Feral Cats (?) and the WI Legislature.

  • Donna Gasbarro
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2008

      New Bill May be Used to Target Feral Cats

      Introduced by Representative Ron Kind (D-Wisconsin), HR 767 is titled the Refuge Ecology Protection, Assistance, and Immediate Response Act, or REPAIR Act. The purpose of the bill is "to protect, conserve, and restore native fish, wildlife, and their natural habitats at national wildlife refuges through cooperative, incentive-based grants to control, mitigate, and eradicate harmful nonnative species, and for other purposes."

      Although the bill does not specifically mention cats (or any other animal), the broad wording of the act leaves for a "broad" interpretation. Ultimately, if the bill is passed it will allow the "control, mitigation, and eradication" of any animal demeaned a "harmful nonnative species." Allowing such interpretation and not providing clear definition could pose threatening to feral cats; especially, if someone makes the argument feral cats are a "harmful nonnative species" and a detriment to other native species.

      On October 22 of this year, the H.R. 767 bill was passed by the House of Representatives and it is now being reviewed by the Committee on Environment and Public Works. Once reviewed by the Committee, the bill will go before the Senate. If passed, the REPAIR Act will allow for the mass killing of numerous species, including cats, all at the tax payer's expense.

      To learn more about the bill and decide for yourself, please visit www.opencongress.org/bill/110-h767/show *

      *ACR cannot verify the contents of the website www.opencongress.org and ACR does not necessarily agree with the opinions posted there.

    • Marsha
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 8, 2008
        This is a *national* bill, not WI legislature. Crap. While I was
        watching state stuff (feral pigs have now been designated as harmful
        wild animals in Wisconsin (AB-334, signed by the governor 03/20/08)),
        a rep from my own district was doing the below at a national level.
        What the heck does "and for other purposes" mean???

        Marsha

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2008
          Here's another link to info:

          http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-767

          It does not say what a companion Senate bill number would be. I tried
          searching Senate bills for "nonnative species" and got lots of hits,
          but nothing with the exact title of the HR bill. Arrgggghhh, such a
          list I got, and each one with a multi-million dollar price tag...and
          that's just a tiny fraction of what gets introduced by people that we
          PAY to do this. So many redundant bills too, 'cause each one's gotta
          get their name on something to prove to the people that elected them
          that they're doing something.

          Marsha
        • Jessica Frohman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2008

            Hi folks:

            Just wanted to let you all know that Alley Cat Allies is tracking this bill and as of right now, there is no movement on this bill in committee and we do not expect there to be any. Should this status change, we will be sure to let you know. More than likely this will be through a Feral Power!, or advocacy e-newsletter. You can sign up for those emails at http://action.alleycat.org/feralpower.

            Thank you!

            Jess

            Please include all previous correspondence when replying.
            ____________________________________
            Jessica Frohman
            Senior Campaign Manager, Alley Cat Allies
            7920 Norfolk Ave., Suite 600 ● Bethesda , MD 20814-2525
            O: 240-482-1988 ● F: 240-482-1990 ●
            www.alleycat.org

            If you don't believe in killing cats, you're already an advocate.

            Join FeralPower! (http://action.alleycat.org/feralpower) today to show your
            support and stay informed regarding issues impacting stray and feral cats.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9, 2008
              Pardon me for asking, but what does this have to do with the WI Legislature?

              ---- Donna Gasbarro <gr8danez3@...> wrote:

              > New Bill May be Used to Target Feral Cats
              > Introduced by Representative Ron Kind (D-Wisconsin), HR 767 is titled the Refuge Ecology Protection, Assistance, and Immediate Response Act, or REPAIR Act. The purpose of the bill is "to protect, conserve, and restore native fish, wildlife, and their natural habitats at national wildlife refuges through cooperative, incentive-based grants to control, mitigate, and eradicate harmful nonnative species, and for other purposes."
              >
              > Although the bill does not specifically mention cats (or any other animal), the broad wording of the act leaves for a "broad" interpretation. Ultimately, if the bill is passed it will allow the "control, mitigation, and eradication" of any animal demeaned a "harmful nonnative species." Allowing such interpretation and not providing clear definition could pose threatening to feral cats; especially, if someone makes the argument feral cats are a "harmful nonnative species" and a detriment to other native species.
              >
              > On October 22 of this year, the H.R. 767 bill was passed by the House of Representatives and it is now being reviewed by the Committee on Environment and Public Works. Once reviewed by the Committee, the bill will go before the Senate. If passed, the REPAIR Act will allow for the mass killing of numerous species, including cats, all at the tax payer's expense.
              >
              > To learn more about the bill and decide for yourself, please visit www.opencongress.org/bill/110-h767/show *
              >
              > *ACR cannot verify the contents of the website www.opencongress.org and ACR does not necessarily agree with the opinions posted there.

              Paul T. O'Leary
              Chronic Nuisance
              Madison, WI USA
            • Paul T. O'Leary
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 9, 2008
                Disregard! My Email blipped, and didn't show the later clarifying message, until just now. Sorry!