WisCats Questionaire

  • Community Cat
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2009
      1.) How many feral/stray cats are you presently involved in caring for?
      (other than your own pet cats)  6 outside my home.  Working with many other people on their colonies.

      2.)  How long have you been caring for the colon(y/ies) you're now
      involved with?  1 year

      3.) How many of them are spayed or neutered?  All

      4.) How much experience do you have with Trap-Neuter- Return and using humane traps?   Extensive.  I work with a group that helps others learn humane TNR.

      5.)  How many of the cats you're now caring for have been born in
      your colon(y/ies) since you've been feeding them?  0!

      6.)  What do you feed your colony cats, and do you also provide fresh water?  Dry food, wet food is put out for trapping or when one looks thin.  I provide water year round, in a heated water bowl in the winter.  They come eat off my porch on the edge of town.

      7.)  Where do you usually get your cat food? Do you pay full price,
      or do you get a price break or donated cat food?  Donated.

      8.)  How often do you feed your colony cats? Approximately what time
      of day?   Dry food and water are always left out.  Wet food is put out at dusk when trapping.

      9.)  Do you have a problem with raccoons or other animals coming to
      eat the cats' food? (Have you found any useful ways of dealing with
      this?  Please share!)    Yes.  We have raccoons and possums.  They are not always around.  When they are, I put out additional platters of dry food so there is enough for everyone.

      10.)  Do you provide any form of shelter for your colony cats? If
      so, what? (New & interesting ideas are always welcome.)  They have a large insulated dog house that has straw in it for the winter.  It is generally not used by the ferals, but has been used by strays who have found their way to our porch.   They have then been TNR'd and have either been adopted to new homes or come to live with us...

      11.)  How many kittens (if any!) do you expect to be born in your
      colon(y/ies) this kitten season?  Hopefully 0.  We think we have all the ferals spayed/neutered.  If new ones show up, we will alter ASAP. If there are babies, we will take in at the right age, spay/neuter, and adopt out.

      12.)  How/where have you been getting the cats spayed and neutered?
      (private vet, feral cat clinic, Humane Society program, etc.)   Through a wonderful program called Spay Me! run by Shelter From the Storm in Madison.  Low cost, high volume spay/neuter services. Wonderful people!

      13.)  Is “eartipping” an essential part of your TNR routine?  Absolutely.

      14.)  How much have you typically been paying for spay and neuter
      & etc.?  What does the "etc." include (testing for leukemia & FIV,
      Rabies & FVRCP vaccination, leukemia vaccination, worming,
      flea treatment, ear mite treatment, eartipping, etc.) for the price?  $50 for transport to Madison, spay/neuter, eartip, rabies and distemper vaccs.

      15.)  Are you paying out of your own pocket for spay/neuter/ etc,
      or are you part of a nonprofit that pays for the spay/neuter?  Part of Community Cat, Inc. in Whitewater.

      16.)  Do you also keep your own veterinary records of each cat,
      or do you leave that to your vet?  We keep our own records since these cats are seen at a spay/neuter clinics and various vets.

      17.)  Where geographically are you located? (nearest reasonable-
      sized city, state)   Whitewater, WI, half way between Milwaukee and Madison, WI.

      18.)  Are you in an urban, rural, or suburban environment? Suburban to Rural.  I am on the far edge of town.

      19.)  How long have you been involved in cat rescue? How long with
      feral cats?  3 years in rescue, all with ferals.

      20.)  Are your family and/or friends supportive of your efforts?  Most of the time!  Sometimes it gets to be a bit much, but they understand.

      21.)  Do you have contact with other cat rescue/feral cat TNR people
      in your geographic area for mutual help and support?  Yes, we are in contact with humane organizations and vets.

      22.)  What do you do when a cat in your colon(y/ies) gets sick or
      injured?   Depends on what is wrong.  We have trapped and cared for some when ill.  We have put some meds in wet food to help.  We work with vets that know how to work with ferals so the people and the cats remain safe.  We built an 8' X 4' X 8' cage that is part plywood and part small fence material.  We have hiding spots built in and we can care for them there until ready for release.  We always keep an open carrier in there and when it's time for them to go, they usually go in the carrier when we walk into the cage and we can just take them right outside.

      23.)  Although it is very important to stay current with your
      tetanus vaccination, have you ever considered getting a
      “preventative” rabies vaccination (or have gotten this already)?   Haven't done this.  Rabies is rare by us and so far has been limited to bats.

      24.)  How many "pet cats" do you have (as opposed to your colony
      cats)? Are they a pure breed, pound kitty, stray, tamed feral.
      In other words, what’s your kitties’ story?   Well, my husband says we have the rejects.  We own 18 of our own, and also foster for Community Cat.  None are pure breeds!  We have two tamed ferals that came in winter and needed care and seemed to want to stay inside.  They are two of the best cats ever and don't seem to fight with anyone! We have two 'inside ferals' that came to us as sick babies and never tamed.  They don't want contact with us, but love the other cats and as long as they are happy, they can be inside ferals.  The rest are pretty much foster rejects that nobody wanted.  We have had missing legs, eyes, ears, tails...  We have several with chronic medical issues from where they came from.  Many came from an auto junkyard where they were exposed to many chemicals and they have chronic watery eyes and off and on URI. They just need a little TLC..  We also have what we call border-line ferals.  We can pet them, they don't want to be held, and they go in the basement when new people are over.  We got most of them as foster babies just past the critical time for socialization. So they also can live with us as long as they need to.  The cats actually get along and they all have their own places.  It's a beautiful day here today and they are all laying on ledges by windows enjoying the sun.  We are building them an outside enclosure this month.

       Tammy Neumeister

      Community Cat
      PO BOX 447
      Whitewater WI 53190
      608-201-3241

      Working to end feline overpopulation in our area

    • Pam Norman
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2009