New to the group looking for a bit of information

  • drgnflybelle
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 26, 2010
      Hi I am new to the group so I will just give you a quick back story so you understand the situation then ask my questions. I live in Manitowoc wisconsin. We moved to a farm 2 years ago, shortly after we moved here some starving cats showed up. We found the original caretaker, her husband had a stroke around the time we moved her plus a family of raccoons moved into steal her cat food. So she had stopped feeding them till the coons left, half the cats stayed here with us the other half went back home after a couple of months. She has now been diagnosed with cancer and has stopped feeding the cats again because she can't financially, we jumped from about 10 cats to 30. She does not mind if we do TNR.
      I have found Cats anonymous in GreenBay, They can be flexible on their price cause 30 cats X $50 a piece is out of our price range. That tends to be the standard price for that here correct? However there is a 4-5 month waiting list.
      I was just curious if there are possibly more options that I have missed in my research, and if there are any places I can get live traps to lease/borrow/use/rent? Cats anonymous does have some we can use but its $50 deposit for each one and it is over an hour away from us, I would need the help of a family member to transport it all so asking them to do that many trips with me might be stretching their generosity. I think in total we would be going there and back...8 trips?
      So I am open to suggestions thanks in advance.
    • Laycock Designs
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 26, 2010
        hmmm.. maybe Kindred Kitties could help.
        Except we are in Kenosha (quite a ways from Manitowoc)

        Kindred Kitties spay-neuter coordinator is on this list. Her name is Karen Podella Reiman.
        Maybe she will respond.

        But we charge about the same. But I don't know if we have a waiting list. I don't think we have a waiting list.

        My Blog Banner Service: http://laycockdesigns.com
        Michelle - Southeastern WI - Luckycatstampers
        =^..^=   =^..^=   =^..^=   =^..^=
        "They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod

[...]

      • Karen or Darren
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 26, 2010
          There is Spay Me in Madison area (Sun Prairie now) that does low cost Spay/Neuter for feral/outdoor/barn cats for $35 each and if you are a Dane County Resident there is no charge. You can check out Spay Me's info at http://www.spayme.com and I think there are a couple people on this list that work with TNR that might offer transportation to Spay Me as well but not positive.

          Hope this helps!
          Karen
          Kindred Kitties volunteer
          A spay/neuter coordinator for West of I 94

          Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 6:49 PM
          Subject: [WisCats] New to the group looking for a bit of information

[...]

          "LIVING WITH INVISIBLE ILLNESS IS A ROLLER
          COASTER! HELP A FRIEND HOLD ON!"
          http://www.InvisibleIllness.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 26, 2010
            If she's in Manitowoc, I don't think she's going to qualify for Dane
            County discounts!

            Karen or Darren wrote:

            > There is Spay Me in Madison area (Sun Prairie now) that does low cost
            > Spay/Neuter for feral/outdoor/barn cats for $35 each and if you are a
            > Dane County Resident there is no charge. You can check out Spay Me's
            > info at http://www.spayme.com <http://www.spayme.com> and I think
            > there are a couple people on this list that work with TNR that might
            > offer transportation to Spay Me as well but not positive.
            > Hope this helps!
            > Karen
            > Kindred Kitties volunteer
            > A spay/neuter coordinator for West of I 94

          • Karen or Darren
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 26, 2010
              no, but just mentioning it...

              > If she's in Manitowoc, I don't think she's going to qualify for Dane
              > County discounts!
              >
              > Karen or Darren wrote:
              >>
              >> There is Spay Me in Madison area (Sun Prairie now) that does low cost
              >> Spay/Neuter for feral/outdoor/barn cats for $35 each and if you are a
              >> Dane County Resident there is no charge. You can check out Spay Me's
              >> info at http://www.spayme.com <http://www.spayme.com> and I think
              >> there are a couple people on this list that work with TNR that might
              >> offer transportation to Spay Me as well but not positive.
              >> Hope this helps!
              >> Karen
              >> Kindred Kitties volunteer
              >> A spay/neuter coordinator for West of I 94

            • Vicki Becker
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 27, 2010
                I am on the board of Cats Anonymous and do all the spay/neuter
                appointment
                scheduling. Please contact me directly and I'll try to help
                you as much as I can. My email is itnrcats@...

                Vicki Becker
                TNR Coordinator
                Cats Anonymous,Inc
              • Community Cat
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 27, 2010
                  Hi!
                  You could also try the Spay Wisconsin hotline at 877-510-7387.  There may be someone closer to you too!
                  Tammy

                  Community Cat
                  PO BOX 447
                  Whitewater WI 53190
                  608-201-3241

                  Working to end feline overpopulation in our area

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 27, 2010
                        Hi, I have some info. for you that may be helpful.  You can go onto www.alleycat.org/response where anyone anywhere can search for a list of Feral Friends Network members in their area.  OR the Sheboygan area has a place called Two Left Paws Sanctuary. Info@... Address: PO Box 153, Sheboygan, WI 53082-0153. (920)331-0100 OR there is a place called Saving Paws in Appleton, WI.  I don't have an address or email on them.  Hope this may help.  Tammy in New Berlin, WI

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 28, 2010
                          Thanks everyone for all the responses, I have had limited success in posting on groups before so it is really wonderful that so many of you took the time to respond to me.
                          I have been discussing TNR with my parents for awhile unfortunately things had come up (layoffs, broken cars, family in hospital ect, you know murphy's law) so TNR was still being researched but not on the front burner. My mom is all for TNR my dad on the other hand doesn't understand why he should pay to get cats spayed/neutered when they aren't ours they were someone elses. I have had many long discussions with him about it and done research about it so basically I think he is going along with some of what I say just to stop my research from coming at him.
                          And thank you so much for the offer of helping transport! That is really very kind. We were sitting here trying to figure out how we would get all those traps in the car. It isn't always easy for my dad to accept help but I think we really do need it.
                          I have called and emailed listings that tell you which programs are in your area, as well as individual rescues and I have checked the alley cat website. Unfortunately we seem to be in an empty area, most places are 40min to hours away. There really is almost nothing out here, we do have a horse and dog only rescues nearby though. That does not quite help the situation. We live right outside of Kiel I don't know if any of you know where that is.
                          I had discussed maybe taking them out of state because some states have cheaper programs but with the amount it would cost to transport everyone out of state, well we basically would be spending the same amount of money anyways.
                          I think I am just going into a little bit of a panic mode. We weren't expecting all these cats to just show up. I really want to do TNR and I am afraid if we wait to long we will have more cats here then we can handle. I have been forbidden from bringing any more cats in the house -.-. I have already adopted 4 :( one I sadly lost because she was on medication that ultimately killed her liver :(. We changed vets halfway through the treatment and our second vet is absolutely wonderful and we will stick with from now on. All the kittens that I have been able to socialize have found wonderful homes with people we know and trust or with friends of people we know and trust. Unfortunately we have reached the end of the list of people we know who can have cats.
                          So again thank you all so much and if you think of anything else let me know. Even if its just a way to get my dad more on board! I am just trying not to get to anxious about it. I guess my other fear is that the lady might start feeding the cats again up the road and they won't be down here for me to trap them and then in a few months the problem will start over again. She is a very sweet lady on the older side, and I understand she is going through a lot at home. But something does need to get done. So again THANK YOU ALL. I will keep you updated on the situation.
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 28, 2010
                            If you have offers for transport in order to get the cats TNR'd, I'd
                            jump on it. And you mention "places" being "40 mins to hours away."
                            Heck, 40 minutes or even a hour or so is nothing! Well worth it. I am in
                            Spring Green & we participate in montly spayathons in Madison & in
                            March, we had a woman bring 19 cats in from Prairie due Chien. It took
                            her 2 hours to get to Madison with all those cats in crates in her car.
                            The same woman subsequently brought 24 kittens to Madison for adoption.
                            If the resource is there, get there by hook or by crook & if you've got
                            transport help, that's terrific!

                            Pam in Spring Green

                            drgnflybelle wrote:

> [...]
                            > wonderful and we will stick with from now on. All the kittens that I
                            > have been able to socialize have found wonderful homes with people we
                            > know and trust or with friends of people we know and trust.
                            > Unfortunately we have reached the end of the list of people we know
                            > who can have cats.
                            > So again thank you all so much and if you think of anything else let
                            > me know. Even if its just a way to get my dad more on board! I am just
                            > trying not to get to anxious about it. I guess my other fear is that
                            > the lady might start feeding the cats again up the road and they won't
                            > be down here for me to trap them and then in a few months the problem
                            > will start over again. She is a very sweet lady on the older side, and
                            > I understand she is going through a lot at home. But something does
                            > need to get done. So again THANK YOU ALL. I will keep you updated on

                          • Laycock Designs
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 28, 2010
                              I have to agree with Pam on this one.
                              40 minutes to hours away....

                              I used to drive 45 minutes to get to work in the morning and 45
                              minutes to get home Every Day and I did this for 13 years!!!

                              In fact, every Saturday and Sunday I drive a car full of foster
                              kitties to Kenosha Petco in the morning and then pick them up at 5pm.
                              It's a 45 minute drive down there and another 45 back.

                              I don't even blink an eye about it.

                              Take advantage of that offer for transportation and take action!!
                              :)

                              My Blog Banner Service: http://laycockdesigns.com
                              Michelle - Southeastern WI - Luckycatstampers
                              http://www.michellelaycock.stampinup.net