Cape May, New Jersey Promises to Protect the Lives of Outdoor Cats

  • Feral Power!
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2008
      Untitled Document

        Cape May, New Jersey Promises to Protect the Lives of Outdoor Cats

      Dear Supporter:

      We want to thank you for taking the time to support Cape May’s cats. With your help, we were able to present a petition to the City Council signed by over 9,000 supporters nationwide and assemble dozens of local supporters to rally in front of Cape May’s City Hall. Together, our actions caught the attention of more than eighty local and national media outlets.

      Our efforts paid off.

      On Tuesday, the city promised to protect the lives of local outdoor cats by continuing the Trap-Neuter-Return program established 12 years ago. City leaders acknowledged that the Trap-Neuter-Return program is nationally and internationally recognized for humanely reducing and managing the city’s population of feral cats. They confirmed that Trap-Neuter-Return is an essential program that has been truly successful.

      While the City’s intentions are good, it is likely the city will need assistance to carry out what it has promised.

      Alley Cat Allies will be watching how the plan is implemented and assisting to make sure the cats are kept safe.

      Under the plan passed by the city, any cats who live near shorebird nests are either moved 1,000 feet from the area or humanely contained. Any outdoor cats who might not yet be neutered and vaccinated by the city will be included in the long-running Trap-Neuter-Return program. Volunteer caregivers will continue to care for the cats.

      Cape May is an important example for cities around the country. With your support, we will continue to fight for our nation’s cats and make sure the world knows that feral and stray cats deserve protection.

      Sincerely,
      Alley Cat Allies

        Elena Johnson, Alley Cat Allies’ Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator, leads supporters in chants in Cape May , NJ on Tuesday.

      Support Us

      Take Action

      Join Feral Power!

      Alley Cat Allies · 7920 Norfolk Avenue · Suite 600 · Bethesda, MD 20814-2525 · www.alleycat.org
      ACA is the owner and sole moderator of the Feral Power! e-mail list.

      To prevent mailbox filters from deleting mailings from Feral Power!, add alleycat@... to your address book.

      Remove yourself from all mailings from Alley Cat Allies.