Haiti - Voodoo and Evangelicals

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi Jonathan and all

      Thought you would be interested in the article which is in today's Sydney Morning Herald. Of course this doesn't surprise me one bit.

      Cheers and BB
      Christine

      See www.smh.com.au/world/voodoo-high-priest-says-evangelicals-monopolise-aid-20100201-n8sj.html
    • Christine
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
        Hello once again

        Here is a longer article from the UK's Daily Telegraph on the same story:

        http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/centralamericaandthecaribbean/haiti/7119572/Haiti-earthquake-voodoo-high-priest-claims-aid-monopolised-by-Christians.html

        Regards
        Christine
      • carteblanche13
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
          Hi Christine and all,

          It gets better - just what IS the enduring fascination Christians seem to have with other people's kids?

          Just can't help themselves ! Check this out, if you can believe it:

          C.B.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
            They were actually charged with child trafficking according to this one: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100131/twl-haiti-police-charge-americans-with-c-4bdc673.html

            --- In WitchesWorkshop@yahoogroups.com, "carteblanche13" <carteblanche13@...> wrote:

            > Hi Christine and all,
            >
            > It gets better - just what IS the enduring fascination Christians seem to have with other people's kids?
            >
            > Just can't help themselves ! Check this out, if you can believe it:
            >
            > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8490843.stm
            >

            > C.B.
            >

            > --- In WitchesWorkshop@yahoogroups.com, "Christine" <christinec349@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Jonathan and all
            > >
            > > Thought you would be interested in the article which is in today's Sydney Morning Herald. Of course this doesn't surprise me one bit.
            > >
            > > Cheers and BB
            > > Christine
            > >
            > > See www.smh.com.au/world/voodoo-high-priest-says-evangelicals-monopolise-aid-20100201-n8sj.html

          • Frater Carfax
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2010
              Hi Christine, CB

              the misappropriation of aid is a problem. A number of the peristyles, such as that of Houngan Max Beauvoirs' that have survived are acting as aid distribution centres to those who are adherents of vodou, or any faith actually, as they are not discrimination.

              Mambo Paula Wedo in New Zealand will be going to Haiti in 3 weeks to Jacmel to assist the Temp Chango Chawa peristyle in their aid efforts with the locals. If people are interested in donating directly Vodou charitable efforts you can do so at http://vodou.co.nz/

              Benediciones

              Jonathan
            • M Lycett
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2010
                Hi Jonathan et al,

                any ideas on the ratio of Voudun followers/practitioners ( whatever y'all
                call yourselves ) over there?

                I gave some bux to World Vision back a while, but must confess that I wonder
                if it's being used properly.

                NT
                Meggs
                > Mambo Paula Wedo in New Zealand will be going to Haiti in 3 weeks to
                > Jacmel to assist the Temp Chango Chawa peristyle in their aid efforts with
                > the locals. If people are interested in donating directly Vodou
                > charitable efforts you can do so at http://vodou.co.nz/
                >
                > Benediciones
                >
                > Jonathan
              • Frater Carfax
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2010
                  Hi Meggs

                  Well over half the population have a belief or involvement in Vodou, even the ones who are Catholic, but less so Protestant - the number of people actually 'initiated' is much considerably smaller, and really tiny actually, because of the cost & responsibility it entails, but then not everyone who practices Vodou and serves their ancestors needs that initiation.

                  World Vision, hmmmm, well, I personally had bad experiences with them quite separately with a child sponsorship situation. I also have issues with the fact that their aid work goes hand in hand with missionary work.

                  There's certainly more choice with secular charities these days so there is safer ground.

                  Benediciones

                  Jonathan