New Member Questionaire

  • Marnie Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2005

      Please take a few minutes to fill out the questionnaire.  Many of these questions

      come from Yahoo group “feralcats” and I thought it was a great idea. It is an

      easy way for the group to get to know each other, and your feline experiences.

      Don’t feel obligated to answer all the questions, only the ones you choose.

      In order to answer the questions and reply, you will need to copy and paste this,

      as though you were posting a message.

      1.) How many feral/stray cats are you presently involved in caring for?

      (other than your own pet cats)

      Our shelter does not, at the present time, do TNR.  Unfortunately, we euthanize adult feral cats that come in to our shelter.  Feral kittens are socialized by staff and volunteer foster families whenever possible.

      2.)  How long have you been caring for the colon(y/ies) you're now
      involved with?

      N/A

      3.) How many of them are spayed or neutered?

      N/A

      4.) How much experience do you have with TNR and using the humane traps?

      No experience with TNR although our shelter uses humane traps for stray/feral capture.

      5.)  How many of the cats you're now caring for have been born in
      your colon(y/ies) since you've been feeding them?

      N/A

      6.)  What do you feed your colony cats, and do you also provide fresh water?

      N/A

      7.)    Where do you usually get your cat food?  Do you pay full price,
      or do you get a price break or donated cat food?

      We usually get all of our food donated.  During our busy seasons, we may have to purchase it but that’s not often.

       8.)  How often do you feed your colony cats? Approximately what time
      of day?

      N/A

      9.)  Do you have a problem with raccoons or other animals coming to
      eat the cats' food?  (Have you found any useful ways of dealing with
      this?  Please share!)

      N/A

      10.)  Do you provide any form of shelter for your colony cats?  If
      so, what?  (new & interesting ideas are always welcome)

      N/A

      11.)  How many kittens (if any!) do you expect to be born in your
      colon(y/ies) this kitten season?

      N/A

      12.   How/where have you been getting the cats spay/neutered?
      (private vet, feral cat clinic, Humane Society program, etc.)

      N/A for ferals.  Adoptable cats are altered in the shelter by a vet who comes in weekly.

      13.)  Is “Eartipping” an essential part of your TNR routine?

      N/A

      14.)  How much have you typically been paying for spay/neuter

      & etc.?  What does the "etc." include (testing for leukemia & FIV,
      Rabies & FVRCP vaccination, leukemia vaccination, worming,

      flea treatment, ear mite treatment, eartipping, etc.) for the price?

      N/A for ferals

      15.)  Are you paying out of your own pocket for spay/neuter/etc,
      or are you part of a nonprofit that pays for the spay/neuter?

      N/A for ferals.

      16.)  Do you also keep your own records of each TNR,

      or do you leave that to your vet?

      N/A

      17.)  Where geographically are you located?  (nearest reasonable-
      sized city, state)

      We are located between Jackson and Slinger (approx. 20 miles north of Milwaukee , 7 miles south of West Bend ).

      18.)  Are you in an urban, rural, or suburban environment?

      Primarily rural with 2 small cities and 5 villages within our county.

      19.)How long have you been involved in cat rescue?  How long with
      feral cats?

      I’ve been with the shelter for 16 years.

      20.)  Are your family and/or friends supportive of your efforts?

      Very

      Do you have contact with other cat rescue/feral cat TNR people
      in your geographic area for mutual help and support.

      Few to none.

      22.)  What do you do when a cat in your colon(y/ies) gets sick or
      injured?

      N/A

      23.)  Although it is very important to stay current with your

      tetanus vaccination, have you ever considered getting a

       “preventative” rabies vaccination?

      A few of our shelter staff already have the pre-exposure rabies vaccine.

      24.)  How many "pet cats" do you have (as opposed to your colony
      cats) are they a pure breed, pound kitty, stray, tamed feral.

      In other words, what’s your kitties’ story?

      I have 4 cats of my own…all from the shelter.

      25.)  Will you be attending one of the Alley Cat Allies TNR workshops,

      in Wisconsin , August or September 2005 ?

      Yes…a few of us are going to the workshop in Milwaukee on September 1st.

      Marnie Brown

      Executive Director

      Washington County Humane Society

      exec@...

      www.washingtoncountyhumane.org

    • MARIE GLOVER
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 28, 2005

        Please take a few minutes to fill out the questionnaire.  Many of these questions

        come from Yahoo group “feralcats” and I thought it was a great idea. It is an

        easy way for the group to get to know each other, and your feline experiences.

        Don’t feel obligated to answer all the questions, only the ones you choose.

        In order to answer the questions and reply, you will need to copy and paste this,

        as though you were posting a message.

        1.) How many feral/stray cats are you presently involved in caring for?

        (other than your own pet cats)

        About 50 - mostly strays.  Very few ferals.

        2.)  How long have you been caring for the colon(y/ies) you're now
        involved with?

        2 years

        3.) How many of them are spayed or neutered?

        ALL, except kittens under 3 pounds.

        .) How much experience do you have with TNR and using the humane traps?

        Not much, but we've been successful using traps, especially after reading

        "Community Approaches to Feral Cats" by HSUS

        5.)  How many of the cats you're now caring for have been born in
        your colon(y/ies) since you've been feeding them?

        10 kittens born to cats that came to us pregnant.

        6.)  What do you feed your colony cats, and do you also provide fresh water?

        We buy Dick Van Patton's Natural Balance and mix donated food with it.

        7.)  Where do you usually get your cat food?  Do you pay full price,
        or do you get a price break or donated cat food?

        We get Natural Balance from our local Petco Store.  They give us a 20% discount.  We pick up donated food from Certco, a Shurfine distribution center, every 2 weeks.  We also

        pick up 7-9,000 small cans of donated Fancy Feast from Nestle Purina whenever we need it.

         8.)  How often do you feed your colony cats? Approximately what time
        of day?

        Morning and Evening.

        9.)  Do you have a problem with raccoons or other animals coming to
        eat the cats' food?  (Have you found any useful ways of dealing with
        this?  Please share!)

        Coons and possums.  I'm hoping to trap and relocate them.

        10.)  Do you provide any form of shelter for your colony cats?  If
        so, what?  (new & interesting ideas are always welcome)

        Most are in our home (plans are underway to remodel an existing building

        on our property to home them.  Some cats stay in the building now, which

        is uninsulated/unheated.  For winter protection, we make small shelters using

        wood and leftover insulation from garage doors.  They go into the opening and have to

        turn a corner to get inside.  That way no snow, rain or wind can get inside.

        11.)  How many kittens (if any!) do you expect to be born in your
        colon(y/ies) this kitten season?

        NONE!

        12.   How/where have you been getting the cats spay/neutered?
        (private vet, feral cat clinic, Humane Society program, etc.)

        Private vet.

        13.)  Is “Eartipping” an essential part of your TNR routine?

        Not yet.

        14.)  How much have you typically been paying for spay/neuter

        & etc.?  What does the "etc." include (testing for leukemia & FIV,
        Rabies & FVRCP vaccination, leukemia vaccination, worming,

        flea treatment, ear mite treatment, eartipping, etc.) for the price?

        Our vet charges $85 to test for FIV/FeLV, spay/neuter and Rabies.

        We do the deworming, flea and earmite treatment, and Distemper

        vaccinations with products purchased on-line.

        15.)  Are you paying out of your own pocket for spay/neuter/etc,
        or are you part of a nonprofit that pays for the spay/neuter?

        We are  a non-profit cat rescue.  We pay out of pocket and get

        most of our cost returned through adoption fees.

        16. Do you also keep your own records of each TNR,

        or do you leave that to your vet?

        We haven't used TNR yet.  We will keep our own records when we start.

        17.)  Where geographically are you located?  (nearest reasonable-
        sized city, state)

        Near LaCrosse, WI.

        18.)  Are you in an urban, rural, or suburban environment?

        Rural.

        19.)How long have you been involved in cat rescue?  How long with
        feral cats?

        3 years.  If we get feral cats in we try and socialize and rehome

        them.  Dangerous cats are humanely euthanized.

        20.)  Are your family and/or friends supportive of your efforts?

        Yes.

        Do you have contact with other cat rescue/feral cat TNR people
        in your geographic area for mutual help and support.

        Yes.

        22.)  What do you do when a cat in your colon(y/ies) gets sick or
        injured?

        Treat myself if possible, otherwise take to vet.

        23.)  Although it is very important to stay current with your

        tetanus vaccination, have you ever considered getting a

         “preventative” rabies vaccination?

        I'd like to when we have enough money.

        24.)  How many "pet cats" do you have (as opposed to your colony
        cats) are they a pure breed, pound kitty, stray, tamed feral.

        In other words, what’s your kitties’ story?

        8.  7 were surrendered to us and have special needs, 1 stray.

        25.)  Will you be attending one of the Alley Cat Allies TNR workshops,

        in Wisconsin , August or September 2005 ?

        Yes, in LaCrosse, WI on Aug. 30th.

        Marie Glover, Exec. Dir. & "Mayor"

        Tabby Town USA, Inc.

        Westby, WI