RE: [WitchesWorkshop] the moderator

  • Lisa Bogle
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
      This is such a shame for me. I am new to the list by just a couple months
      and I find myself just deleting alot of stuff cause instead of learning I am
      constantly being disappointed that the discussions are just slinging
      matches. I had thought that our beliefs really had alot to do with tolerance
      for many ways and that surely we had learnt after so many hundreds of years
      of persecution that difference does not require a "call to arms" and how to
      state our opinions tactfully?

      I keep holding out that it will get better and I won't need to unsubscribe.

      I want to learn more from the knowledge that I see glimpses of on this list
      but I am really a bit disillusioned about how everyone is treating each
      other - is this really a true representation of the pagan movement in modern
      times?
      Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:16:36 +1000
      From: "Mara" <mara.lucas@...>
      Subject: Re: ritual fears and other crap

      Hi Tim can you somehow snip out all those letters that are really enoying
      and waste our valuable time.
      I like to read the W/W forum, but some people are getting beyond my
      nerves.
      Thanks, Ishtar

      The WitchesWorkshop egroup holds the expectation
      that a tolerant and respectful dialogue be strived
      for in our communication with other pagans, witches
      magicians, et al. Members are encouraged to
      challenge anyone not adhering to these principles
      and to notify the list-owners. ozpagan@...

      http://www.witchesworkshop.com

      Service.

    • Tim Hartridge
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
        Hi Lisa, Deanna and Artemiss,

        Lisa Bogle wrote:

        > This is such a shame for me. I am new to the list by just a couple
        > months
        > and I find myself just deleting alot of stuff cause instead of
        > learning I am
        > constantly being disappointed that the discussions are just slinging
        > matches....

        Its been said before but is worth saying again - eGroups are no
        different from attending a local Pagans-in-the-Pub moot. The dialogue
        we experience is likely to be casual rather than profound. We can
        however help lift the standard of conversation through our own
        contributions, applauding intelligent dialogue and not engaging in
        pettiness.

        Just a general note about the role of 'moderator'. The moderator of
        any eGroup can make only limited and oft times purely a reactive
        response to any perceived 'bad' behaviour. (So please go easy on me
        because I'm the only moderator you've got.)

        > I had thought that our beliefs really had alot to do with tolerance
        > for many ways and that surely we had learnt after so many hundreds
        > of years
        > of persecution that difference does not require a "call to arms"
        > and how to
        > state our opinions tactfully?

        While I certainly don't advocate intolerance, people some times feel
        the need to protect their interpretation of witchcraft, paganism,
        etc. You only have to look at peoples' very mix reactions to any
        public and pop witches to have some idea of just how passionate those
        feelings can be.

        > I keep holding out that it will get better and I won't need to
        > unsubscribe.

        A level of objectivity with what you can reasonably expect from the
        eGroup might be an alternative to that.

        Artemiss wrote:
        > Hi Ishtar / Tim
        > I was going to ask Tim about the same thing... about him stepping
        > in with
        > some of these flaming and plain stupid back-and-froings going on...

        I'm not sure what posts you are referring to (please supply off
        list). But in the meantime, just keep in mind those who do indulge in
        that type of banter only undermine their own credibility.

        I'm still pretty busy... sorry.

        vinum sabbati,
        Tim Hartridge <moderator>

        http://www.witchesworkshop.com