Questionnaire

  • Heidi M. Shields
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22 2:02 PM
      > Message: 1
      > Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:41:26 -0400
      > From: "Jessica Frohman" <jfrohman@...>
      > Subject: WisCats Questionaire
      >
      > Hello,
      >

      > Please take a few minutes to fill out the questionnaire. It is an
      >
      > easy way for the group to get to know each other, and your feline
      > experiences.
      >
      > Don't feel obligated to answer all the questions, only the ones you
      > choose.
      >
      > Please answer as many as you can and send it back to the group. This
      > will help get conversation going as we get closer to ACA's
      > Trap-Neuter-Return Workshops.
      >

      > Thanks!
      >

      > 1.) How many feral/stray cats are you presently involved in caring for?
      > (other than your own pet cats)
      1 stray currently and 1 that the neighbor "owns" but doesn't take care of.
      I also have 2 in the house that I live trapped last year and are semi-feral
      now. There are also 2 strays that I had neutered and live in the house now,
      but I consider them pets now.

      > 2.) How long have you been caring for the colon(y/ies) you're now
      > involved with?
      a year
      > 3.) How many of them are spayed or neutered?
      all but 2 males>
      > 4.) How much experience do you have with TNR and using the humane traps?
      I am new to it. We are trying to start a program with the Columbia County
      Humane Society whith whom I am a board member
      > 5.) How many of the cats you're now caring for have been born in
      > your colon(y/ies) since you've been feeding them?
      > none

      > 6.) What do you feed your colony cats, and do you also provide fresh
      > water?
      Yes. They get dry food (Science Diet) and a small amount of canned every
      day
      > 7.) Where do you usually get your cat food? Do you pay full price,
      > or do you get a price break or donated cat food?
      I pay full price at Petsmart
      > 8.) How often do you feed your colony cats? Approximately what time
      > of day?
      Once a day when they come around, usually about 7PM
      > 9.) Do you have a problem with raccoons or other animals coming to
      > eat the cats' food? (Have you found any useful ways of dealing with
      > this? Please share!)
      I had a racoon last week and a skunk. I scared them off (after I let them
      eat since they need to eat too) Now I bring the food in at night.
      > 10.) Do you provide any form of shelter for your colony cats? If
      > so, what? (new & interesting ideas are always welcome)
      > They sleep on a heated bed in our garage in cold weather

      > 11.) How many kittens (if any!) do you expect to be born in your
      > colon(y/ies) this kitten season?
      > None
      >

      > 12.) How/where have you been getting the cats spay/neutered?
      there is a vet locally who offers a discount for strays and ferals
      > 13.) Is "Eartipping" an essential part of your TNR routine?
      > Yes
      >
      > 14.) How much have you typically been paying for spay/neuter
      >
      > & etc.? What does the "etc." include (testing for leukemia & FIV,
      > Rabies & FVRCP vaccination, leukemia vaccination, worming,
      >
      > flea treatment, ear mite treatment, eartipping, etc.) for the price?
      I pay $45 for spaying with a distemper vaccination and $20 for neuters with
      a distemper vaccination; I do the deworming myself with a bulk supply of
      panacur

      > 15.) Are you paying out of your own pocket for spay/neuter/etc,
      >
      > or are you part of a nonprofit that pays for the spay/neuter?
      > I pay out of my own pocket
      >
      > 16.) Do you also keep your own records of each TNR,
      >
      > or do you leave that to your vet?
      I don't have a big enough colony to worry about that yet

      > 17.) Where geographically are you located? (nearest reasonable-
      > sized city, state) 35 miles north of Madison, WI
      > 18.) Are you in an urban, rural, or suburban environment?
      small rural town
      > 19.)How long have you been involved in cat rescue? How long with
      > feral cats?
      > almost a year
      >

      > 20.) Are your family and/or friends supportive of your efforts?
      > Absolutely not. My family has alienated me completely, but that is
      > why I prefer the company of my cats.
      >

      > 21.) Do you have contact with other cat rescue/feral cat TNR people
      > in your geographic area for mutual help and support?
      Yes. I am meeting new people every day
      > 22.) What do you do when a cat in your colon(y/ies) gets sick or
      > injured?
      > Catch and vet
      >

      > 23.) Although it is very important to stay current with your
      >
      > tetanus vaccination, have you ever considered getting a
      >
      > "preventative" rabies vaccination?
      > No
      >

      > 24.) How many "pet cats" do you have (as opposed to your colony
      > cats) are they a pure breed, pound kitty, stray, tamed feral.
      >
      > In other words, what's your kitties' story?
      I have 15. 5 were private adoptions from friends, one is a Persian Mix and
      one is a Siamese mix. 5 were adopted from the humane society, one is a
      siamese mix and one is a burmese mix. One was adopted from my vet. Two
      were live trapped and two were strays that have become part of the family.

      > 25.) Will you be attending one of the Alley Cat Allies TNR workshops,

      Yes. Madison on 8-31
    • Marce
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 22 8:50 PM
        1* How many cats are you presently involved in caring for (other
        than your own pet cats)?

        eight

        2* Are they all in one colony or location, or are they in different
        locations?

        five in one colony, three from different locations

        3* How many of them are spayed or neutered?

        All of them. I have three spayed females, five neutered males

        4* How long have you been caring for the colon(y/ies) you're now
        involved with?

        Charlotte (see photo album) for about 3 years, Kalli & Otis 2
        years,not quite a year on the 4 kittens, and the smart recently
        trapped black & white kitty showed up about 3 months ago.
        (see photo album)

        5* What do you feed your colony cats?

        California Natural dry food and Wellness chicken canned food. I feed
        them the premium food because it is higher in protein and keeps them
        healthier. It is not full of "fillers", therefore, they do not have
        to eat as much of it to meet their daily nutritional requirements.My
        husband and I treat these less fortunate kitties as if they were our
        own, so we feed them the same thing that we feed our indoor kitties.

        6* Where do you usually get your cat food? Do you pay full price, or
        do you get a price break or donated cat food?

        I pay full price at my local pet store and/or vets office.

        7* How often do you feed your colony cats? Approximately what time
        of day?

        These kitties only come out at night (most of them run if you even
        peek out the window at them) so I feed them once a day, just as it
        gets dark. They know when it is feeding time. I feed them in a semi-
        private area on my porch (covered & sheltered), and I have set up a
        small night vision video camera, so that I can monitor & record their
        activities. Like making sure everyone is getting enough to eat, if
        one of them is injured, who hasn't shown up for awhile, or when a
        new kitty shows up that might be a potential TNR (if they aren't a
        neighbors cat or a lost cat that needs to find his home or a new
        home)

        8* Do you have a problem with raccoons or other animals coming to
        eat the cats' food? (Have you found any useful ways of dealing with
        this? Please share)
        Yes, I have had raccoons at my feeding station. They actually scare
        the cats away too. I am fortunate to have the video cam to monitor
        this. When they show up, I can immediately scare them away. However,
        they don't come to often, because the best way to get rid of the
        coons (in my experience) is to have your garden hose ready, so when
        you do see them, spray them with a good
        HARD jet of water. They do not like that at all.

        9* Do you provide fresh water as well as food for your colony cats?

        Yes, fresh water and fresh food every night. Heated bowls in winter.

        10* Do you provide any form of shelter for your colony cats? If so,
        what?(Always on the lookout for new ingenious ideas!)

        Kind of. The feeding area is a covered porch in a sheltered corner
        that rain and snow very rarely gets to. In the winter I build a
        brick wall about two feet high and then I cover it with a flat roof,
        so three side are enclosed, and the open side faces a wall. Inside
        of it I place a large outdoor heating pad with a soft fleece cover
        on it. That is where I put their food in the winter. They usually
        tend to hang out a little longer on the heating pad, but none have
        ever really stayed for more than an hour.

        11* How many kittens (if any!) do you expect to be born in your
        colonies this kitten season?

        zero

        12* How/where have you been getting cats spay/neutered (private vet,
        feral cat clinic, Humane Society program, etc.)?

        I started with the help of a wonderful rescue group, who gave me all
        the information, tools and the help I needed to start doing TNR.
        This young man would pick up my kitties, take them
        to the vet and then bring them back. I am now on my own and I use a
        private vet.

        13* How much have you typically been paying to have a female spayed
        & etc.? What does the "etc." include for the price?

        $65.00 includes spay or neuter, FDRC & rabies. (however,
        twice my vet has not charged me at all) The one thing that I now
        regret not doing is ear tipping. I will start having my vet do this
        with my next TNR cat. I printed out the info and procedure from ACA
        website, and he thought it was a great idea.

        14* Are you paying out of your own pocket for spay/neuter & etc, or
        are you part of a nonprofit that pays for the services?

        I pay out of pocket

        15* Where geographically are you located? (nearest reasonable-sized
        city,state, country)

        Racine, Wisconsin. About 20 miles south of Milwaukee

        16* Are you in an urban, rural, or suburban environment? rural

        17* How long have you been involved in cat rescue? How long with
        feral cats?

        I am only involved with feral cats, unless, of coarse, a stray or
        lost cat wanders in and requires help. I have been passively
        involved for three years, more actively involved for two years. I do
        not seek out the cats, they find me. Believe me, they watch each
        other and they know where to find the food. I have
        gone door to door letting the neighbors know what I do, and telling
        them if they see or hear problems with cats to call me (and they
        have).

        18* Do you have any experience with using humane traps to trap cats?
        Yes, quite a bit.

        19* Do you have contact with other cat rescue/feral cat TNR people
        in your geographic area for mutual help and support?

        Yes, cat rescue, but not specifically feral cat/TNR people.

        20* Are your family and friends supportive of what you are doing?

        Yes very, I dont know any body who isnt supportive.

        21* How many "pet cats" do you have (as distinct from your colony
        cats)?

        I have two Norwegian Forest Cats (strictly indoors).

        22* What do you do when a cat in your colon(y/ies) gets sick or
        injured?

        I make every attempt to trap and take to the vet to see if it is
        reasonable to treat the sick or injured cat. If euthanasia is the
        only reasonable and humane choice, then sadly, so be it.

        23* Do you keep your own records of each TNR or do you leave that
        to the vet?

        I keep my own records with photos and documentation from the vets
        office.

        24* Will you be attending the Ally Cat Allies workshop this
        August/September?

        Yes, in Milwaukee

        Thanks,
        Marce
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
          MY SURVEY RESULTS:

          1.) How many feral/stray cats are you presently involved in caring for?
          (other than your own pet cats)
          4 on the property at Taliesin (google it, Spring Green) & 1 in my house.

          2.) How long have you been caring for the colon(y/ies) you're now
          involved with?
          About 6 years.

          3.) How many of them are spayed or neutered?
          All

          4.) How much experience do you have with TNR and using the humane traps?
          15+ years

          5.) How many of the cats you're now caring for have been born in
          your colon(y/ies) since you've been feeding them?
          None

          6.) What do you feed your colony cats, and do you also provide fresh water?
          Friskies canned & C/D dry because one of the females tends to chronic
          UTIs, so best to keep them all on C/D.

          7.) Where do you usually get your cat food? Do you pay full price,
          or do you get a price break or donated cat food?
          Friskies canned from Walmart, C/D dry from vet at a discount

          8.) How often do you feed your colony cats? Approximately what time
          of day?
          Every day no matter what the weather.

          9.) Do you have a problem with raccoons or other animals coming to
          eat the cats' food? (Have you found any useful ways of dealing with
          this? Please share!)
          Racoons. They have opened those metal trash cans that have the lids that
          theoretically lock when you snap down the handle. They can open those.
          Last winter one of them got a can of the Friskies open! So I hang the
          metal trash cans from a hook in the barn which is their place. I keep
          the cans of Friskies in the can except in winter. Then I bring one out
          each day.

          10.) Do you provide any form of shelter for your colony cats? If
          so, what? (new & interesting ideas are always welcome)
          They have a huge 150+ year old barn. The main floor is missing doors but
          there are rooms at one end that are totally out of the wind flow &
          there is lots o f hay. On the lower floor, where their feeding station
          is, I have built a two tier wooden platform up against the stone wall.
          On that there are boxes stuffed with quilt batting, lots of old towels
          & bath rugs & better yet lots of old sleeping bags & quilts. I drape
          the quilts over the top & down the sides to cut out any drafts & when
          it's really cold, I put in a heating pad as well. They can choose
          between this & the hay stacks on the upper floor.

          11.) How many kittens (if any!) do you expect to be born in your
          colon(y/ies) this kitten season?
          None

          12.) How/where have you been getting the cats spay/neutered?
          (private vet, feral cat clinic, Humane Society program, etc.)
          Private vet here in the village has a great Farm Cats Program that gives
          big discounts.

          13.) Is "Eartipping" an essential part of your TNR routine?
          Yes

          14.) How much have you typically been paying for spay/neuter
          & etc.? What does the "etc." include (testing for leukemia & FIV,
          Rabies & FVRCP vaccination, leukemia vaccination, worming,
          flea treatment, ear mite treatment, eartipping, etc.) for the price?
          $80-$150 for the works, depending on spay or neuter. But they get
          everything.

          15.) Are you paying out of your own pocket for spay/neuter/ etc,
          or are you part of a nonprofit that pays for the spay/neuter?
          I have my own 501c3 with its own account & credit card. All expenses
          come out of that. It's supported with donations from me, friends, &
          siblings.

          16.) Do you also keep your own records of each TNR,
          or do you leave that to your vet?
          Both

          17.) Where geographically are you located? (nearest reasonable-
          sized city, state)
          Spring Green. About 30 miles NW of Madison.

          18.) Are you in an urban, rural, or suburban environment?
          Rural

          19.) How long have you been involved in cat rescue? How long with
          feral cats?
          20 years or so.

          20.) Are your family and/or friends supportive of your efforts?
          Daughters tolerate me. Siblings contribute. Friends go both ways.

          21.) Do you have contact with other cat rescue/feral cat TNR people
          in your geographic area for mutual help and support?
          Yes. One or two local but Dane County Friends of Ferals are terrific.

          22.) What do you do when a cat in your colon(y/ies) gets sick or
          injured?
          3 of them can be crated with some r esistance; the 4th won't let me even
          touch her even after 5 years.

          23.) Although it is very important to stay current with your
          tetanus vaccination, have you ever considered getting a
          "preventative" rabies vaccination (or have gotten this already)?
          No.

          24.) How many "pet cats" do you have (as opposed to your colony
          cats) are they a pure breed, pound kitty, stray, tamed feral.
          In other words, what's your kitties' story?
          9 cats of my own. Two fosters. One, Louisa, was picked up last fall,
          hysterical & unbelievably stressed. She needs a bedroom to herself as
          she can't handle other cats. Herbie, a character, who needs to be
          around fewer cats & in a home of his own.

          Pam