Have we no satori?

  • david
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2012
      A monk once went to Gensha, and wanted to learn where the entrance to the path of truth was. Gensha asked him, "Do you hear the murmuring of the brook?" "Yes, I hear it," answered the monk. "There is the entrance," the master instructed him.

      --Carl Jung, from Foreword to 'An Introduction to Zen Buddhism' by D.T. Suzuki

      As a philosopher, one is exclusively concerned with that understanding which, for its own part, has nothing to do with life. And as a Christian, one has nothing to do with paganism ("I thank thee, Lord, that I am not as other men"). There is no 'satori' within these Western bounds--that is an Oriental affair. But is it really so? Have we in fact no satori?

      --ibid

      "Listen to the sounds of the Elements for this is the music of the land."

      --Kate West, from 'The Real Witches' Year'