wisCats questionaire

  • Heidi Blank
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 20, 2011

      1.) How many feral/stray cats are you presently involved in caring for?

      (other than your own pet cats)  17 spayed and Neutered and 13 more to trap TOTAL 30

      2.)  How long have you been caring for the colon(y/ies) you're now

      involved with? 2010

      3.) How many of them are spayed or neutered?  17

      4.) How much experience do you have with TNR and using the humane traps? 1.5 YEARS

      5.)  How many of the cats you're now caring for have been born in

      your colon(y/ies) since you've been feeding them?  20

      6.)  What do you feed your colony cats, and do you also provide fresh water?  Yes, always

      7.)  Where do you usually get your cat food?  Do you pay full price,

      or do you get a price break or donated cat food?

       Pet Supplies Plus, Full price unless I have a coupon from the paper.  No price break

      8.)  How often do you feed your colony cats? Approximately what time

      of day? 2X A DAY Morning 630am and the evening around 530

      9.)  Do you have a problem with raccoons or other animals coming to

      eat the cats' food?  (Have you found any useful ways of dealing with

      this?  Please share!)  Yes, so I take the food at 830-9.

      10.)  Do you provide any form of shelter for your colony cats?  If

      so, what?  (new & interesting ideas are always welcome)

      I have 6 dog houses modified to cat houses

      11.)  How many kittens (if any!) do you expect to be born in your

      colon(y/ies) this kitten season? I have 8 already hopefully none after this batch

      12.)   How/where have you been getting the cats spay/neutered?

      (private vet, feral cat clinic, Humane Society program, etc.)

      WHS TNR program

      13.)  Is “Eartipping” an essential part of your TNR routine?

      Yes per WHS guidelines, done automatically

      14.)  How much have you typically been paying for spay/neuter

      & etc.?  What does the "etc." include (testing for leukemia & FIV,

      Rabies & FVRCP vaccination, leukemia vaccination, worming,

      flea treatment, ear mite treatment, eartipping, etc.) for the price?

      10 dollars going up to 15 Spay/Neuter Rabies, Micro chip and 1st vaccine

      15.)  Are you paying out of your own pocket for spay/neuter/etc,

      or are you part of a nonprofit that pays for the spay/neuter?

      No But I have vetted some of the social cats

      16.)  Do you also keep your own records of each TNR,

      or do you leave that to your vet?

      No I keep records, every cat has a file

      17.)  Where geographically are you located?  (nearest reasonable-

      sized city, state) Milwaukee WI

      18.)  Are you in an urban, rural, or suburban environment?

      Urban

      19.)  How long have you been involved in cat rescue?  How long with

      feral cats?

       Never been involved in rescue so to speak but feral cats 1.5 years

      20.)  Are your family and/or friends supportive of your efforts?

      Some but since the colony is growing they are getting more resistant

      21.)  Do you have contact with other cat rescue/feral cat TNR people

      in your geographic area for mutual help and support?

       Yes I have one caregiver who is my backbone with support in all ways

      22.)  What do you do when a cat in your colon(y/ies) gets sick or

      injured? Problem area, don’t know cost is an issue so the ones I can afford to vet and can handle I take them to my own personal vet if able.

      23.)  Although it is very important to stay current with your

      tetanus vaccination, have you ever considered getting a

       “preventative” rabies vaccination (or have gotten this already)?

      I would love to get all vaccinated and keep current, not possible at this time

      24.)  How many "pet cats" do you have (as opposed to your colony

      cats) are they a pure breed, pound kitty, stray, tamed feral.

      In other words, what’s your kitties’ story? When I moved in to my new house, I had discovered a mom and her babies living under the deck and when I called whs they referred me to MADAC who came and euthanized all!  After that I knew I had to be an advocate for all feral cats.  I have several tamed feral some that I have been able to get adopted.

    • Angela Patchett
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 20, 2011

        my story is:
        there is a group of cats that person is feeding from her garage.  when asked she says they are not here cats.  the cats are multiplying. her property is next to a campground facility.  the concern is the cat which have had 2 or 3 litters this year, are causing problems for the campers. Campers concerned of the odor of cat urine, etc at their sites.

        Ideal goal would be to relocate group.  Since they are becoming a problem due to their odor, for the campers.

        1.) How many feral/stray cats are you presently involved in caring for?

        (other than your own pet cats)  0

        2.)  How long have you been caring for the colon(y/ies) you're now

        involved with?

        3.) How many of them are spayed or neutered? none that i'm aware of

        4.) How much experience do you have with TNR and using the humane traps? bought trap, have not used it

        5.)  How many of the cats you're now caring for have been born in

        your colon(y/ies) since you've been feeding them?  not feeding them

        6.)  What do you feed your colony cats, and do you also provide fresh water?  n/a

        7.)  Where do you usually get your cat food?  Do you pay full price,

        or do you get a price break or donated cat food?

        n/a

        8.)  How often do you feed your colony cats? Approximately what time

        of day? n/a

        9.)  Do you have a problem with raccoons or other animals coming to

        eat the cats' food?  (Have you found any useful ways of dealing with

        this?  Please share!)  n/a

        10.)  Do you provide any form of shelter for your colony cats?  If

        so, what?  (new & interesting ideas are always welcome)

        n/a

        11.)  How many kittens (if any!) do you expect to be born in your

        colon(y/ies) this kitten season? n/a

        12.)   How/where have you been getting the cats spay/neutered?

        (private vet, feral cat clinic, Humane Society program, etc.)

        n/a

        13.)  Is “Eartipping” an essential part of your TNR routine?

        n/a

        14.)  How much have you typically been paying for spay/neuter

        & etc.?  What does the "etc." include (testing for leukemia & FIV,

        Rabies & FVRCP vaccination, leukemia vaccination, worming,

        flea treatment, ear mite treatment, eartipping, etc.) for the price?

        ?/ who does $15/spay??

        15.)  Are you paying out of your own pocket for spay/neuter/etc,

        or are you part of a nonprofit that pays for the spay/neuter?

        n/a

        16.)  Do you also keep your own records of each TNR,

        or do you leave that to your vet?

        No I keep records, every cat has a file

        17.)  Where geographically are you located?  (nearest reasonable-

        sized city, state) Milwaukee WI

        18.)  Are you in an urban, rural, or suburban environment?

        semi-urban

        19.)  How long have you been involved in cat rescue?  How long with

        feral cats?

        n/a

        20.)  Are your family and/or friends supportive of your efforts?

        some prefer non-lethal solution

        21.)  Do you have contact with other cat rescue/feral cat TNR people

        in your geographic area for mutual help and support?

         n/a

        22.)  What do you do when a cat in your colon(y/ies) gets sick or

        injured? n/a

        23.)  Although it is very important to stay current with your

        tetanus vaccination, have you ever considered getting a

         “preventative” rabies vaccination (or have gotten this already)?

        have preventive rabies, but have not checked titer in >2yrs.

        24.)  How many "pet cats" do you have (as opposed to your colony

        cats) are they a pure breed, pound kitty, stray, tamed feral.

        personally I own a 17yr old cat.

      • Laycock Designs
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 20, 2011
          Is that person (or you) TNR those cats? Take them to a low cost spay/neuter facility and then work with a no-kill shelter to find a farm for them to live on. I'm with Kindred Kitties in Kenosha and for situations such as this, we have various farms we've relocated them to.

          My Blog Banner Service: http://laycockdesigns.com
          Michelle - Southeastern WI - Luckycatstampers
          =^..^=   =^..^=   =^..^=   =^..^=  =^..^=
          "They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 20, 2011
            Welcome Heidi. You must be new here. So glad you are an advocate for ferels.

            My name is Michelle Laycock and I'm a foster mom for Kindred Kitties in Kenosha.
            I personally don't actually do the TNR work myself, other Kindred Kitties volunteers do that. However, my role in the organization is to take in and socialize the children born to ferels that our org encounters while doing TNR. So basically, I take in their baby kittens and raise them properly so they are adoptable. I work with TNR people by offering up my home, love, and care.

            Right now I have in my house 10 foster cats:

            - Mama Annabelle, came to us as stray and pregnant, had her kittens here in our house and we got her spayed. She has become "too nice" of a cat to put back outside, yet she still has some of those "outdoor" instincts and she doesn't let us touch her. Annabelle's babies got adopted at Petco this past summer. Sweet cat, but needs more socializing.

            - Baby Jazz, 2yrs tortie

            - Flip, Tip and Nip, 3 sisters, kittens born to a ferel mom who was a TNR through Kindred Kitties. These kittens came to us as semi-ferels and we've worked with them for several months... they are now fully trained to be indoors.

            - 4 small kittens, 8 wks, Gavin, Stacey, Nessa, and Smithy, born to a stray, TNR mom also. They will go up for adoption at Petco Kenosha on Oct. 31
            - Hunter, large overweight adult cat - has been a Kindred Kitty for 2 years.

            (and 5 of our own)

            Please let me know if I can help you in any way with advice and such. I've been a foster mom for 4 years and have fostered and found homes for over 300 cats and kittens.

            Glad you are here Heidi!
            :)

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011

              Thanks for welcoming me to the group!  Michelle I am just overwhelmed with the whole situation.  Just when I think I am done, another mom shows up.  Currently I have 8 kittens that need help.  They are both from separate moms, one that has already been fixed.  The other mom is very crafty and this is her 2nd litter.  2 of her kittens has I believe a upper respiratory cold.  I have been giving them some Orbax antibiotic that I got from the vet and have been mixing it in their wet food.  I work outside the home and have 2 cats indoor and with the size of my group it’s hard to get acclimated with the little ones.  I have 3 traps and that would mean trapping 10 times.  I don’t believe the kittens will be a problem to catch.  The problem is if they are sick, whs will euthanize them and that is not an option for me.  The kittens seem like they are doing better, they are eating and playing.  I really love what I do but I don’t know if you would be able to help me socialize them, if I put them through the TNR program 1st?  I really want to do the best for all.  Emotionally, physically and financially I am really in a tough spot but I will not give up on these cats because we are the only voice they have.  I have surrendered a few cats back to WHS that have been adopted out already.  Now that winter is approaching, I really need some help before the real winter comes!  Your babies are so precious!

              Heidi

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011

                She needs to trap them and get them fixed.  Is there a TNR program in her area?  I know all too well about cats reproducing, I started with 2 just feeding them and now there is almost 30.  People just don’t care about cats is what I found out from just talking with neighbors and people in general about spay and neutering their animals.  Does she the person with the cats have some traps?  I have 3 that I got from another person.  I also need to trap like 13 more cats.  Is this person close to a Humane Society where she could get some traps?

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011
                  Heidi, where in Milwaukee are you?

                  I think it would be a good idea to get in touch with the wonderful ladies at Second Hand Purrs no-kill shelter.
                  What you need is help and assistance to socialize those kittens.

                  There are foster homes like mine all over Milwaukee ... but you need to contact a no-kill shelter that the fosters are members of.

                  In some cases, if you agree to join their organization as a foster (like I did with Kindred Kitties) you will have the benefit of getting low cost medical care as well as kitten/cat food to feed these cats through the shelter. In addition, the shelter I work with Kindred Kitties, loaned me 2 "kitty condos" or large cages where I can keep the little ones so they don't wander around and get hurt in the house while they grow. The condos also are useful when you have "less than friendly" semi-ferels that you need to work with. They also help with low cost spay-neuter.

                  Ask what services are available to you and ask if you can join as a foster so you can get help for these kittens.
                  I'm sure they won't be able to take them in, but if you explain that YOU are willing to do what it takes if you can get their assistance, they should be absolutely thrilled to have you in their organization!!

                  Second Hand Purrs is a great shelter and I'd recommend working with them. Your best bet is to hook yourself up with a no-kill shelter.

                  Tell them that Michelle Laycock with Kindred Kitties in Kenosha referred you.

                  :)

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011

                    I live off of 57th and Silver Spring.  I will contact them but being a foster right now is not an option.  I have 2 cats indoors and with 20 plus outside and working 2 jobs its so difficult.  I am really at a loss of what to do next.  I would love to be able to do that but right now I am not even able to put anything extra on my plate so to speak.  That’s awesome that you can do that and having the shelter provide food and all that comes with.   I will try and see what I can do.  It’s so frustrating at times.  Have a good weekend, this is my work email so I won’t have internet access.

                    Heidi

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 22, 2011
                      can see if she is interested?  but in the past she has denied even feeding the cats.  (we see the cats go in & out of her garage door (which is propped open with a 5 gal or slightly smaller pail.

                      How do I find out if an area has a TNR program?  When I checked at a humane society in the county they only had a farm/urban plan. It was like $4o to $70 to sterilize/vax pet, but then they went back to original setting.  The campground had considered  trappin those that came around, but was not willing/able to invest knowing there are 5-10+ felines.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 24, 2011
                        She probably wont admit to having them if she feels at all ashamed or threatened. If you approached her very carefully and made super clear that the program you are suggesting will help the cats, and that they will come back to her (that's how TNR works.. Trap, Neuter, RETURN)... she might soften up. Or if she still denies that she has anything to do with them, you could simply say, "Well I'd really like to help those cats out, would you help me anyway?" Then she doesnt have to take responsibility for them.

                        What county are you/she in?

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 24, 2011

                          I would contact the Wisconsin Humane Society 414-animals.  I don’t know what county she lives in but I know on the website you can complete a form to be a community caregiver.  Your friend should close her garage door but denying food is not right either.  If she does nothing the colony will continue to multiply and fast!  The TNR program 0-8 cats is free but your friend will need to either buy some traps at fleet farm or rent them from the Humane Society.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 29, 2011
                            the area neighbor lives in Fond du Lac county.