Purebred Rescue Efforts

  • MARIE GLOVER
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010
      Just getting the word out there that we've rescued 43 cats from a former breeder in LaCrosse, WI.  Most are Selkirk Rexes; there are some Persians and Bengals.  13 are in foster care and some rescues are helping us out, but we still have 15 cats that we need to place sooner than later.

      None of the cats were spayed/neutered but we're working on that (16 have been done so far).  Several have the Herpes Virus, which we're treating with expensive eye drops and Lysine, almost all of them suffer from constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, and yeast in the ears, but it's getting better.  Some are shy but most are friendly and starved for attention.  A couple of cats have had eye flap surgery in an effort to save their eyes which are severely damaged from the Herpes.  One cat had severe dental problems, had many teeth removed and was diagnosed with stomatitis.  She is recovering as well as can be expected.

      These cats were living in horrid conditions and the ammonia was so strong in the house that it was literally unbearable.  Most of the cats were overcrowded in cages with up to 12" of old feces, several inches of mold and then more feces.  Now the cats are sprawling in larger cages in a garage with fresh air during cooler hours and makeshift air conditioning during the humid weather.  But it isn't like having a home.

      Please let us know if you:

      Can take any of the cats;
      Can recommend other trustworthy rescues;
      Help us monetarily to help cover vet bills;
      Help transport cats from LaCrosse, WI to Minneapolis, MN area;
      Give us ideas on how to treat the cats.

      Please spread the word.  Thank you!

      Marie Glover, Mayor of Tabby Town and
      Field Representative for Life's Abundance Pet Food
      Could you be killing your dog or cat?
      Go to our website below to learn about
      our pet food with NO BY-PRODUCTS!
      Made from ALL NATURAL, NUTRITIOUS, HEALTHY INGREDIENTS.

      Tabby Town USA, Inc.
      No-Kill, Non-Profit Cat Rescue
      S1695B Stenslien Lane, Westby, WI  54667
      (608) 634-4614
      www.tabbytownusa.org

      I rescue cats...my work is never done and my home is never quiet.
      My wallet is always empty, but my heart is always full.
      Until there are none, rescue one...
                           (\
                            /)
                 ^,,^    (\
              =  ~  =   ))
             (((      )))
    • animalrescuerscare@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010
            This is absolutely horrible!   I am sooo glad you were able to rescue these poor things from such a horid existance!!

           I wish I COULD help.... however I myself already have a houseful and still have 4 in the garage I need to find homes for.    I am curious though.   What are you using as a makeshift air conditioning.    I have just been using a large fan.   Does okay, but not perfect.

          Dawn

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010
          wow.
          how horrible.
          I will spread the word to see if I can get help for you.

          Its been a terribly slow year so far for adoptions. I've got two litters of kittens, one mama and a stomititis kitty that I'm fostering. In a normal year, the'd be all adopted by now, the they are shortly going to be entering their teen years and still no takers.
          The smallest litter is now getting too old/large to stay in a kitty condo and pretty soon I'm gonna have to figure out how to reorganize the cats in our house to accomadate their older age. This is so frustrating.
          If only we could get some of these cats adopted out, I can help others.
          :(

          My Blog Banner Service: http://laycockdesigns.com
          Michelle - Southeastern WI - Luckycatstampers
          =^..^=   =^..^=   =^..^=   =^..^=
          "They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010
            Dawn, I've just been using a fan as well. For the mama and kits that are in my garage. I keep the door of the garage open during the day (kits are in kitty condo) and in the evening as well so that the cool evening air can be trapped in the garage. It keeps the garage cooler in the morning and in the afternoon I open the door again when it starts getting hot.
            But really, it isn't any cooler in the house because I don't have air conditioning. So even the house cats are hot.
            We just use fans everywhere.
            :)

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2010
                  Yea, that's what I do....  it's a large 18" fan, I just let it run constantly on 2nd speed.   Says fairly cool enough.   And keeps a breeze going.

                We do what we can!  :O)      Was really good of you to help with those poor kitties!   Ahhhh, some people can just be so maddeningly ignorant, greedy, stupid......   breeding cats!!!  geeez

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 5, 2010
                  Shelter from the Storm's Spay Me clinic also provides non-spay/neuter vet services to rescues:  http://www.spayme.com  or 608-770-4879

                  And have you contacted Specialty Purebred Cat Rescue?

                  Community Cat

                  PO BOX 447

                  Whitewater WI 53190

                  608-201-3241

                  http://www.commcat.org

                  Working to end feline overpopulation in our area