Fw: [WisCats] need feedback on feral shelters

  • Heidi Blank
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2012

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: Heidi Blank <Heidi.Blank@...>
      To: "heidiblank@..." <heidiblank@...>
      Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:32 PM
      Subject: FW: [WisCats] need feedback on feral shelters

      From: Heidi Blank
      Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:28 PM
      To: WisCats@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [WisCats] need feedback on feral shelters

      Stacy:  I don’t have experience with building a house from scratch but I have a colony of 25 that I provide for year round.  I have picked up multiple dog houses from free cycle in my area(goggle the website address).  I have also looked on Craig’s list for low cost dog houses.  I usually use Styrofoam in the bottom (typically from packages) and then straw and then cardboard.  I use the chopped straw from Stein Garden Center.  You can use the emergency blankets which are very inexpensive to also generate their body heat.  I also use sleeping bags as well but I do check the dog houses periodically to make sure they are not wet.  I also use heated water bowls because it seems like the cats really drink more water in the winter.  I would make sure you have a lot of straw so they can nestle in it.  There are some good techniques/directions on housing on ally cat allies.  Make sure the shelter is out of the elements as best as you can.  I live in the city and I am still trying to time the raccoon and possums in my area with retrospect of the food.  Good luck and do the best you can!