Re: Info - Winter housing for cats

  • TommyRay
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2005
      I enjoyed reading about the ideas on winter housing. I just made a
      box for the back of my truck to haul items in using some wood lying
      about and some left over house siding. It would be SO easy to create
      such housing from such scraps.

      Considering this, I also wonder if a friend who builds houses would
      be able to supply some contributary materials with which to create
      some of these homes. Insulation included, of course, with easy access
      for cleaning and bedding change. Would be SO much cheaper in cost yet
      more elaborate in design and construction, plus I would HAVE to add a
      window, cats LOVE windows, after all.

      Perhaps contacting construction companies and some handymen would be
      a good route to take. Just an idea.

      -Tom

      TomCat Freeware:
      ---------------
      www.purrchat.com
      www.tomcat.ws/prowler

      Get Free Cat Website Counters!
      http://www.tomcat.ws/member/counters/index.php
    • Ebru1331@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
        i recentally built a cat house for a feral who has taken up residence on my deck.  i lined it with hay and covered it with blankets and towels on the outside.  i want to  caulk along the outsides to seal the drafty areas.  she should have a pretty nice place to call home.  now if anyone has any sugg on how to get her to use it let me know.  i tried food and she pulled it out and ate on the top of the house.  also several times i have caught her sleeping on top rather than in it.  my e mail is ebru1331 @....  look forward to your sugg.  thanks
      • Schneider, Laurie S
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
          Message
          I have done the same for number of year; not sure if used during nites by the cats, but could tell in Spring it was used some, by indentations in the bedding.  I have had to satisfy myself that at the least, they had a warmer, drier place to come into, to have the food - if they chose to not spend other time, sleeping time in there, that must mean they have a better place elsewhere for that sleeping activity.  As long as they keep coming by to eat, hopefully they are doing fine.  Hope this helps,

          Laurie Schneider
          Paul Schlosser Agency 379-034
          502 North Bridge St
          Chippewa Falls, WI  54729
          715.723.3293  ~  Phone
          715.720.4974  ~  Fax

          i recentally built a cat house for a feral who has taken up residence on my deck.  i lined it with hay and covered it with blankets and towels on the outside.  i want to  caulk along the outsides to seal the drafty areas.  she should have a pretty nice place to call home.  now if anyone has any sugg on how to get her to use it let me know.  i tried food and she pulled it out and ate on the top of the house.  also several times i have caught her sleeping on top rather than in it.  my e mail is ebru1331 @....  look forward to your sugg.  thanks
          If you do not want to receive future unsolicited commercial email advertisements or promotions from American Family Insurance you may opt-out by clicking here
          Note: After opting-out, you may receive emails that you have specifically requested from American Family. If you are a current American Family customer, you may still receive transactional emails regarding your existing policies or accounts with American Family. American Family Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates utilize the PossibleNow DNESolution to administer this email opt-out process.
        • Paul T. O'Leary
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
            Well, she'll use it when she needs it. If she's comfy outside the house, that's fine. Who knows, if it's really small and tight in there, it may get too hot for her. I wouldn't worry about minor draifts / air leaks. What counts is that it blocks the major wind, and is small enough that she warms the space with her own body heat.

            'Bout the only other thing that would deter her from using it would be another animal taking it over. Not sure what you can do about that.

            > From: Ebru1331@...
            >
            > i recentally built a cat house for a feral who has taken up residence on my
            > deck. i lined it with hay and covered it with blankets and towels on the
            > outside. i want to caulk along the outsides to seal the drafty areas. she
            > should have a pretty nice place to call home. now if anyone has any sugg on how
            > to get her to use it let me know. i tried food and she pulled it out and
            > ate on the top of the house. also several times i have caught her sleeping on
            > top rather than in it. my e mail is ebru1331 @.... look forward to your
            > sugg. thanks

            Paul T. O'Leary
            Desktop Insurgent
            Madison, WI USA
          • Ted O'Donnell
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005

              She may feel it s a potential trap and just be grateful for the food.  Realistically, she’s a wild animal like any other – even if she may have a “tame side”.  I’m guessing the cozier it looked, the more skeptical she’d get.  How many exits are there?