Re: [WisCats] TNR

  • Community Cat
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 14, 2009
      Hi Vicki,

      That is wonderful to hear! We have a new TNR and low cost s/n group in Whitewater (Walworth Cty., southeastern Wisconsin). Do you have vets who give you low cost services or do you use volunteer vets?  We use the Spay Me clinic in Madison and they are able to give us low cost as well as high volume.

      I would love to talk with you more about your program and exchange ideas. It would also be good to know who we should/ shouldn't refer to you -- believe it or not, we do get calls from that far away. Hope to talk with you soon!

      Lela

      Community Cat

      PO BOX 447

      Whitewater WI 53190

      608-201-3241

      http://www.commcat.org

      Working to end feline overpopulation in our area

      From: Kathy Pobloskie <kathypobloskie@ yahoo.com>
      Subject: [WisCats] Thanks for the Warm Welcome
      To: WisCats@yahoogroups .com
      Date: Friday, November 6, 2009, 8:21 PM

      I hope you've all heard that the puppy mill bill passed unanimously
      in the Senate yesterday and is now on it's way to the Governor's desk.

      Please correct me if I'm wrong on the following info:

      1) most counties and municipalities in Wisconsin have ordinances
      which prohibit free roaming animals

      2) groups that perform TNR either operate under the radar or do it on
      privately owned land

      3)most humane societies that also hold animal control contracts are
      reluctant to do TNR because they would be violating local ordinances
      unless they are passing it off to a private group or doing it on
      privately owned land.

      4)most rural animal control contracts do not want to fund cat issues
      (picking up strays, trapping ferals,etc.)

      Are there any counties or municipalities that have amended their
      ordinances to exclude feral cats from the free-roaming animal ban?

      Have there been past attempts to amend or change ordinances that have
      been unsuccessful?

    • Vicki Becker
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 2009
        Hi Lela,
        Good to know there is another TNR group south of us! We also get
        requests
        from very far away. How can I send them to you?

        To refer anyone to us, just tell them to go to our
        website,catsanonymous.org
        and print the Colony Registration form. If they fill out and mail
        that, they will
        get on our rather long(600+) list of cats waiting.We do NOT do any
        low cost s/n,
        just stray,feral and barn cats. We also ask for a donation to cover
        costs.

        Our vets volunteer all their services,some even donate the vaccine
        and surgical
        supplies. We have a "spay day" once a month and recently have done
        over 90
        cats in one day! Usually 3-4 vets work at those. During the week, we
        have one
        vet who will do 4 cats each Thursday and one who does 6 per month. We
        have
        several who take cats when I call and if they have time.

        If you'd like to talk more,would you prefer a phone call?
        I can email my #

        Vicki Becker
        TNR Coordinator
        Cats Anonymous,Inc
      • Community Cat
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 16, 2009
          Hi Vicki,

          Great, we can refer both ways!  You can also send them to our web site to sign up [see below].  You can call the number below too-- that's my cell. I would love to talk more.

          You can also refer any spay/neuter (dogs too) to Shelter from the Storm in Madison at 608-770-4879. The clinic is open to the public (and to shelters/rescues) -- no need to prove income.