Musings on an old comic strip.

  • carteblanche13
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
      I am fully aware that the following is idle speculation.

      I've just been looking at the Wiki article on Mandrake the Magician, the comic strip character.

      My mum used to like reading his strips in the paper, next to the Phantom and so on, many years ago. Harmless enough.

      Well, he was invented in the 30's. I was musing on the fact Mandrake Press, formerly owned by P.R. Stephenson, published some of Crowley's work around this time, in its brief first incarnation.

      No possible connection, thought I. Mandrake is a pretty predictable name for a magician character, and Crowley, the most infamous magician of the 30's, had left America in 1918.

      Then I noticed this bit in the article, discussing various characters in the strip (and I quote):

      "Theron [ ! ] [ sic. ] is Mandrake's father [!], although this was a secret to Mandrake for a long time. Mandrake's mother died shortly after she gave birth to Mandrake and his twin brother Derek. Theron is the headmaster of the College of Magic (Collegium Magikos) somewhere in the Himalayas. Theron is hundreds of years old, probably due to the energy of the powerful Mind Crystal of which he is the guardian."

      We know Crowley (or Therion) inspired characters in books by Maugham, Fleming, and others, but I wonder is it possible that a vague memory, a dim echo of this notorious Magician who called himself Therion and who had visited America a decade or two before the strip, had found his way, directly or indirectly, beknownst to the author of the strip or otherwise, into popular media?

      "Mandrake's Father" indeed!

      C.B.
    • frater_carfax
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
        > I've just been looking at the Wiki article on Mandrake the Magician,

        Shhh, we don't discuss Tim's secret identity on list!!

        LLL

        Jonathan
      • Nisaba Merrieweather
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
          G'dday.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
            hello Jonathan I hope to find you well not like me it seems that someone has me down for the person who can take the most ops and survive in 3 yrs i have had 3 ops and I cannot count the others in my life I think I have had it but if I do not laugh at it all then I think I would be in the hospital that my hubby used to work in but I would be in a straight jacket So keep well Amanda, Lilith.

            ________________________________
            > I've just been looking at the Wiki article on Mandrake the Magician,

            Shhh, we don't discuss Tim's secret identity on list!!

            LLL

            Jonathan

          • amanda kupkovic
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
              Hello Jonathan, It has been a long time for me away from the computer
              I hope that you are well it is the opposite of course with me so what is new
              so now it is a torn ligament and 2 stretched ligaments in rt. shoulder I must be secretly going for the most operations a person can have and survive don,t you think three straight yrs three ops and I cant count the others that I have had in my life I think I have just had it , but you got to laugh or I would be in the hospital that my hubby used to work in and in a straight jacket.
              keep well it is better than the way I live.
              Amanda. Lilith