Re: [WitchesWorkshop] Sabbats

  • Indigo Niebla
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 2:14 AM
      On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 12:32:12PM +0000, Ishna Rae wrote:

      > realised just how the traditional Wheel of the Year, even when
      > adjusted six months, really, really, REALLY doesn't fit in with the
      > coastal Australian environment.

      here in melbourne, the 4 seasons bit -almost- works, but i'd be curious
      to hear how people who live further north or inland cope. specially
      anyone who lives in the tropics. what does the wet/dry division do to
      the usual set of correspondances? does it still feel like a cycle, or
      more like a pendulum? and what about inland, where it doesn't rain
      much, but most of our primary produce is farmed? i mean, does the
      agrarian cycle of the traditional wheel actually correspond to what
      farmers really do in this country? (maybe a stupid question, but i'm a
      city kid, i have no idea about what farming really entails). any rural
      practicioners out there got stories to tell?

      indigo.
    • acaciajay
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
        I'm just wondering what other families do when celebrating the sabbats.
        Do you follow the Southern hemisphere calendar or the northern - or a
        combination of the two?
        Having children, these celebrations have become more and more important
        to me as a way of passing on tradition, knowledge and the experience of
        following nature. It seems so silly to celebrate Yule in December but
        it is also attractive because the rest of Australia is celebrating
        Christmas and many traditons are the same and it intensifies the whole
        experience for the kids (oh, okay, for me too!). And all your friends
        are willing to join in for a Samhain party on October 31st but no one
        is in the mood in May.
        But nature is important so having harvest festivals when you're
        planting is stupid! We live in the country so we 'know' what we should
        be celebrating.
        Sooo anyway what do other parents do with their families? How does your
        family reconcile these conflicting aspects?
      • frater_carfax
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
          Evening Squire

          > I'm just wondering what other families do when celebrating the
          > sabbats.

          > Do you follow the Southern hemisphere calendar or the northern - or
          > a combination of the two?

          I guess my initial question is what pagan cultural manifestation do
          you feel affinity to?

          I constantly bemoan on lists (as predictably as a Solstice itself I
          say) that the 'Celtic' Wheel'o'The Year is the default used in the
          pagan community, when presumably there could be a plethora of sacred
          calenders, sacred feasts and Holy days to explore and celebrate.

          > But nature is important so having harvest festivals when you're
          > planting is stupid! We live in the country so we 'know' what we
          > should be celebrating.

          Then I think, as you are getting prompted to do, connect to the Nature
          in your domain, map your own way, listen to your own spirits, and
          those spirits - imported and local - connected to the land around you.

          If you don't conform to the greater community, you just might be doing
          something profoundly different, and more importantly, right for you
          and your family. And those who should be celebrating this with you,
          if they are meant to be there, they will come.

          Even in Merry Olde England, times and methods of traditional festivals
          and celebrations could vary dramatically from one village to the next,
          despite being a days walk or less.

          No reason not to also encourage less conformity in this day and age I say.

          LLL

          Jonathan
        • Janine Cobb
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
            We celebrate the Southern Hemisphere calendar incorporating Xmas and Easter, simply because I am a new pagan and have always raised my children to celebrate those traditional two northern dates. I'm not really sure why though I was not Xian, tradition I guess.

            This is the first year of celebrating the wheel of the year and we do so with rituals, feasts and activities. My children grasp each celebration whole heartedly and enjoy them thoroughly. Leading up to it we also tend to make crafts or do other activities leading up to the event. This year for Yule we drew names out of a hat and each person made a gift for the other, they ranged from simple drawings, to bath salts to covered books, and you know what? My children we more excited about our simple gift exchange at Yule than they had ever been on Xmas morning, what does that say?

            If I had been a pagan before I had my children the choice would have been simply to celebrate the pagan festivals and ignore Xmas and Easter, I have always thought they were celebrated at ridiculous times of the year.

            Questions do occasionally arise from our kids about why traditional festivals are on certain dates and we explain honestly. They love being pagans and on times have invited friends to celebrate with us and all have had a great time.

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
              I celebrate the Southern Hemisphere Sabbats. But not exactly as
              reversed in the Northern Hemisphere (though close to) as I go with
              the planets and their positions in the skies. I also work with nature
              so celebrating Beltaine in winter does not work (for me) But I also go
              with any other celebration that are going. So Grandchildren have Xmas
              and I like Chocolate so eggs are in. Basically any excuse for a good
              knees-up. And a drink with an umberella in it!
            • Janine Cobb
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
                I'm interested in the astrological side Aine, where is a good place to start learning?

                BB

                Setna

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 9, 2008
                  Hi Neina,

                  Its probably best as suggested above to go with either what feels most appropriate to where
                  you live, what your beliefs are, or most importantly what you feel comfortable doing.

                  There are many ways of celebrating the changes throughout the year and it would be best to
                  read as much as you can on the topic to get a better understanding of it yourself.

                  A couple of good titles I would recommend:-

                  Sunwyse - Author: Roxanne Bodsworth ISBN: 0909223033 (Awesome book and takes into
                  account aboriginal beliefs concerning the wheel of the year. )

                  Stations of the Sun - Author: Ronald Hutton ISBN: 0198205708 (Not for the feint of heart,
                  written very much from an academic point of view. Excellent read none the less. )

                  Cheers,
                  Lughna