Hi all - New Member

  • fuglyzombie_101
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2008
      1.) How many feral/stray cats are you presently involved in caring
      for?
      (other than your own pet cats) Technically, none. But there is one
      living in a building next door that I have fed often and want to help.

      2.) How long have you been caring for the colon(y/ies) you're now
      involved with? About a year

      3.) How many of them are spayed or neutered? None, unfortunately.
      There are no TNR programs here.

      4.) How much experience do you have with TNR and using the humane
      traps? Only humane traps I've used were for mice.

      5.) How many of the cats you're now caring for have been born in
      your colon(y/ies) since you've been feeding them? None

      6.) What do you feed your colony cats, and do you also provide fresh
      water? Don't provide water, but give wet cat food (usually Whiskas
      because we use that as treats for some pets.)

      7.) Where do you usually get your cat food? Do you pay full price,
      or do you get a price break or donated cat food? Pay full at Walmart
      or other stores

      8.) How often do you feed your colony cats? Approximately what time
      of day? The cat is active at night, and we put the food out late
      evening.

      9.) Do you have a problem with raccoons or other animals coming to
      eat the cats' food? (Have you found any useful ways of dealing with
      this? Please share!) There are racoons in the area, but have not
      seen any around my apartment

      10.) Do you provide any form of shelter for your colony cats? If
      so, what? (new & interesting ideas are always welcome) No. The cat
      lives inside the vacated building next door.

      11.) How many kittens (if any!) do you expect to be born in your
      colon(y/ies) this kitten season? Hopefully none!

      12.) How/where have you been getting the cats spay/neutered?
      (private vet, feral cat clinic, Humane Society program, etc.) I cannot
      afford to have this done, and there are no TNR programs to depend on.

      13.) Is "Eartipping" an essential part of your TNR routine?

      14.) How much have you typically been paying for spay/neuter
      & etc.? What does the "etc." include (testing for leukemia & FIV,
      Rabies & FVRCP vaccination, leukemia vaccination, worming,
      flea treatment, ear mite treatment, eartipping, etc.) for the price?
      When I had my pet cat neutered it cost around $280 for the surgery,
      pain meds, antibiotics and anesthesia. For an exam with all the above
      mentioned vaccines and tests, usually amounted to a little over a
      hundred.

      15.) Are you paying out of your own pocket for spay/neuter/etc,
      or are you part of a nonprofit that pays for the spay/neuter?

      16.) Do you also keep your own records of each TNR,
      or do you leave that to your vet?

      17.) Where geographically are you located? (nearest reasonable-
      sized city, state) Rock County, WI

      18.) Are you in an urban, rural, or suburban environment?
      Suburban/rural "village"

      19.) How long have you been involved in cat rescue? How long with
      feral cats?

      20.) Are your family and/or friends supportive of your efforts? My
      fiance' is. Everyone else thinks I'm nuts

      21.) Do you have contact with other cat rescue/feral cat TNR people
      in your geographic area for mutual help and support? The closest TNR
      people are out of state.

      22.) What do you do when a cat in your colon(y/ies) gets sick or
      injured? If we found the cat to be very sick or injured, we would pay
      for the vet expenses ourselves.

      23.) Although it is very important to stay current with your
      tetanus vaccination, have you ever considered getting a
      "preventative" rabies vaccination (or have gotten this already)? No

      24.) How many "pet cats" do you have (as opposed to your colony
      cats) are they a pure breed, pound kitty, stray, tamed feral.
      In other words, what's your kitties' story? I had one Domestic Short
      Hair a few years ago. He was a rescue (my brother took in a stray
      pregnant cat,) and he was FelV+ He died at 5 years old. I do not
      plan to have another pet cat (fiance' is allergic,) but would like to
      help the strays/ferals that are outside. We do, however, do small pet
      and exotic rescue.
    • Ebru1331@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 16, 2008
        ONE CAT IN THE BUILDING NEXT DOOR.  BE GLAD ,I HAVE 69 I AM FEEDING THAT LIVE IN MY TRAILER PARK.  ALL TNR'D.
        OH AND HONEY EVERYONE WILL THINK YOU ARE NUTS UNTIL THEY NEED YOUR HELP OR NEED TO CONTACT YOU FOR RESOURCE NUMBERS ABOUT WHERE TO GET HELP.  I ROUTINELY MEET PEOPLE IN THE PET DEPARTMENTS THAT LIVE IN MY PARK AND KNOW ME AS THE FERAL CAT HANDLER IN MY AREA.  WORD SPREADS FAST BECAUSE MOST OF THESE PEOPLE I DO NOT KNOW , BUT THEY KNOW ME.  ONCE YOU HELP SOMEONE WITH A FERAL YOU ARE NO LONGER NUTS , YOU ARE A FRIEND.
        ALSO THE CATS YOU HELP DONT THINK YOU ARE NUTS THEY THINK YOU ARE A HERO. THAT IS WHAT MATTERS.  HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL GO OUT IN SUB ZERO TEMPS BECAUSE THE FERALS THEY ARE CARING FOR HAD THE BLIZZARD WINDS COVER UP THE DOOR TO THIER SHELTER TO DIG THEM OUT AND LET THEM INDOORS UNTIL THE STORM IS OVER, OR HOW MANY GO OUT IN THE RAIN AND BARE FEET TO PUT OUT THE FOOD BOWL BECAUSE THE CATS ARE IN THE WINDOW BEGGING BUT YOU KNOW IF YOU DONT GET IT OUT THERE FAST THEY WILL RUN OFF, SO YOU HURRY AND FORGET THE SHOES SO YOU DONT MISS THEM.  ALL JUST TO GET A GOOD LOOK AT THE CATS AND MAKE SURE EVERYONE IS STILL HEALTHY AND INJURY FREE SINCE YOU DID THE SAME A FEW DAYS EARLIER WHEN THEY CAME BY FOR A MEAL. MANY WOULD CALL THIS NUTS BUT MOST WOULD CALL IT THE LIFE OF A DEDICATED CAREGIVER.
        ALTHOUGH MOST FERALS WILL NOT SNUGGLE UP TO YOU AND LOVE YOU THE WAY A PET WOULD FOR CARING SO DEEPLY FOR THEM THEY DO SHOW THIER LOVE FOR YOU BY RETURNING EVERY NIGHT FOR THIER MEAL, AND ACCEPTING WHAT YOU PUT IN THIER BOWL. THEY TRUST YOU BECAUSE THEY EAT WHAT YOU GIVE THEM EVERY NIGHT AND THEY DEPEND ON YOU FOR THIER MEAL AND SHELTER FROM THE ELEMENTS.  THEY SHOW THIER LOVE IN THE COLD STARES THEY GIVE YOU FROM BEHIND THE FENCE AS YOU SET THIER DISH OUT EVERY NIGHT AND THEY EVEN THOUGH THEY DONT SHOW THIER LOVE FOR YOU THE WAY REGULAR PET CAT S DO YOU FEEL THIER LOVE AS YOU WATCH THEM EAT, SLEEP IN THIER HOUSING, OR AS THEY SNUGGLE UP IN THE BLANKETS YOU PROVIDED FOR THEM IN THE COLD.  THEY SHOW THIER LOVE JUST BY ACCEPTING OUR HELP.  THIS MAKES IT ALL WORTH IT, ALL WORTH THE EFFORT AND HELP YOU GIVE THEM.
        KEEP UP YOUR GOOD WORK.  PEOPLE MAY SAY YOU CANNOT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE BY HELPING ONE CAT, BUT YOU ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE TO HIM.  AND THAT IS IMPORTANT TO HIM.  SINCERLY ELISSA