Re: [WisCats] Re: Info - Winter housing for cats

  • Ebru1331@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
      i recentally built a cat house for a feral who has taken up residence on my deck.  i lined it with hay and covered it with blankets and towels on the outside.  i want to  caulk along the outsides to seal the drafty areas.  she should have a pretty nice place to call home.  now if anyone has any sugg on how to get her to use it let me know.  i tried food and she pulled it out and ate on the top of the house.  also several times i have caught her sleeping on top rather than in it.  my e mail is ebru1331 @....  look forward to your sugg.  thanks
    • Schneider, Laurie S
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
        Message
        I have done the same for number of year; not sure if used during nites by the cats, but could tell in Spring it was used some, by indentations in the bedding.  I have had to satisfy myself that at the least, they had a warmer, drier place to come into, to have the food - if they chose to not spend other time, sleeping time in there, that must mean they have a better place elsewhere for that sleeping activity.  As long as they keep coming by to eat, hopefully they are doing fine.  Hope this helps,

        Laurie Schneider
        Paul Schlosser Agency 379-034
        502 North Bridge St
        Chippewa Falls, WI  54729
        715.723.3293  ~  Phone
        715.720.4974  ~  Fax

        i recentally built a cat house for a feral who has taken up residence on my deck.  i lined it with hay and covered it with blankets and towels on the outside.  i want to  caulk along the outsides to seal the drafty areas.  she should have a pretty nice place to call home.  now if anyone has any sugg on how to get her to use it let me know.  i tried food and she pulled it out and ate on the top of the house.  also several times i have caught her sleeping on top rather than in it.  my e mail is ebru1331 @....  look forward to your sugg.  thanks
        If you do not want to receive future unsolicited commercial email advertisements or promotions from American Family Insurance you may opt-out by clicking here
        Note: After opting-out, you may receive emails that you have specifically requested from American Family. If you are a current American Family customer, you may still receive transactional emails regarding your existing policies or accounts with American Family. American Family Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates utilize the PossibleNow DNESolution to administer this email opt-out process.
      • Paul T. O'Leary
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
          Well, she'll use it when she needs it. If she's comfy outside the house, that's fine. Who knows, if it's really small and tight in there, it may get too hot for her. I wouldn't worry about minor draifts / air leaks. What counts is that it blocks the major wind, and is small enough that she warms the space with her own body heat.

          'Bout the only other thing that would deter her from using it would be another animal taking it over. Not sure what you can do about that.

          > From: Ebru1331@...
          >
          > i recentally built a cat house for a feral who has taken up residence on my
          > deck. i lined it with hay and covered it with blankets and towels on the
          > outside. i want to caulk along the outsides to seal the drafty areas. she
          > should have a pretty nice place to call home. now if anyone has any sugg on how
          > to get her to use it let me know. i tried food and she pulled it out and
          > ate on the top of the house. also several times i have caught her sleeping on
          > top rather than in it. my e mail is ebru1331 @.... look forward to your
          > sugg. thanks

          Paul T. O'Leary
          Desktop Insurgent
          Madison, WI USA
        • Ted O'Donnell
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005

            She may feel it s a potential trap and just be grateful for the food.  Realistically, she’s a wild animal like any other – even if she may have a “tame side”.  I’m guessing the cozier it looked, the more skeptical she’d get.  How many exits are there?