January - Astarte & Tom's Earthwise Bush Echoes

  • Astarte Earthwise
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2007
      January - Astarte & Tom's Earthwise Bush Echoes

      The wheel turns. Cicadas sing.often hot, uncomfortable even, drying hot
      winds from the North, always the threat of bush fire looms. Here in NSW
      which is our personal experience, the drought has finally broken, a new
      years gift this day of 69 mm of rain into Warragamba Dam the most for 2
      years! Last night and today we hear the croaking of the frogs, not heard for
      2 years now.

      We've travelled a fair bit the last 2 weeks, from the Northern Beaches of
      Palm Beach to Red Hill, in the shadow of Mt Horrible in the Great Dividing
      Range, to the gold mining town of Sofala to the depths of the still and damp
      Pine Forests near Oberon looking for Mushrooms. We've been across the
      Berowra Ferry, visited the Hieroglyphs in Woy Woy and all the way to Broke
      to look at the festering sores of open cut coal mining on our precious
      Earth.

      We've harvested the fruit of the seasons, indigenous to this land. We have
      also harvested medicines and magickal herbs. Rescued turtles, seen and fed a
      wild fox by torch light, seen countless lizards and birds, a goanna,
      abundant eastern grey kangaroos, wallabies, echidnas, wombats, fish,
      aboriginal engravings, medicine pools and axe grindings.

      Yesterday we returned to bush land that had been devastated by fire 2004 on
      the Central Coast, and we found it alive as if the rains had bought spring
      itself, I have never seen the bush so alive, and in such abundance of
      flower, berry and fruit. We feasted on the nectar of mountain devil,
      Astarte's favourite Bush Tucker

      In much of Australia the desolating effects of the sun are peaking.
      Bushfires threaten many regions. Brilliant colours of Hibiscus, Lobelia,
      Frangipani, Crepe Myrtle, Bougainvillea, and Cannas are seen, along with
      many annuals. Fruit grows heavier on the trees. Harvesting season for wheat
      approaches. Many gum trees in flower especially the Red Stringybark it is
      abundant with creamy blossoms on drooping branches. Magpie babies are now
      seen out on their own, you can spot them by their babyish grey necks.
      Lorikeets young are squawking for their food, as are some Noisy Minors. The
      oceans tides are exceptionally low and it's a great time for exploring rock
      platforms. Large fish patrol the beaches as many sea creatures wash in,
      especially toadfish and blue bottles. Young sea birds hatch in burrows and
      sand-scapes. Butterflies and dragonflies abound. Snakes and lizards bask on
      the warm rocks. Echidnas are on the move looking for ants nests. Mushrooms
      appear in pine forests and ghost fungus on logs. Lots of feathers on the
      ground as birds start moulting. Crimson Bottlebrush (Callistemon) is
      flowering.

      More humid days ahead this month, look out for winged ants and moths in
      abundance, watch the birds take off after them! We will have an increase in
      insects and you will notice many more spiders webs, in the bush and in your
      backyards, butterflies are emerging and lookout for toadstools after our
      summer storms, and you will definitely hear the tree frogs song! The red gum
      is flowering this month as are the dandelions. Seeds appear on the wild
      fennel, and paspalum grass. Now is the time to harvest the seeds of kangaroo
      grass for spring time plantings. At the beaches look out for mangrove seeds
      washing up. Grass trees now drop their spear like flowers, our cute friends
      the praying mantis and the stick insects will be stopping by your
      neighbourhood to say hello too, as will the rascally wasp. Make sure you
      protect your clothes in cupboards at this is when the clothes moth emerge.
      Our native violets will be in flower, as will our callistemon, and many
      species of Grevillea. Keep on top of the weeds here in Sydney, as the rain
      has fed them, and the khaki weed and clover are on the run yet again.

      Right now in Australia, we are still in drought, this month could see many
      bush fires threatening many people, and destroying habitats in the bush and
      National Parks. Make sure in the next few months you have fresh water
      available for the birds, and food if needed if fires are near you, keep an
      eye out for injured wildlife. Please take a moment each day to say a prayer
      for the planet and everything precious upon it.

      Remember for those in the Southern Hemisphere, get outside early and enjoy
      the great outdoors! Whilst those in the North, watch their ponds freeze over
      and birds migrate as they prepare for the snow, isn't the balance of the
      planet awesome!

      Both Tom and I wish you all the very best for this New Year, may 2007 be the
      year of environmental and personal awareness on a planetary level.

      The full moon will be on Wednesday the 3rd at 11.57pm in the sign of Cancer,
      whilst the new moon is on Friday the 19th at 2.01pm it is in the sign of
      Capricorn

      Soil fertility days are -

      Most Fertile - 3, 4, 13, 14, 22, 23, 30 & 31

      Calendar Dates

      Open Public Events

      2nd January Earthwise Full Moon Ritual

      21st January Earthwise Witchcraft Course - ongoing

      26th January Earthwise Lammas/Lughnasadh/Australia Day Ritual

      For more information on these Events

      Please contact Astarte on 9623 9963 or 0409 986 095

      Wise & Blessed Be
      Astarte Earthwise xXx

      http://www.earthwise.net.au/