Re: [WitchesWorkshop] Magical Herbs

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2008
      Lawrie wrote:
      > Hello happy people
      >
      > I was just wondering if you could help me with a few details
      > regarding the acquisition of herbs and other plant material in
      > Australia.
      >
      > What are some of the harder to attain herbs/plants?
      >
      > Is it best to have them fresh or is dried OK?
      >
      > Are there any Australian native alternatives for these harder to
      > attain items?
      >
      > Where is the best place to purchase rare herbs in or around Sydney
      > and if no suitable places, are there any web sites?
      >
      > Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Lawrie

      Greetings Lawrie...

      For living plants I use Herbalistics - http://www.herbalistics.com.au
      (they even post to us over in Perth)

      And for Australian alternatives try the Australian Bushfoods site and
      forum - http://www.bushfood.net/

      Pete
      http://www.ecstaticearth.com
    • firewitch73
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2008
        Hi, Well covered, I have studied herbal medicine and wanted to mention something just to
        add to the comment about using a dandelion to represent the sun etc. There is something
        called the Doctrine of Signatures which, though to put it simply, was the way our ancestors
        figured out how herbs worked, eg a wonderful little berry that is red and heart shaped,
        works wonders for the heart.
        I like the idea of going outside and observing nature in our own backyard and trying to
        utilise what we have there for magical workings, I have been doing that for ages. Of course
        I say all this, as always, at the risk of criticism, but I feel the longer I have been doing this
        witchy stuff, the simpler it should and has gotten. Works for me. ;0)
        Michelle
        --- In WitchesWorkshop@yahoogroups.com, "Hania Trzaskowski" <chirinka@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > b) How is it harvested?
        > c) if dried, how is it dried? processing?
        > d) storage - how long has it been in storage? do you know? This is an
        > important one when buying herbs from magickal stores. I have it on
        > good authority that most magickal stores, when it comes to dried herbs
        > loose - have got their stock often from wholefoods stores or health
        > food stores that have herbs that have gone out of date. I know of 2 in
        > Melbourne who source their herbs like this, and know that this happens
        > in Sydney and Brisbane as well. If it isnt dated - don't buy it. I've
        > known some herbs to be over 8 years old since they were harvested -
        > aside from huge loss in medicinal properties - energetically they can
        > be quite dead as well. Who cares how 'rare' or 'mysterious' it is or
        > how mystical the name of it sounds, you are still better going outside
        > and picking a dandelion flower to represent the sun, it's leaf for
        > emotion /water based rites or it's root for banishment rituals - then
        > you are using some ancient mystical crappy discoloured international
        > fancy named piece of herb that has gone grey from long storage.
        > Remember, just becasue it's common and doesnt have a fancy name, does
        > not mean it's less valuable as a herb.
        > e) is it allowed in the country? if it is a weed here, and it is
        > banned by AQIS - then do you really want to work with something like
        > that knowing it's seeds could be possibly harmful to our ecosystems?
        > research it a bit - that is still classified as putting your energy
        > into the thing :-)
        > f)another thing to consider - esp with imported herbs - is that
        > many/most have been GAS TREATED, IRRADIATED or HEAT TREATED. check
        > AQIS ICON seqarch to find out what may happen to the herbs you buy.
        > Best therefore to grow your own. If not, PLEASE check. Many magickal
        > stores wiull not know this information and may just say 'yes its
        > fine...'. Heat treament makes a herb very null & void of all
        > properties, aside from symbolic. Irradiations can change its
        > nutritional value and warp the energetic imprint of a herb. Gas
        > treatment is relatively okay, its there to kill of nasty bugs and
        > pests, but is used in pretty much EVERY root and bark stock that comes
        > into this country. It may exhibit residue from the gas.
        >
        > I hope this helps.
        > CHeers,
        > Hania
        >

        > > I was just wondering if you could help me with a few details
        > > regarding the acquisition of herbs and other plant material in
        > > Australia.
        > >
        > > What are some of the harder to attain herbs/plants?
        > >
        > > Is it best to have them fresh or is dried OK?
        > >
        > > Are there any Australian native alternatives for these harder to
        > > attain items?
        > >
        > > Where is the best place to purchase rare herbs in or around Sydney
        > > and if no suitable places, are there any web sites?
        > >
        > > Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

      • Sandra
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2008
          Thank you for sharing Michelle. The Doctrine of Signatures forms the
          basis of many things, including astrological. It is the basis of our
          correspondences. And, you're right. Basic observations and
          conversation with the entity/Diety/plant you are working with will
          always work far better than anything else I have found.

          Sandra
          --- In WitchesWorkshop@yahoogroups.com, "firewitch73"