Personal criticism

  • Colin Beeforth
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
      Hello young caeoimhin@...,

      Have you ever met Gavin? It's unlikely that you would be so hugely
      critical if you had met him and measured his sincerity and personal
      qualities.

      I'll listen to you criticise Gavin, when you have personally done even a
      quarter of the voluntary work he has done for PAN and for the wider
      pagan community over many years.

      Don't forget, this work was in the real world, not just the online world
      of vapours, where it is deceptively easy to speak careless things and
      press a button.

      Regards, Colin
    • Bri King
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
        Hi Colin

        Actually Caeoimhin has met Gavin person and has spent quite a lot of time on
        committee and at events with him.

        I don't think doing umpteen dozen years of voluntary work for the pagan
        community puts anyone above criticism and I would hate
        to see anyone silenced just because they haven't been able or willing to
        serve the community in the same ways as someone else
        may have.

        B*B
        Bri

        On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Colin Beeforth <colin@...> wrote:

        > Hello young caeoimhin@...,
        >
        > Have you ever met Gavin? It's unlikely that you would be so hugely
        > critical if you had met him and measured his sincerity and personal
        > qualities.
        >
        > I'll listen to you criticise Gavin, when you have personally done even a
        > quarter of the voluntary work he has done for PAN and for the wider
        > pagan community over many years.
        >
        > Don't forget, this work was in the real world, not just the online world
        > of vapours, where it is deceptively easy to speak careless things and
        > press a button.
        >
        > Regards, Colin
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > ____________________ ooo)(0({O})0)(ooo____________________
        >
        > Witches Workshop hold regular workshops see
        > http://www.witchesworkshop.com/Circle/circle_workshop.html
        >
        > Keep up to date via our WitchesWorshop Facebook Page:
        > http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sydney-Australia/WitchesWorkshop/135651219624
        >
        > WitchesWorkshop and Witch Camp Australia also run camps
        > several times a year - check out our websites for updates.
        > http://www.witchcampaustralia.org.au
        > http://www.witchesworkshop.com
        >
        > The WitchesWorkshop egroup holds the expectation that a
        > tolerant and respectful dialogue be strived for in our
        > communication with other pagans, witches magicians, et al.
        > Members are encouraged to challenge anyone not adhering
        > to these principles & to notify owner.
        >
        > info@...

        BA, BSW, Grad Dip Soc Sci
        M. Counselling

        Pomegranate Counselling & Consultancy

        www.fatlotofgood.org.au

        ScarlettHeartt Photography
        www.redbubble.com/people/scarlettheartt

      • Nicki
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2010
          Totally agree Bri,

          Not everyone who is 'known' within the pagan community is worthy of being held in high regard just because another person says so. That is for each person to judge for themselves.

          Perhaps the best judgement is to not take sides in something that isn't our business to begin with, and make a personal critisism without the knowledge to back it up.

          Nic

          --- In WitchesWorkshop@yahoogroups.com, Bri King <scarlettheartt@...> wrote:

          > Hi Colin
          >
          > Actually Caeoimhin has met Gavin person and has spent quite a lot of time on
          > committee and at events with him.
          >
          > I don't think doing umpteen dozen years of voluntary work for the pagan
          > community puts anyone above criticism and I would hate
          > to see anyone silenced just because they haven't been able or willing to
          > serve the community in the same ways as someone else
          > may have.
          >
          > B*B
          > Bri

        • Caeoimhin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2010
            --- In WitchesWorkshop@yahoogroups.com, Colin Beeforth <colin@...> wrote:

            > Hello young caeoimhin@...,

            > Have you ever met Gavin? It's unlikely that you would be so hugely critical if you had met him and measured his sincerity and personal qualities.

            > I'll listen to you criticise Gavin, when you have personally done even a quarter of the voluntary work he has done for PAN and for the wider pagan community over many years.

            > Don't forget, this work was in the real world, not just the online world of vapours, where it is deceptively easy to speak careless things and
            > press a button.

            Colin, you haven't met me either and yet you are so quick to dismiss my opinion because of my age, lack of what you define experience and apparent lack of status or title...

            Is this not a clear display of the power behind a title and the reason reason I am so concerned about its misuse? You make your own judgements though, because as a rational individual this is your freedom and expressing your opinion is your right.

            And yes this is made easier in today's age by the simple "click of a button". But one of the most important lessons I have learnt is that there are as many opinions out there as there are individuals and even though I dont agree with all of them, each is valid in its own way and speaks not only for the individual but the freedom for multiple viewpoint to co-exist at all.

            The only issue I have had so far in this conversation is with what I believe to be Gavin's misuse of his title. That has been well and truly addressed and so I shall move on. If he wishes to pursue that issue with me further in private I am ALWAYS more than happy to speak with him about it.

            Having said that, let us please put this matter to rest.

            Momentie.
            Caeoimhin