness may subside but then to the world the person would seem mad.

        Merlin was often purported to be mad. What other reason could the average person come up with to explain his wild theories and ideas. When he made the impossible reality then he became a magician. Today we think no differently, those guided by voices are classified and medicated to eradicate that which threatens their normality and society's standards.

        I indeed think it entirely possible, perhaps that is what happened to poor old Rip Van Winkle of fairy tale renown. He became so enthralled by what the tree had to tell him he slept through and beyond his own time.
        Well enough of me, what of others thought on this topic?

        Tatsinda.