HIYA! Julie in Riverwest... INTRO

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2009
      1.) How many feral/stray cats are you presently involved in caring
      for? (other than your own pet cats)
      **Erm... well currently 3 regular "yardies", about 3 more infrequent
      yardies. Also TNR'd a colony of 12 that someone else cares for.
      ...as well as... 1 permanant hospice case, 3 house ferals, 2 plain
      housecats.

      2.) How long have you been caring for the colon(y/ies) you're now
      involved with? about 3 yrs.

      3.) How many of them are spayed or neutered? All but the 2 or 3 new
      kids that have been poking around lately.

      4.) How much experience do you have with TNR and using the humane
      traps?
      ***Lots and lots. 20 some cats.

      5.) How many of the cats you're now caring for have been born in
      your colon(y/ies) since you've been feeding them?
      ***only 3 kittens I ever saw as kittens. all from one litter. I know
      1 other calico was pregnant more than once, but i never saw her kids.

      6.) What do you feed your colony cats, and do you also provide fresh
      water?
      ***Purina Cat Chow, mixed with 1/3rd kitten food in winter, wet food
      occasionally. Water (in heated bowl in winter) 24/7/365.

      7.) Where do you usually get your cat food? Do you pay full price,
      or do you get a price break or donated cat food?
      ***Grocery store. Some friends pass on coupons, free stuff, stuff
      their cats dont like. A friend in rescue trades me food donations
      she cant use & i bring her food she can use in trade.

      8.) How often do you feed your colony cats? Approximately what time
      of day?
      *** They live in my yard so before and after work. Morning/Evening.

      9.) Do you have a problem with raccoons or other animals coming to
      eat the cats' food? (Have you found any useful ways of dealing with
      this? Please share!)
      *** In summer and +35degree weather, yes. In non-winter months I take
      the food in when I go to bed. Coons only come at night.

      10.) Do you provide any form of shelter for your colony cats? If
      so, what? (new & interesting ideas are always welcome)
      *** Oh do I ever!
      *Year 1 was IndyFeral/FeralVilla
      *Year 2 was covered litterboxes insulated with sticky foil pipe
      insulation/hay/foam panel in roof, floor, and to make entrance
      smaller.
      Year 3 was a huge wooden box my neighbor made me.
      *Year 4 is Omaha Steak Coolers, lined with Mylar, stuffed with hay.
      BEST so far!
      ***Pix of all my shelters here!***
      http://flickr.com/photos/kisluvkis/sets/72157614070320153/

      11.) How many kittens (if any!) do you expect to be born in your
      colon(y/ies) this kitten season?
      ***Hopefully none! I dont know of any unspayed females so I dont
      really expect any, but then again I dont know.

      12.) How/where have you been getting the cats spay/neutered?
      (private vet, feral cat clinic, Humane Society program, etc.)
      ***WHS TNR program!

      13.) Is "Eartipping" an essential part of your TNR routine?
      ***WHS does it, but my colony is small enough that I wouldnt care
      either way.

      14.) How much have you typically been paying for spay/neuter
      & etc.? What does the "etc." include (testing for leukemia & FIV,
      Rabies & FVRCP vaccination, leukemia vaccination, worming,
      flea treatment, ear mite treatment, eartipping, etc.) for the price?
      ***WHS does it for free. Spay/Neuter, Flea treat, Rabies 1 yr vac.
      Testing if deemed suspicious/necessary.

      15.) Are you paying out of your own pocket for spay/neuter/etc,
      or are you part of a nonprofit that pays for the spay/neuter?
      ***Own pocket for medical, but s/n thru WHS.

      16.) Do you also keep your own records of each TNR, or do you leave
      that to your vet?
      *** Huge folder with every vet bill, WHS certificate, microchip info,
      etc!!!

      17.) Where geographically are you located? (nearest reasonable-
      sized city, state)
      ***MILWAUKEE WI - RIVERWEST

      18.) Are you in an urban, rural, or suburban environment?
      ***RURAL

      19.) How long have you been involved in cat rescue? How long with
      feral cats?
      ***Started rescue with 1st feral cat. She was my intro into this
      crazy world! 3 yrs ago.

      20.) Are your family and/or friends supportive of your efforts?
      *** YES! some think i'm weird, but boyfriend is cool with it, helps
      with money, transport, etc. friends support with donations, adoption
      referrals. Lots of positive feedback.

      21.) Do you have contact with other cat rescue/feral cat TNR people
      in your geographic area for mutual help and support?
      *** A few folks. Know some on my block, they dont TNR but know I'm a
      resource, etc and I call on them to keep lookout for new kids, etc.

      22.) What do you do when a cat in your colon(y/ies) gets sick or
      injured?
      *** Scoop it up and take it to the vet!! Most are touchable now, so
      it's not too hard. Only one is seriously untouchable. She's
      resisting!

      23.) Although it is very important to stay current with your
      tetanus vaccination, have you ever considered getting a
      "preventative" rabies vaccination (or have gotten this already)?
      *** Not really.

      24.) How many "pet cats" do you have (as opposed to your colony
      cats) are they a pure breed, pound kitty, stray, tamed feral.
      In other words, what's your kitties' story?
      *** 2 pet cats before this madness started. 1 was a barn kitty who
      was sick (saw her at a barn party in my 20's) and I felt the need to
      save her. my 1st cat ever. Never even liked cats before that! HA!
      2nd was a stray kitten on my neighbors porch. took 7 yrs before I
      aquired the rest/started feraling.
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2009
        I MEANT URBAN!!! NOT RURAL LOL. I'm right in the city. :D
        Anyone else from Riverwest/east side on this list??