Re: [WisCats] Re: Advice/Help Needed

  • animalrescuerscare@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 28, 2009

         Hi Michelle,

           Thanks.... they are cuties that's for sure!!!    It is my goal to find a safe place, where they will be cared for and can live out the remainder of their life.

        Dawn

      From: Dawn <animalrescuerscare@ gmail.com>
      Subject: [WisCats] Re: Advice/Help Needed
      To: WisCats@yahoogroups .com
      Date: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 9:30 PM

      Hi Tammy, Thanks for responding. Yes, this is a hard situation. I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties as well.

      With the 4 I have left. When they came to me as kittens. I had just recently taken in a hugely pregnant cat who had also been a kicked out pet, and she had delivered 5 kittens the very next day. Plus I had 2 others I had rescued within that year I was still working with, and with those two the plan was to keep them, (they are now permanent members). So I had 8 in the house plus 2 house rabbits. I was able to get 1 of the outdoor kittens adopted by a neighbor, whom then also took over responsibility for the mother whom ended up having a 2nd litter. The neighbor ended up taking all newborns and mom to a no kill shelter.

      Meanwhile I was caring for those outside and inside. Trying to find homes is difficult at best! I was overflowing and not finding much help. Hence why I still have them. I am renting (as I was then).... or I would try to give them some sort of flap to come and go. And frankly, If I owned, I would just keep them.

      I need to find somewhere for them to have a permanent home. I really just don't know where to turn. Because they basically are semi-feral. Yet from 2 months old, are USED to being cared for. The situation is difficult in that there is just not much help to be found.

      The first 2 girls I rescued and adopted 1 a kicked out pet, 1 a feral. The 1 kicked out pet had a housemate that was also kicked out, she I also took in, and was lucky to get another rescuer to take her, and she was eventually adopted. Shortly after that Dylan came along, and the pregnant Cat I took in, then the Mom outside with her kittens ( the 4 I have ) The pregnant Mom I took in I was also able to finally get into a no kill shelter. Only AFTER having cared for her over a year. So that was a very difficult separation. During that winter 2 more came to me. Both also kicked out pets. One I only did TNR and let go, (no more room and no one would take him) the other turned out to have been abused. Someone had literally kicked her teeth in. So the group I took her to for spaying, took her immediately. She also is now in a home with someone who was looking for a special needs cat. Then Another kicked out female came along, I noticed she was also pregnant. Although she had her kittens before I could get her in. I was however able to find her nest and get her and her 4 kittens into a shelter and all kittens have since been adopted, the mother is probably going to be a permanent resident of the clinic that took them in. But I have been left with many that I am finding no help for.

      This is a VERY difficult area to be involved in, which I sort of delved into because I could NOT say NO to those faces peering at me through my window. I helped everyone.... even if I still have them ;o)

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 29, 2009
        Dawn

        I would think that with all of us here, if we really work on this, we
        should be able to help you. All of us have contacts who have contacts,
        places we know or have come across, people we have talked to, etc. This
        is not unsolvable if we all work on it & if you can have patience with us.

        Pam

        animalrescuerscare@... wrote:

        > Hi Michelle,
        >
        > Thanks.... they are cuties that's for sure!!! It is my goal to
        > find a safe place, where they will be cared for and can live out the
        > remainder of their life.
        >
        > Dawn

      • Kathy Pobloskie
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 29, 2009
          Dawn,
          Would you like me to post your cats on the Best Friends forum and Facebook page?

          Also, I'm throwing this out there to any of the group that may know. At one point I remember there being a "Barn Buddies" program that coordinated with shelters who had surrendered cats with litterbox issues. Does anybody know if this is still operating and who does it? I would like to get in touch with them.

          Kathy Pobloskie
        • animalrescuerscare@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 29, 2009
                Hi Kathy,

                  That would be great....    every bit of help is appreciated :O)

                   I know of the Barn Buddies program.  As far as I know they are no longer doing it.

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 29, 2009

                 Hi Pam,

                 That's very sweet.....   getting the word around will surely help :O)

                Thanks,

            • Kathy Pobloskie
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 30, 2009
                Hi Dawn,
                I posted on the BF Facebook page as well as my own Facebook page. I realized that people won't know how to respond to you and will probably just leave a comment on the page if they are interested. Is that best? I was also going to put it in a few other places - possibly with some horse connections that I have, but then would need your contact info, so you can email me that privately if you like.
                Kathy Pobloskie