RE: [WisCats] wisCats questionaire

  • Heidi Blank
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011

      Thanks for welcoming me to the group!  Michelle I am just overwhelmed with the whole situation.  Just when I think I am done, another mom shows up.  Currently I have 8 kittens that need help.  They are both from separate moms, one that has already been fixed.  The other mom is very crafty and this is her 2nd litter.  2 of her kittens has I believe a upper respiratory cold.  I have been giving them some Orbax antibiotic that I got from the vet and have been mixing it in their wet food.  I work outside the home and have 2 cats indoor and with the size of my group it’s hard to get acclimated with the little ones.  I have 3 traps and that would mean trapping 10 times.  I don’t believe the kittens will be a problem to catch.  The problem is if they are sick, whs will euthanize them and that is not an option for me.  The kittens seem like they are doing better, they are eating and playing.  I really love what I do but I don’t know if you would be able to help me socialize them, if I put them through the TNR program 1st?  I really want to do the best for all.  Emotionally, physically and financially I am really in a tough spot but I will not give up on these cats because we are the only voice they have.  I have surrendered a few cats back to WHS that have been adopted out already.  Now that winter is approaching, I really need some help before the real winter comes!  Your babies are so precious!

      Heidi

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011

        She needs to trap them and get them fixed.  Is there a TNR program in her area?  I know all too well about cats reproducing, I started with 2 just feeding them and now there is almost 30.  People just don’t care about cats is what I found out from just talking with neighbors and people in general about spay and neutering their animals.  Does she the person with the cats have some traps?  I have 3 that I got from another person.  I also need to trap like 13 more cats.  Is this person close to a Humane Society where she could get some traps?

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011
          Heidi, where in Milwaukee are you?

          I think it would be a good idea to get in touch with the wonderful ladies at Second Hand Purrs no-kill shelter.
          What you need is help and assistance to socialize those kittens.

          There are foster homes like mine all over Milwaukee ... but you need to contact a no-kill shelter that the fosters are members of.

          In some cases, if you agree to join their organization as a foster (like I did with Kindred Kitties) you will have the benefit of getting low cost medical care as well as kitten/cat food to feed these cats through the shelter. In addition, the shelter I work with Kindred Kitties, loaned me 2 "kitty condos" or large cages where I can keep the little ones so they don't wander around and get hurt in the house while they grow. The condos also are useful when you have "less than friendly" semi-ferels that you need to work with. They also help with low cost spay-neuter.

          Ask what services are available to you and ask if you can join as a foster so you can get help for these kittens.
          I'm sure they won't be able to take them in, but if you explain that YOU are willing to do what it takes if you can get their assistance, they should be absolutely thrilled to have you in their organization!!

          Second Hand Purrs is a great shelter and I'd recommend working with them. Your best bet is to hook yourself up with a no-kill shelter.

          Tell them that Michelle Laycock with Kindred Kitties in Kenosha referred you.

          :)

          My Blog Banner Service: http://laycockdesigns.com
          Michelle - Southeastern WI - Luckycatstampers
          =^..^=   =^..^=   =^..^=   =^..^=  =^..^=

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011

            I live off of 57th and Silver Spring.  I will contact them but being a foster right now is not an option.  I have 2 cats indoors and with 20 plus outside and working 2 jobs its so difficult.  I am really at a loss of what to do next.  I would love to be able to do that but right now I am not even able to put anything extra on my plate so to speak.  That’s awesome that you can do that and having the shelter provide food and all that comes with.   I will try and see what I can do.  It’s so frustrating at times.  Have a good weekend, this is my work email so I won’t have internet access.

            Heidi

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 22, 2011
              can see if she is interested?  but in the past she has denied even feeding the cats.  (we see the cats go in & out of her garage door (which is propped open with a 5 gal or slightly smaller pail.

              How do I find out if an area has a TNR program?  When I checked at a humane society in the county they only had a farm/urban plan. It was like $4o to $70 to sterilize/vax pet, but then they went back to original setting.  The campground had considered  trappin those that came around, but was not willing/able to invest knowing there are 5-10+ felines.

[...]

              n/a

              8.)  How often do you feed your colony cats? Approximately what time

              of day? n/a

              9.)  Do you have a problem with raccoons or other animals coming to

              eat the cats' food?  (Have you found any useful ways of dealing with

              this?  Please share!)  n/a

              10.)  Do you provide any form of shelter for your colony cats?  If

              so, what?  (new & interesting ideas are always welcome)

              n/a

              11.)  How many kittens (if any!) do you expect to be born in your

              colon(y/ies) this kitten season? n/a

              12.)   How/where have you been getting the cats spay/neutered?

              (private vet, feral cat clinic, Humane Society program, etc.)

              n/a

              13.)  Is “Eartipping” an essential part of your TNR routine?

              n/a

              14.)  How much have you typically been paying for spay/neuter

              & etc.?  What does the "etc." include (testing for leukemia & FIV,

              Rabies & FVRCP vaccination, leukemia vaccination, worming,

              flea treatment, ear mite treatment, eartipping, etc.) for the price?

              ?/ who does $15/spay??

              15.)  Are you paying out of your own pocket for spay/neuter/etc,

              or are you part of a nonprofit that pays for the spay/neuter?

              n/a

              16.)  Do you also keep your own records of each TNR,

              or do you leave that to your vet?

              No I keep records, every cat has a file

              17.)  Where geographically are you located?  (nearest reasonable-

              sized city, state) Milwaukee WI

              18.)  Are you in an urban, rural, or suburban environment?

              semi-urban

              19.)  How long have you been involved in cat rescue?  How long with

              feral cats?

              n/a

              20.)  Are your family and/or friends supportive of your efforts?

              some prefer non-lethal solution

              21.)  Do you have contact with other cat rescue/feral cat TNR people

              in your geographic area for mutual help and support?

               n/a

              22.)  What do you do when a cat in your colon(y/ies) gets sick or

              injured? n/a

              23.)  Although it is very important to stay current with your

              tetanus vaccination, have you ever considered getting a

               “preventative” rabies vaccination (or have gotten this already)?

              have preventive rabies, but have not checked titer in >2yrs.

              24.)  How many "pet cats" do you have (as opposed to your colony

              cats) are they a pure breed, pound kitty, stray, tamed feral.

              personally I own a 17yr old cat.

            • Julie K.
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 24, 2011
                She probably wont admit to having them if she feels at all ashamed or threatened. If you approached her very carefully and made super clear that the program you are suggesting will help the cats, and that they will come back to her (that's how TNR works.. Trap, Neuter, RETURN)... she might soften up. Or if she still denies that she has anything to do with them, you could simply say, "Well I'd really like to help those cats out, would you help me anyway?" Then she doesnt have to take responsibility for them.

                What county are you/she in?

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 24, 2011

                  I would contact the Wisconsin Humane Society 414-animals.  I don’t know what county she lives in but I know on the website you can complete a form to be a community caregiver.  Your friend should close her garage door but denying food is not right either.  If she does nothing the colony will continue to multiply and fast!  The TNR program 0-8 cats is free but your friend will need to either buy some traps at fleet farm or rent them from the Humane Society.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 29, 2011
                    the area neighbor lives in Fond du Lac county.