Re: [WisCats] Digest Number 39

  • Heidi M. Shields
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      I just wanted to share with you the letter I sent to the editor of the
      LaCrosse Tribune. Thanks to Jessica for the suggestion and I encourage all
      of you to join in.

      Thanks!
      Heidi

      To the Editor,
      I am amazed. I find it impossible to believe that, a year later, we are
      talking about euthanizing the feral cats on Goose Island. Have we learned
      nothing since the uproar over shooting them? KILLING FERAL CATS DOES NOT
      REDUCE THE POPULATION! It's that simple! There is a reason the cats are
      there and that is because there is a food source and shelter. If you remove
      cats and euthanize them, more cats will move in for the same reasons. Also,
      the sizes of the litters will increase according to the space. The only way
      to humanely reduce the population is trap-neuter-return. The cats are
      humanely trapped, taken to a vet to be altered and are returned to the
      island. They are no longer able to reproduce and the population maintains a
      steady decline so as to avoid the vacuum effect that would otherwise bring
      more cats to the area. And as far as feline leukemia goes? I take serious
      issue with Dr. Thompson's assertion that it is "highly infectious" and the
      cat will die within three years. Perhaps he could explain that to my nine
      year old cat, who has had feline leukemia since birth and has never passed
      it onto his 9 housemates. I implore all of you to visit the website for
      Alley Cat Alies, the nation's leading authority in feral cat programs and
      get educated on this issue. Euthanasia is the wrong answer. The big
      picture is that trap-neuter-return is the only way. Thank you.

      "A lot of money will buy you a champion cat, but only kindness will make her
      purr."