portable air conditioner

  • Denise Marg
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
      Cat fanciers,

      Dawn has made numerous pleas for help getting four cats adopted that she is housing in a garage and isn't having any luck.  If they go to a shelter they will likely be euthanized...she is in need of a portable air conditioner to put in the garage to give the four cats comfort in the heat...does anyone have one to donate to her or is anyone willing to help Dawn towards the $250 she needs to purchase one?   Dawn can be reached at the following email address:     animalrescuerscare@...

      If we each chipped in a small amount we could help Dawn help these four darling cats as they await finding their forever home...

      Thanks,
      Denise

    • Laycock Designs
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
        Great idea.
        I wish I could help. But I just learned yesterday that one of my cats has Pemphigus and I paid a vet over $100 last month for his treatment and today I need to come up with over $400 for biopsy and diagnosis, first rounds of treatment, and honestly, I don't know where in the budget all this money will come from.
        But I love him so much and he needs to be treated. So I'm having a financial shock right now.
        :(
        My Blog Banner Service: http://laycockdesigns.com
        Michelle - Southeastern WI - Luckycatstampers
        =^..^=   =^..^=   =^..^=   =^..^=
        "They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod

        On Jun 18, 2010, at 12:21 PM, Denise Marg wrote:

        Cat fanciers,

        Dawn has made numerous pleas for help getting four cats adopted that she is housing in a garage and isn't having any luck.  If they go to a shelter they will likely be euthanized.. .she is in need of a portable air conditioner to put in the garage to give the four cats comfort in the heat...does anyone have one to donate to her or is anyone willing to help Dawn towards the $250 she needs to purchase one?   Dawn can be reached at the following email address:     animalrescuerscare@ gmail.com

      • kmkbroker@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
          Have you checked with Habitat Restore in your area?

          .
        • animalrescuerscare@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
               Awwww,  Denise you are such a sweetheart!   Thanks for posting this for me :O)

               I've got a fan out there right now, but as you can imagine.  Whatever the temp is outside, it's 10 or more in that garage.   The fan helps but the air is heavy and warm.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
                Hi Michelle,   would these be one of the new kitties you recently got?

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
                no, its one of my own kitties that was a foster last year but we kept him. He's the sweetest kitty... He's half Egyptian Mau and he was found as a 5 week old kitten alone and homeless on a street in Zion, IL. We fostered him and raised him and he's my baby.
                Last month I noticed one night he was limping and took him to the vet. The vet gave him antibiotics and treated his paw wound.

                It never completely healed.

                Last night my husband and I decided to check it again to see if he needs to go back to the vet and we were shocked that THREE of his paws now have sores all over them and a bit on his nose on left side...

                Took him to the vet this morning and she strongly suspects Pemphigus and will take him back this afternoon so the vet can biopsy him and it will be an uphill battle from here. I found some information about it on the web and it looks like a manageable disease. But the expense is not what I need right now and kitty certainly doesn't deserve this.

                :(

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010

                  Didn't think I'd be glad to just be treating ear mites. Hope the little guy gets better!

                  As far as the A/C unit, I may have one but it is in Edgerton, WI. Have you considered trying other sources for help like Craigslist and the multitude of Barter websites out there? I know this is time sensitive but you never know. A little typing and some copying and pasting might yield something, maybe more than expected, who knows?

                  Free Short URL Service:

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
                    What about cooling mats?
                    http://cozywinters.com/pets/cooling-pet-beds.html

                    Not sure about the garage door, but mine has small "permanent" windows up high, which I have now figured out I can remove by unscrewing 8 screws. I bought a window screen frame kit, screen, and a spline tool, so I can make a screen to replace the windows for the summer. So far the summer was cool around here, but I think that is ending. I have 1 FeLV positive kitty out there, "Milkdud". So far he has done fine laying on the cold cement when it gets too hot (sounds bad, but he rolls around on it with a happy look...), and then at night the cool temps have brought greater relief. But now I am working on a couple of things for the hotter temps to come, like what I have already mentioned. Other things I am considering involve cutting holes and cost a lot more, like the air conditioner idea, or just putting a pet door in the side, with an outdoor shaded enclosure. Maybe a kiddie (or doggie) pool lined with bags of ice (not filled with water).

                    BTW, he stayed warm this winter in 2 heated beds, a kitty-sized sleeping bag in case he got too warm, a crate lined with faux fleece, a long van seat draped with a blanket, and a pop-open camp chair (his favorite judging by the amount of hair it accumulates!) He has a heated water bowl and of course some toys also. Two litter boxes. Three or four days a week, he gets an hour of lap time and hand rasslin' time. I put on painter's Tyvek coveralls and string gloves, and use antibacterial wipes before going back in the house to the other cats. I leave my boots in the quarantine buffer, which consists of 3 dog kennel panels (with gate), which surrounds the entrance door to the house. The cats in the house are vaccinated against FeLV. For briefer feeding and litter-scooping visits, I skip the coveralls.

                    So far Milkdud seems happy and hasn't had any health problems, other than getting fat! I am scheduling a wellness checkup at the end of this month, and plan on every 6 months. My vet said the average he's seen for FeLV+ cats is 2 or 3 good years, but is highly variable. I always worry about Milkdud being bored or lonesome, and try to come up with new things for him. Last week, I put a ladder next to the garage door, so he can climb up and look out the window. I'm not sure if he's tried it yet.

                    Marsha

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
                            Hi Marsha,

                            Those are great ideas... will check into the cooling mats.    No windows however.  That's the main problem.

                            Just a thought here for Milkdud.   Did you ever consider getting another FeLV positive cat.  I know there are places that rescue them and put them up for adoption to people willing to take them.   That way he'd have a playmate.

                      Dawn

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 18, 2010
                        In the beginning, I waited, just in case Milkdud would test negative later. But 3 months later, an IFA confirmed his status. My concerns about taking in another are: 1) I already have 13 cats; 2) what if Milkdud and the newcomer hate each other; 3) the new cat shouldn't be one that lived indoors all its life; 4) it should done during a temperate time, to give the newcomer time to adjust (ie., spring or fall); 5) future vet bills. Those bills will come, and it was already going to be hard. I had also thought that I might catch another relative of his that might test positive. But I got all the regular visitors to my apartment dumpster. Now there is only the occasional visitor, which I haven't seen (only pawprints in the snow), so could be a cat with a home rather than a feral or stray. I no longer put out food, since after Milkdud it only attracted skunks, raccoons, and possums, with the occasional bird munching on some kibble! Plus my stuff will be completely out of the apartment by the end of summer, and I won't be there anymore. (I already live at the house, with the cats.)

                        Marsha

                        > Just a thought here for Milkdud. Did you ever consider getting another FeLV positive cat. I know there are places that rescue them and put them up for adoption to people willing to take them. That way he'd have a playmate.
                        >
                        > Dawn
                      • Elspeth O Vanin
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 19, 2010
                          Marsha,

                          If you decide to adopt another FeLV cat so Milkdud won't be alone, I know of three FeLV cats in need of a home ASAP.  I rescued two of them and they are both males.  One is about 8 to 10 months old and the other is a year old.  They are both all black.  They are very energetic and love to play. Very sweet cats.  The other cat is also a male - age- I am guessing at least 4 or 5 years old - I doubt he is older than 7.  He loves affection from people and loves attention. He is also black with some white coloring.  If you are interested, email me.

                          Elspeth