Re: [WitchesWorkshop] UK Police learn about Pagans and Witchcraft

  • Tim Hartridge
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
      On 01/11/2010, at 8:13 AM, Brock Ulfsen wrote:

      > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8098613/Police-
      > given-advice-on-witches-and-pagans.html
      >
      > It is Hallowe'en and the witching hour is drawing nearer, but don't be
      > alarmed � police officers are on the case, having been issued with
      > official guidance on how to deal with witches.
      >
      > The advice is contained in a 300-page "diversity handbook" which gives
      > officers a range of "dos and don'ts" when approaching followers of a
      > range of religions and other beliefs, from atheism to Zoroastrianism.
      >
      > Instructions include avoid touching a witch's "Book of Shadows", which
      > contains their spells, or handling their ceremonial dagger.
      > [...]
      > Officers are also given advice on the ceremonial dagger, known as an
      > athame, carried by witches and some other categories of pagan.
      >
      > "When entering a witch's home do not touch an athame without the
      > owner's permission," it says.
      > [...]

      This is f*%king brilliant! Thank you Brock for passing this along - I
      want a copy.

      vinum sabbati,
      Tim

    • Media Officer
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
        Hi Brock, all,

        --- In WitchesWorkshop@yahoogroups.com, Brock Ulfsen <brockulfsen@...> wrote:

        > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8098613/Police-given-advice-on-witches-and-pagans.html

        PAN has supplied similar information about Pagan beliefs and practices to the Police Multicultural Advisory Bureau here in Australia. So far they have yet to include this information in their publications (which are referred to by Police and Emergency Services personnel across Australia). They have not refused outright, merely said that our submission is still being considered - for the past 2 years or so.

        Perhaps this news will encourage them towards a decision - especially as they have no problem including information about religious communities like the Baha'i that are far smaller in numbers (but perhaps more socially acceptable.)

        Gavin Andrew
        PAN media officer
      • gregorytk
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
          Me too!

          On 01/11/2010, at 8:13 AM, Brock Ulfsen wrote:

          > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8098613/Police-
          > given-advice-on-witches-and-pagans.html
          >
          > It is Hallowe'en and the witching hour is drawing nearer, but don't be
          > alarmed - police officers are on the case, having been issued with
          > official guidance on how to deal with witches.
          >
          > The advice is contained in a 300-page "diversity handbook" which gives
          > officers a range of "dos and don'ts" when approaching followers of a
          > range of religions and other beliefs, from atheism to Zoroastrianism.
          >
          > Instructions include avoid touching a witch's "Book of Shadows", which
          > contains their spells, or handling their ceremonial dagger.
          > [...]
          > Officers are also given advice on the ceremonial dagger, known as an
          > athame, carried by witches and some other categories of pagan.
          >
          > "When entering a witch's home do not touch an athame without the
          > owner's permission," it says.
          > [...]

          This is f*%king brilliant! Thank you Brock for passing this along - I
          want a copy.

          vinum sabbati,
          Tim

          ------------------------------------

          ____________________ ooo)(0({O})0)(ooo____________________

          Witches Workshop hold regular workshops see
          http://www.witchesworkshop.com/Circle/circle_workshop.html

          Keep up to date via our WitchesWorshop Facebook Page:
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sydney-Australia/WitchesWorkshop/135651219624

          WitchesWorkshop and Witch Camp Australia also run camps
          several times a year - check out our websites for updates.
          http://www.witchcampaustralia.org.au
          http://www.witchesworkshop.com

          The WitchesWorkshop egroup holds the expectation that a
          tolerant and respectful dialogue be strived for in our
          communication with other pagans, witches magicians, et al.
          Members are encouraged to challenge anyone not adhering
          to these principles & to notify owner.

          info@...
        • carteblanche13
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
            A manual for policemen regarding Witches at Hallowe'en?

            But what about the ghosts, ghouls, vampires and zombies? Do they have manuals on those too? I'm sick of the discrimination that the police display towards Witches in this way and demand that these other entities of Darkness be subject to similar objectification and scrutinisation.

            Then again, perhaps it's high time for a review of past Police policies in this area. I know they think it looks like "equality", but surely just because "trick or treat" is acceptable to one, it doesn't make it okay for everyone. I have friends who are ghouls. Can you name any ghoul "tricks" or "treats"? No. But then maybe it's time they stopped playing the "disabled" card and thought more positively about themselves and their future.

            That will be all.

            --- In WitchesWorkshop@yahoogroups.com, Tim Hartridge <ozpagan@...> wrote:

            > On 01/11/2010, at 8:13 AM, Brock Ulfsen wrote:
            >
            > > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8098613/Police-
            > > given-advice-on-witches-and-pagans.html
            > >
            > > It is Hallowe'en and the witching hour is drawing nearer, but don't be
            > > alarmed – police officers are on the case, having been issued with
            > > official guidance on how to deal with witches.
            > >
            > > The advice is contained in a 300-page "diversity handbook" which gives
            > > officers a range of "dos and don'ts" when approaching followers of a
            > > range of religions and other beliefs, from atheism to Zoroastrianism.
            > >
            > > Instructions include avoid touching a witch's "Book of Shadows", which
            > > contains their spells, or handling their ceremonial dagger.
            > > [...]
            > > Officers are also given advice on the ceremonial dagger, known as an
            > > athame, carried by witches and some other categories of pagan.
            > >
            > > "When entering a witch's home do not touch an athame without the
            > > owner's permission," it says.
            > > [...]
            >

            > This is f*%king brilliant! Thank you Brock for passing this along - I
            > want a copy.
            >
            > vinum sabbati,
            > Tim

          • Mark Dunn
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
              Well you see CB, they have rules for Vampires, Zombies, and Ghoul's already. You'll find them under Bank Managers, Politicians and Lawyer's respectively.....
              A manual for policemen regarding Witches at Hallowe'en?

              But what about the ghosts, ghouls, vampires and zombies? Do they have manuals on those too? I'm sick of the discrimination that the police display towards Witches in this way and demand that these other entities of Darkness be subject to similar objectification and scrutinisation.

              Then again, perhaps it's high time for a review of past Police policies in this area. I know they think it looks like "equality", but surely just because "trick or treat" is acceptable to one, it doesn't make it okay for everyone. I have friends who are ghouls. Can you name any ghoul "tricks" or "treats"? No. But then maybe it's time they stopped playing the "disabled" card and thought more positively about themselves and their future.

              That will be all.

              --- In WitchesWorkshop@yahoogroups.com, Tim Hartridge <ozpagan@...> wrote:

              > On 01/11/2010, at 8:13 AM, Brock Ulfsen wrote:
              >
              > > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8098613/Police-
              > > given-advice-on-witches-and-pagans.html
              > >
              > > It is Hallowe'en and the witching hour is drawing nearer, but don't be
              > > alarmed - police officers are on the case, having been issued with
              > > official guidance on how to deal with witches.
              > >
              > > The advice is contained in a 300-page "diversity handbook" which gives
              > > officers a range of "dos and don'ts" when approaching followers of a
              > > range of religions and other beliefs, from atheism to Zoroastrianism.
              > >
              > > Instructions include avoid touching a witch's "Book of Shadows", which
              > > contains their spells, or handling their ceremonial dagger.
              > > [...]
              > > Officers are also given advice on the ceremonial dagger, known as an
              > > athame, carried by witches and some other categories of pagan.
              > >
              > > "When entering a witch's home do not touch an athame without the
              > > owner's permission," it says.
              > > [...]
              >

              > This is f*%king brilliant! Thank you Brock for passing this along - I
              > want a copy.
              >
              > vinum sabbati,
              > Tim

            • barbtrad
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
                Now have a care Mark! You might have the guild of Vampires, Zombies and Ghouls suing you for slander associating them with Bank Managers, Politicians and Lawyers:-)

                Bill.

                > Well you see CB, they have rules for Vampires, Zombies, and Ghoul's already. You'll find them under Bank Managers, Politicians and Lawyer's respectively.....

              • scott_bisseker
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
                  Greetings All,

                  I had lots to say on this issue but know better than to think anyone gives a crap so I will just put in the bare bones of what I had to say elsewhere.

                  This is a prime example of why more and more are saying: "If this is a vision of the future I want no part of it whatsoever." It is of course also a good example of why so many aren't and can never be taken seriously.

                  Seems to me that thinking is going out the window in favour of pseudo religious nationalism. When it comes to the vote (and of course I am kidding to think it ever would) I'd be voting NO on this and YES on increased secular proceedure.

                  Of course I would like to take things like this light and as a joke .. but I know only too well that there are too many people who will use silliness as precedent. And a joke today often becomes serious tomorrow.

                  Not adressing such squarely, honestly and seriously is what allows things to get as far as they do - and to be honest everyone often suffers for it.

                  Scott