Re: [WitchesWorkshop] Australian Indigenous Witchcraft

  • Louise
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hi All,

      >Myhusband and i are both interested in learning about the aboriginal way. I am not >australian, but still feel that this is now my home, and so i need to embrace the magic of >the land ( this land).

      I don't want to sound dismissive of indigenous spirituality, or anyone's desire to learn more about it (because I'm not, and I think everyone should find out more about it), but I sometimes think that taking any indigenous belief system out of context is sort of missing the point, when these spiritualities are based in a specific culture.

      In my opinion, anyone who was born here, or has lived here for seven years and actually cares enough to think about it, has a spiritual connection to the land. I don't think indigenous spirituality can be peeled off indigenous culture and stuck onto mostly anglo and euro folks like a sticker. I think that it's good for people to sense and explore the spirituality and magick of the places they live and visit and interpret it taking into consideration their own heritage, beliefs and knowledge. I don't think there's only one right or correct way to interact spiritually with the land.

      cheers,
      Louise

    • witchdoktor
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
        Hi Louise
        Yes I understand what you are saying, and I was actually brought up in NZ where embracing the Maori way, was just a part of life, not a separate entity. I just feel that i would like to understand a little better, the aboriginal way. Also as I am a herbalist, my primary interest was in herblore- but this is usually heavily entwined with the spirituality.
        witchdoktor

        Louise wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > >Myhusband and i are both interested in learning about the aboriginal way. I am not >australian, but still feel that this is now my home, and so i need to embrace the magic of >the land ( this land).
        >
        > I don't want to sound dismissive of indigenous spirituality, or anyone's desire to learn more about it (because I'm not, and I think everyone should find out more about it), but I sometimes think that taking any indigenous belief system out of context is sort of missing the point, when these spiritualities are based in a specific culture.
        >
        > In my opinion, anyone who was born here, or has lived here for seven years and actually cares enough to think about it, has a spiritual connection to the land. I don't think indigenous spirituality can be peeled off indigenous culture and stuck onto mostly anglo and euro folks like a sticker. I think that it's good for people to sense and explore the spirituality and magick of the places they live and visit and interpret it taking into consideration their own heritage, beliefs and knowledge. I don't think there's only one right or correct way to interact spiritually with the land.
        >
        > cheers,
        > Louise

      • Louise
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
          HI Witchdoktor,

          Maori myth was the very first I ever got into :) I understand what you mean, and really I was careless tagging my rant onto your post in the first place. Sorry about that.

          Oooh yeah, indigenous herblore should be groovy. There's a woman I have an email address for somewhere here who teaches Koori stuff, Suzanne had her at the Starhawk workshops and I heard she was fantastic. [Edit - just checked, and the site of hers I saw seems to be down/gone. Suzanne will know.]

          cheers,
          Louise
          Hi Louise
          Yes I understand what you are saying, and I was actually brought up in NZ where embracing the Maori way, was just a part of life, not a separate entity. I just feel that i would like to understand a little better, the aboriginal way. Also as I am a herbalist, my primary interest was in herblore- but this is usually heavily entwined with the spirituality.
          witchdoktor

        • Noni Sampson
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
            Hi Hummy,
            Thanks heaps
            Love Noni
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
              --- witchdoktor <witchdoktor@o...> wrote:
              > Hi Louise
              > Yes I understand what you are saying, and I was actually brought up
              in NZ where embracing the Maori way, was just a part of life, not a
              separate entity.

              Kia Ora witchdoktor

              What part of NZ cos I hail from the Bay of Plenty ..

              Blessings - Frances
            • humungus
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
                Hya frances
                e pehea koe ana???

                bay of plenty eh?? hehehe I spent some years on the Marae at Awahou outside Rotorua in my childhood, and schooled a coupla years at Ngongotaha public school.

                Interesting that Mt Ngongotaha is one of the dwelling places of nz's own faeried, the patupaieha

                What part of the bay did you live in??

                About chumley yea wow his books are expensive I hope he sticks them on free ebooks one day, they are way outa my price range

                love and laughter

                hummy

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
                  > e pehea koe ana???

                  err - sorry, hummy, but this paheka chick only had two years of Maori
                  which resulted in being able to swing a poi (kind of), count to 10
                  and sing some song about a rabbit!!

                  Ngongotaha rings a bell in the ol' grey matter - then again, I was
                  only cross the other side of the hills in Katikati.

                  Blessings - Frances

                  Hu--- In WitchesWorkshop@yahoogroups.com, "humungus" <jannicot@o...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hya frances
                  > e pehea koe ana???
                  >
                  > bay of plenty eh?? hehehe I spent some years on the Marae at Awahou
                  outside Rotorua in my childhood, and schooled a coupla years at
                  Ngongotaha public school.

                  > Interesting that Mt Ngongotaha is one of the dwelling places of
                  nz's own faeried, the patupaieha

                  > What part of the bay did you live in??
                  >
                  > About chumley yea wow his books are expensive I hope he sticks them
                  on free ebooks one day, they are way outa my price range

                  > love and laughter
                  >
                  > hummy

                  Service.

                • Damo Dom
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
                    Hey,
                    Yeah I guess I am into jjust learning about my spirituallity and I do feel that I have a connection with the earth. I do feel strongly about my beliefs as my mother was a tribal woman who spoke langauge. I am basically trying to find my own path in life you know done the church thingy and got bored and now I guess I am trying to find a path that suits me. Being an eclectic suits me right down to the ground, as I am the type who never jsut takes one side of story to be fact. The ritual type stuff I do is basically asking the spirits to let me be here as I am a visitor only and I ask them to come sit with me whenever I am out in the bush. This is how I do my stuff and I am very sensitive to feeling the universe which I guess come from my upbringing, and respect for Aboriginal culture. I love my culture and how we used to do things around here(land) in a spiritual sense.

                    The land is very important to us and we respect the land totally, as Aborigianl people we do feel kinship to the land and mother earth which I am sure you guys have heard this b4? and it is totally true that we feel kinship to mother earth. So my ritual type stuff is all revolves around respect of the spirits who used to walk this land and pay homage to them. if this is not enough then plz get back to me with whatever Q's you might have.

                    BB DamoDom

                  • witchdoktor
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 2, 2004
                      Kia Ora Frances
                      I am originally from Auckland, but spent alot of time with the Maori
                      people in the Hokianga. I worked in the waipous forest - near dargaville
                      for a few years ( the home of the great Kauri). I am not actually maori
                      myself, but hey it is still ingrained into us pakehas as well.

                      Hope you had a great new year
                      witchdoktor
                    • Tim Rice
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 2, 2004
                        Thanks Damo, that was pretty much the info I was after.

                        I am, however, also curious about particular ritual or meditative
                        practises, as well as different myths and legends. Know anything
                        about such things?

                        Tim

                        --- In WitchesWorkshop@yahoogroups.com, Damo Dom