Re: [WisCats] Re: need feedback on feral shelters

  • Nikki Hronis
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2013
      My friend has the same poblem-we think it may be the scent of her dog in the yard area that makes them want to leave. Even tho the dog isn't ouththere, his scent remains.
      Nikki

      From: Heidi Blank <heidiblank@...>
      To: "WisCats@yahoogroups.com" <WisCats@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Monday, December 31, 2012, 3:35 PM

      Stacy:  I would agree give it some more time and trust me, they will quickly find it.  It took some time for my newcomers to find their house once I moved it on my deck when it started getting colder.

      Heidi

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 7, 2013
        I don't remember if I responded on this thread. If I have and repeat myself..sorry!!! My mom passed away in June and I am moving my disabled sister to my home in upstate NY and I feel as though my brain is glue.

        I had one of the tube shelters and our feral mama cat would not use it at all. I kept finding snails in there and spiders and nothing else. I am not sure why.  In snowy areas, some of these shelters sit too low or are too unstable or cold-feeling for cats.  Wood seems to be the preferred material here.  I built one -- not well, but it sufficed LOL -- based on the Alley Cat Allies design from years back, and have used a FeralVilla or whatever it's called (order out of Indiana) on the covered porch.  Mama cat loved the FeralVilla and did use the alley cat allies one depending on her mood.  I filled it with a small outdoor animal heated pad (which covers just a part of the floor so they can get off the heated part if they wish) and fleece. Fleece holds heat even when wet.  I put a piece of berber carpet in the entry to knock some of the snow off the feet before the cat entered the sleeping area.  The Alley Cat-design house I set up on cement blocks with sandbags around the perimeter to block the cold wind, and I placed a set of garage floor cushion under the house to further insulate it.

        Sometimes scents which aren't apparent to us are unpleasant to cats.  Glues, or detergents, etc.  They may not like the placement -- exposed to the wrong wind direction, exposed to other animals, etc.  If there's too much traffic around they won't use it, either.  I avoid adding catnip because it attracts other cats, and if there's only one entry door the cat could feel trapped.  If there are raccoons around, they often will enter cat shelters and the cat would feel threatened.  Someone once suggested that raccoons wouldn't climb to get in and they set a cat shelter on a picnic table and that solved it.  I'm not convinced that would work all the time.

        I never feed the cats in the shelter I'd like them to sleep in.  My cats don't like to use litter or sleep or eat in the same places.  Food also attracts other animals, even the lingering scent of it.

        I built a three and a half sided box with a slanted lid, up on 1' legs, and used that for food.  when the food was taken in sometimes the cats would use that for shelter on warmer nights.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 8, 2013
          Sorry about your mom. My brain often feels like glue as well!
          Oh those snails! I find them in the storage container at night if I don't pick up the dishes in time and it is wet out. Blech!!!!

          I put out the kitty tube and am not sure if they are using it or not. I've seen them exit the home made shelter on two occasions when they were waiting for me to feed them so I'll give it some time. The area is very wooded and there are ravines and not many flat high spots to try so hopefully they'll use the kitty tube soon. I put it far away from the food on a route I know they use to get to the food through the woods.

          As far as racoons accessing it, it's too cold out right now and they haven't been around so hopefully it is a good season to put the shelter out and I've read that Skunks won't climb more than 18".

          I like the 3 sided box idea for a feeding station. That I need to put legs on 18" or higher because the skunks are always in the dishes when it is warmer out.

          Thanks everyone!