Re: As Above, So Below

  • * SageyLee * <sageylee@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2003
      --- In WitchesWorkshop@yahoogroups.com, "frater_carfax
      <tzuflifu@y...>" <tzuflifu@y...> wrote:

      > Something important about this phrase- many mistake it as
      > meaning "That which is above" is like- or the same- as "That which
      > is below". This is not the case.
      >
      > What the phrase describes is an intrinsic relationship and that the
      > two "move in harmony" with each other to achieve the will of the
      One-
      > not necessarily being the reflection of each other.

      Well said Jonathan - and - Hello to you! LOL

      May I add, I've heard people talking about the thought
      "As Above - So Below" and, as you mentioned, they have extended it to
      say - therefore - "as below - so above".

      This might make sense in a temporal setting, but not in a
      parapsychological or metaphysical sense.

      The way I use the term it means when we are working to understand
      about "Continuous Creation", which is what the phrase indicates, it
      is only "As Above - So Below".

      In my practise "As Above - So Below" indicates the first state of
      creation, before the thought expands.

      In this context 'below' doesn't exist yet, and won't until 'above'
      becomes separated from itself.

      The strange and interesting thing about this is that in order to
      fully grasp the concept we need to understand that it works in the
      present tense at all times.
      That is: it's happening now and all the time, rather than
      happening 'back then', or only happening once.

      Love

      Leonora
      http://witchywisdom.com
      _ _
      May the thrill of living
      Permeate your world

      (((Feel))) the Rhythm
    • Az
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2003
        merry New Year to all
        There are many translations of the Emerald Tablet of Hermes...below is one for you. See #2. I like to think of it as the lemniscate where there is a continual recycling from above to below and back again - continuous creation AND de-struction with a blink of maintenance in between - as Leonora put it so well.
        AZ
        Another Arabic Version (from the German of Ruska, translated by ´┐ŻAnonymous').

        0) Here is that which the priest Sagijus of Nabulus has dictated concerning the entrance of Balinas into the hidden chamber... After my entrance into the chamber, where the talisman was set up, I came up to an old man sitting on a golden throne, who was holding an emerald table in one hand. And behold the following - in Syriac, the primordial language- was written thereon:
        1) Here (is) a true explanation, concerning which there can be no doubt.
        2) It attests: The above from the below, and the below from the above -the work of the miracle of the One.
        3) And things have been from this primal substance through a single act. How wonderful is this work! It is the main (principle) of the world and is its maintainer.
        4) Its father is the sun and its mother the moon; the
        5) wind has borne it in its body, and the earth has nourished it.
        6) the father of talismen and the protector of miracles
        6a) whose powers are perfect, and whose lights are confirmed (?),
        7) a fire that becomes earth.
        7a) Separate the earth from the fire, so you will attain the subtle as more inherent than the gross, with care and sagacity.
        8) It rises from earth to heaven, so as to draw the lights of the heights to itself, and descends to the earth; thus within it are the forces of the above and the below;
        9) because the light of lights within it, thus does the darkness flee before it.
        10) The force of forces, which overcomes every subtle thing and penetrates into everything gross.
        11) The structure of the microcosm is in accordance with the structure of the macrocosm.
        12) And accordingly proceed the knowledgeable.
        13) And to this aspired Hermes, who was threefold graced with wisdom.
        14) And this is his last book, which he concealed in the chamber.
        [Anon 1985: 24-5]

        "* SageyLee * <sageylee@...>" <sageylee@...> wrote:--- In WitchesWorkshop@yahoogroups.com, "frater_carfax
        <tzuflifu@y...>" <tzuflifu@y...> wrote:

        > Something important about this phrase- many mistake it as
        > meaning "That which is above" is like- or the same- as "That which
        > is below". This is not the case.
        >
        > What the phrase describes is an intrinsic relationship and that the
        > two "move in harmony" with each other to achieve the will of the
        One-
        > not necessarily being the reflection of each other.

        Well said Jonathan - and - Hello to you! LOL

        May I add, I've heard people talking about the thought
        "As Above - So Below" and, as you mentioned, they have extended it to
        say - therefore - "as below - so above".

        This might make sense in a temporal setting, but not in a
        parapsychological or metaphysical sense.

        The way I use the term it means when we are working to understand
        about "Continuous Creation", which is what the phrase indicates, it
        is only "As Above - So Below".

        In my practise "As Above - So Below" indicates the first state of
        creation, before the thought expands.

        In this context 'below' doesn't exist yet, and won't until 'above'
        becomes separated from itself.

        The strange and interesting thing about this is that in order to
        fully grasp the concept we need to understand that it works in the
        present tense at all times.
        That is: it's happening now and all the time, rather than
        happening 'back then', or only happening once.

        Love

        Leonora
        http://witchywisdom.com
        _ _
        May the thrill of living
        Permeate your world

        (((Feel))) the Rhythm

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        The WitchesWorkshop egroup holds the expectation
        that a tolerant and respectful dialogue be strived
        for in our communication with other pagans, witches
        magicians, et al. Members are encouraged to
        challenge anyone not adhering to these principles
        and to notify the list-owners. ozpagan@...

        OzPagan - exploring the psychic experience
        http://www.ozpagan.com
        Replies to: WitchesWorkshop@egroups.com

        you must deconstruct your self before you can move without obstruction thru the universe

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2003
          Hi Johnathon
          You wrote:-

          > Something important about this phrase- many mistake it as
          > meaning "That which is above" is like- or the same- as "That which
          > is below". This is not the case.

          It seems to me that saying '...above is "like" ...below' is not at
          all the same as saying '...above is "the same as"...below'. I would
          agree that attempting to perceive the micro and macrocosms as
          identical probably requires some serious editing of perceptual input
          and is unlikely to be a very usefull means of interacting with the
          sensory world! However I am not aware of any data from either
          experience or theory that compels me to disregard the possibility
          of 'similarity' between the levels, in fact it is a concept that I
          have found to be very usefull. Indeed it was just such a perception
          that led me to begin exploring the world of the occult. I have also
          used the idea that 'the micro and macrocosms can be seen as
          reflections of each other', as an effective means of establishing a
          magical link between two or more otherwise apparently unrelated
          entities. It seems to me that this is not a new idea and in fact
          underlies many of the principles of sympathetic magick and systems of
          coresponences such as the doctrine of signatures etc.

          > What the phrase describes is an intrinsic relationship and that the
          > two "move in harmony" with each other to achieve the will of the
          One-
          > not necessarily being the reflection of each other.

          I don't really see any conflict between these two positions, I
          strongly suspect that the perception of a conflict lies more in the
          habit our (western european) society has of seeing things in
          Aristotolean type dualities, rather than any inherint qualities of
          the universe.

          I tend to favour the type of multi-model approach that Robert Anton
          Wilson describes, in which some models can be seen to be more or less
          functional in some situations than others. It is then the task of
          the magician to determine which model best serves our needs in the
          particular situation in which we find ourselves.

          BM
          Hawthorn