Attend the Fix-It-Forum via webinars

  • Feral Power!
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2007
      Untitled Document

      Fix-It-Forum seminars broadcasted live via webinars!

      PetSmart Charities will broadcast seminars from the Fix-It-Forum live through webinars. Sessions will fill up quickly, so register now!

      Taking Spay/Neuter on the Road
      Friday, October 26th, 2007
      11:30 am - 1:00 pm  PST; 12:30 - 2:00 pm MST; 1:30 - 3:00 pm CST;
      2:30 - 4:00 pm EST
      Presented by Dr. Leslie D. Appel, Director of Shelter Veterinary Outreach, ASPCA and Timy Sullivan, President, PetFix Northeast Ohio.

      If you would like to learn more about getting a spay/neuter program to as many places in your region as possible, this seminar is for you! This seminar will teach you about successfully running mobile spay/neuter programs. You will learn about two approaches for mobile programs: mobile clinics and MASH programs.

      How to Launch a Feral Cat Program
      Saturday, October 27th, 2007
      11:30 am -1:00 pm PST; 12:30 - 2:00 pm MST; 1:30 - 3:00 pm CST;
      2:30 - 4:00 pm EST
      Presented by Melissa Newton, President and CEO, AZCats

      If you would like to learn more about starting a spay/neuter program in your community, this workshop is for you! This seminar will teach you the ins and outs of getting a spay/neuter program off the ground. You will learn about funding, hiring veterinarians, working with volunteers, and recording your statistics so you can demonstrate measurable results.

       REGISTER NOW!

      Alley Cat Allies · 7920 Norfolk Avenue · Suite 600 · Bethesda, MD 20814-2525 · www.alleycat.org
      ACA is the owner and sole moderator of the Feral Power! e-mail list.

      To prevent mailbox filters from deleting mailings from Feral Power!, add alleycat@... to your address book.

      Remove yourself from all mailings from Alley Cat Allies.
    • Marsha
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 23, 2007
        This morning the kittens were watching and waiting for me, I put out two
        cans of Iams kitten food. It was very cold from being in the van. They
        wouldn't eat it. I put some dry chow down while I went inside to heat
        up the canned food (also added just a little water). They were waiting
        for me. They still wouldn't eat it, but just crouched there waiting.
        So I took a can of adult turkey weight management (Purina ProPlan), put
        a couple of spoons of that on top, and they began to eat. That food was
        cold from the van (38 degrees this a.m.). Also, the last couple of days
        their dad (I think) has figured out when dinner is served, and sometimes
        waits with the kittens, staying back a few feet until the kittens have
        eaten some, and I have backed away farther. Can't touch 'em, can't play
        with 'em, but they sure are spoiled.

        Marsha
      • Schneider, Laurie S
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 23, 2007
          Message
          i ALWAYS FIND MYSELF FEEDING STRAY CATS, HAVE A COUPLE HANGING around now.  Not always feral ones, the two I have now were positively someones cats at sometime as want to come in the house and I can easily handle them, they are sticking around though were there is food.  I ususally rig up quite a container for strays to get in from the cold, at this time,  not sure if used overnite - I talke a large plastc tub, I have lined it with insulation and blankets on inside and then blanket in on the outside and then wrap a plastic tarp around it all - then set it under a porch and brace some boards against it to break the wind and protect entrance some.

          I have always fed my cats some wet food along with dry, same with outside cats, but I would suggest you try to make sure the ferals are use to the dry and accept it readily as with the cold weather coming, the wet food won't stay edible long.  In bad weather, they won't always be coming out at the same time of day looking for the food.

          Three of my house cats were actually ferals - two taken in when quite young, the third was young, pregnant, I fed it, got it to come to me, let me handle it, I brought her in close to time it would have its babies, kept it seperated from my other cats for a while, it had its babies, I found homes for the babies and kept her as one of my house cats.  I can't say my other cats love her, they all coexist pretty well, except my birman is still quite hissy to her even  after three years .... but you know, my MaMa Kitty is my true, lover lap cat.  I can't sit down without her thinking she should be on my lap, I love her to death, she is my total sweety pie - and too think she was a feral?

          Thanks for listening ....

          Laurie Schneider
          Paul Schlosser Agency 379-034
          502 North Bridge St
          Chippewa Falls, WI  54729
          715.723.3293  ~  Phone
          715.720.4974  ~  Fax

          This morning the kittens were watching and waiting for me, I put out two
          cans of Iams kitten food. It was very cold from being in the van. They
          wouldn't eat it. I put some dry chow down while I went inside to heat
          up the canned food (also added just a little water). They were waiting
          for me. They still wouldn't eat it, but just crouched there waiting.
          So I took a can of adult turkey weight management (Purina ProPlan), put
          a couple of spoons of that on top, and they began to eat. That food was
          cold from the van (38 degrees this a.m.). Also, the last couple of days
          their dad (I think) has figured out when dinner is served, and sometimes
          waits with the kittens, staying back a few feet until the kittens have
          eaten some, and I have backed away farther. Can't touch 'em, can't play
          with 'em, but they sure are spoiled.

          Marsha

          If you do not want to receive future unsolicited commercial email advertisements or promotions from American Family Insurance you may opt-out by clicking here
          Note: After opting-out, you may receive emails that you have specifically requested from American Family. If you are a current American Family customer, you may still receive transactional emails regarding your existing policies or accounts with American Family. American Family Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates utilize the PossibleNow DNESolution to administer this email opt-out process.