Fw: Wisconsin bills, seizure bond will remove rights to animal ownership.

  • MARIE GLOVER
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2010
      Please read this and pass it on.......

      Marie Glover, Mayor of Tabby Town and
      Field Representative for Life's Abundance Pet Food
      Could you be killing your dog or cat?
      Go to our website below to learn about
      our pet food with NO BY-PRODUCTS!
      Made from ALL NATURAL, NUTRITIOUS, HEALTHY INGREDIENTS.

      Tabby Town USA, Inc.
      No-Kill, Non-Profit Cat Rescue
      S1695B Stenslien Lane, Westby, WI  54667
      (608) 634-4614
      www.tabbytownusa.org

      I rescue cats...my work is never done and my home is never quiet.
      My wallet is always empty, but my heart is always full.
      Until there are none, rescue one...
                           (\
                            /)
                 ^,,^    (\
              =  ~  =   ))
             (((      )))
      Date: Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 4:16 PM
      To: lonerock@...

      Cats will come under this. I raise NFC’s, but my letter was directed to dog breeders. I’ve written my representative.

      <http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB-580.pdf>

      Wisconsin Bills AB793/SB580 Removing ownership rights to animals

      We have 2 wicked bills in Wisconsin right now. If passed it will remove
      ownership rights to animals, with a seizure bond requirement. Dog breeders will
      have NO RIGHTS in Wisconsin if either of these pass. Animal owners will have NO RIGHTS. Pet owners, farmers, will have no rights to their animals. Legal blackmail will be used against them.
      AB 793 did pass out of committee. The Senate Bill 580 will have a public hearing
      within days.

      Dog breeders rolled over & played with the devil, supporting the Wisconsin
      Breeder licensing law last year. It becomes effective June 2011. The illegal
      seizure and bond requirement was removed from that breeder bill in an effort to
      get support from the hobby/show/small breeders. Many AKC clubs voted yes to
      support the Wisconsin Breeder licensing law.

      The illegal seizure & bond requirement bills are back & will affect all dog
      owners, all animal owners. (dogs, horses, cats, rabbits, cows, pigs, sheep, goats)

       It doesn't matter if you only have 2 or 3 animals.
      One complaint, the humane officers can steal your dogs, force you to pay for
      their care in advance, until you go to court. they don't have to charge you with
      anything to take your dogs. They can keep them until they decide on charges. It
      could take 6 months to get a court date. You'll be paying $10 and up, per day
      per animal. If you don't post a bond in 5 days, your animals will be considered
      abandoned. The rescue's & shelters will make off with them to places unknown. If
      you are found innocent, your case thrown out, you will still have lost your
      animals. The DCHS (Dane County Humane Society) & the HSUS are directly
      responsible for this bill being written.

      Breeders and animal owners in Wisconsin need to write to their legislators
      NOW.

      <http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB-580.pdf>

      It's currently in the committee on Ethics Reform and Government Operations.

      Please cross-post this to some breed lists. Maybe some Wisconsin breeders will
      notice. I'm so sick of this. Last year I was the only breeder in the whole state
      of Wisconsin who went down to Madison & spoke against the Breeder licensing
      bill. Everyone else was for it. The shelters, the rescue's, the hunting dog
      people, the sportsmen dog people, the DFOW representing dog owners & AKC clubs.
      There were only a couple AKC clubs & a handful of breeders that could see the
      danger in letting the camel into the tent.

      I can't fix it. NOBODY CARES !!!! Why doesn’t anybody care?
      The advisory board for making rules for the breeders is composed primarily of
      the animals rights activists who got the breeder licensing and inspection law to
      pass. Those breeders selling more than 24 puppies in a year, don't have a
      prayer in hell.
      Now ALL dog breeders, ALL animal owners, will be affected by this illegal
      seizure bill. Your rights will be completely GONE if is passes.

      Please write your representatives & tell them what you think.
      Joyce  Ellenbecker

      The public hearing On SB 580 is Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at the State Capitol building, room 411 South 11:10 AM. The bill is before the Committee on Ethics Reform and Government Operations (of which the author of the bill is the chair of this committee).

      The committee members are: Senator Fred Risser (Chair) <http://www.legis. state.wi. us/w3asp/ contact/legislat orpages.aspx? house=Senate& district= 26>

      Senator Judith Robson <http://www.legis. state.wi. us/w3asp/ contact/legislat orpages.aspx? house=Senate& district= 15>

      Senator Pat Kreitlow <http://www.legis. state.wi. us/w3asp/ contact/legislat orpages.aspx? house=Senate& district= 23>

      Senator Michael Ellis <http://www.legis. state.wi. us/w3asp/ contact/legislat orpages.aspx? house=Senate& district= 19>

      Senator Alan Lasee <http://www.legis. state.wi. us/w3asp/ contact/legislat orpages.aspx? house=Senate& district= 1>

       Senator Risser is the AUTHOR OF THE BILL.

      THIS BILL WILL APPLY TO ALL ANIMAL OWNERS IN THE STATE, NOT JUST DOG OWNERS!

      Senator Fred Risser
      (Chairman and Author of SB580)
      Madison Office
      Room 220 South
      State Capitol
      P.O. Box 7882
      Madison, WI 53707-7882
      Telephone
      (608) 266-1627
      District Telephone
      (608) 238-5008
      Fax
      (608) 266-1629
      Email
      Sen.Risser@legis. wisconsin. gov

      Senator Judith Robson
      Madison Office
      Room 122 South
      State Capitol
      P.O. Box 7882
      Madison, WI 53707-7882
      Telephone
      (608) 266-2253 Or
      (800) 334-1468
      District Telephone
      (608) 365-6587
      Fax
      (608) 267-5171
      Email
      Sen.Robson@legis. wisconsin. gov

      Senator Pat Kreitlow
      Madison Office
      Room 10 South
      State Capitol
      P.O. Box 7882
      Madison, WI 53707
      Telephone
      (608) 266-7511 Or
      (888) 437-9436
      Fax
      608-267-6794
      Email

       Sen.Kreitlow@ legis.wisconsin. gov

      Senator Michael Ellis
      Madison Office
      Room 7 South
      State Capitol
      P.O. Box 7882 Madison, WI 53707-7882
      Telephone
      (608) 266-0718
      Fax
      (608) 267-6798
      Email
      Sen.Ellis@legis. wisconsin. gov

      Senator Alan Lasee
      Madison Office
      Room 130 South
      State Capitol
      P.O. Box 7882
      Madison, WI 53707-7882
      Telephone
      (608) 266-3512
      Fax
      (608) 267-6792
      Email
      Sen.Lasee@legis. wisconsin. gov

      --
      Sue Villareal   715-340-7091
      LONEROCK RAGDOLLS

      Life's Abundance Cat and Dog Food, Pet Treats,Products.
      Made from ALL NATURAL, NUTRITIOUS, HEALTHY INGREDIENTS.
    • hamstergrrl17
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2010
        Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I had skimmed these bills a while back, but of course who has time to devote a portion of their attention to something that others do full time, and are paid to do it! I saw dog fighting mentioned, and went back to more pressing matters in my life.

        Something happened in Pennsylvania a few years ago that illustrates why laws like this are so dangerous. A woman was trying to comply with PA law, but in the process drew attention to herself, and the PA Game Commission seized her animals pending resolution. Armed officers just showed up at her property unannounced and basically told her if she resisted, she would be arrested and her animals might be harmed in the process of taking them by force. So she cooperated. Time went by as she fought through the legal system. At least one animal died in state custody, because the state was ignorant of how to properly care for a wallaby. These animals were loved and cared for. The state did not seize them based on abuse, they seized them just because of a technicality in the law to prove their power, and used this woman to make an example for others who dared to challenge them. She could not visit the animals, so had friends go to the facility (which offered tours for a price and was owned by a retired state enforcement officer!!!). Signs on the animal's enclosures lied about their origin. Some of the animals were closely bonded to their "previous" owner, and were very depressed. More than a year later, a court ordered some of the animals returned. The PA Game Commission ignored the court order. The woman held back from some actions or asking people to bombard the state with complaints, because she was afraid of what they might do to the animals in retaliation.

        These new bills, combined with the Invasive Species Act, may really screw over feral cat caretakers. Feral cats aren't currently listed as an invasive species like zebra mussels, but they easily could be added in the future. I wrote to my representative about the Invasive Species Act, but he was a sponsor of the bill. Opposing it was essentially impossible because you'd be saying it's OK to let zebra mussels and snakehead fish into state waters.

        Marsha
      • Kathy Pobloskie
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
          Please read the bill and think about the knee jerk reaction and the parananoia that the original author of this message was trying to generate.

          The intent of this bill is to protect humane societies that are put under serious financial hardship when they are forced to seize and hold animals for a criminal case. As in cases like the Thyme & Sage Ranch situation - where some of the animals have to be held for almost a year as evidence before the trial can take place. This can bankrupt a small shelter and seriously deplete the resources of a large one.

          We are trying to get stronger laws in Wisconsin to protect companion animals - please get involved and make sure you understand all sides of the issues. Then decide whether it is a good or bad thing.

          When it looks like the animal welfare community is "fractured" and can't support a bill that is presented - then the legislators are unwilling to support it either. That is why it took 10 years to pass a puppy mill bill in Wisconsin.

          Kathy Pobloskie
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
            Thank you Kathy. VERY much! I will pass this on, if I may.

            Pam
            (who has been to Best Friends 4 times & I think lived there in another
            life!)

            Kathy Pobloskie wrote:

            > Please read the bill and think about the knee jerk reaction and the
            > parananoia that the original author of this message was trying to
            > generate.
            >
            > The intent of this bill is to protect humane societies that are put
            > under serious financial hardship when they are forced to seize and
            > hold animals for a criminal case. As in cases like the Thyme & Sage
            > Ranch situation - where some of the animals have to be held for almost
            > a year as evidence before the trial can take place. This can bankrupt
            > a small shelter and seriously deplete the resources of a large one.
            >
            > We are trying to get stronger laws in Wisconsin to protect companion
            > animals - please get involved and make sure you understand all sides
            > of the issues. Then decide whether it is a good or bad thing.
            >
            > When it looks like the animal welfare community is "fractured" and
            > can't support a bill that is presented - then the legislators are
            > unwilling to support it either. That is why it took 10 years to pass a
            > puppy mill bill in Wisconsin.
            >
            > Kathy Pobloskie

          • Marnie Brown
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010

              VERY well said Kathy…thank you!  From a shelter who was almost decimated years ago from a 23 animal impound that was tied up in the court for over a year,  I know how much this bill is needed.  Thanks for your common sense comments!

              Marnie

              Marnie Brown

              Executive Director

              The Washington County Humane Society

              exec@...

              www.washingtoncountyhumane.org

              262-677-4388

              262-677-0388 (fax)

[...]

              This message is intended for use only by the person(s) addressed above and may contain privileged and confidential information. Disclosure or use of this message by any other person is strictly prohibited. If this message is received in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.